Kids and Rules!

sarahlfiles

I am leaving on Thursday on the Triumph with my mom and 9yo niece. I've cruised 3 times previously but never with any kiddos. Tomorrow night I'm going to sit down with her and go over some rules... I'm just not sure which rules I should go over! We are going to talk about safety, of course, and checking in and out camp etc. But what else is important enough to mention pre-cruise?

Thanks and happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please - don't let your 9 year old niece check her self out of Camp Carnival. There are just too many bad things that can happen to a little girl these days. I cruised with my niece when she was 10, and I would never have let her check herself out alone. She also needs to know that is she gets separated from you when she is not in Camp Carnival, she needs to find a female staff member, and let her know that she is lost. They are everywhere, and will help her find you.

Please, no jumping into the hot tub! I wasn't even in it, and I'll never get the image of that child cannon balling into the full hot tub, sending water everywher including into some expensive looking drinks.

That was a case of a parent not watching their child I think, unsafe and extremely disruptive btw- saw him do this about three times before he started just splashing everyone.

Every cruise we sit with our kids 9 and 13 we go over check out from clubs, where they are allowed to go alone and where they are not allowed to. We go over what to do if they need help , in all our vacation we have never had an issue but we still go over the yelling for help ect just like at home. I like to remind my kids we are not at home and they need their public manners on the ships. Also when we get on the ships I have each kid show me where the club is to our room and other areas they are allowed to go to. I hope you guys have an amazing trip.

Please - don't let your 9 year old niece check her self out of Camp Carnival. There are just too many bad things that can happen to a little girl these days. I cruised with my niece when she was 10, and I would never have let her check herself out alone. She also needs to know that is she gets separated from you when she is not in Camp Carnival, she needs to find a female staff member, and let her know that she is lost. They are everywhere, and will help her find you.

If permission is not given for your neice to leave the club area she will not be able to participate in some of the events. Speak to the Counselor about which events will be effected.

The family cruising board also has great info.

No signing out privileges. It will mean hunting her down all the time. Instead make sure to check on her frequently. I never let more than two hours go by without checking in with my son. He usually didn't want to leave but I just wanted him to have the option.

The children should never be in the pool or hot tubs without a parent nearby. It is the rule and for safety reasons. So the jumping in the hot tubs shouldn't happen at all.

I am sure a 9 year old girl is not going to be unruly. She will probably be somewhat shy in the first place traveling without siblings and friends.

I'm sure everything will go great!

we will be cruising with our 7 yo and 3 yo - both their first cruise - and I am so nervous, especially for my 3 yo. I joke that as soon as she gets on the boat, she gets a life jacket and won't take it off til we get off the boat.. LOL.

But i was thinking that I will get ID bracelets for both of them and write our cabin number on them so that if (more for my 7 yo) we somehow do get separated, he has a place he can always go back to (aside from finding a crew member of course).

my rules will be: always stay with a parent, no checking in/out AO by yourself (7 yo), no going out of cabin without a parent, and no climbing on rails (if there are any you can reach)!!

i'm sure i will think of many more the closer we get!

we will be cruising with our 7 yo and 3 yo - both their first cruise - and I am so nervous, especially for my 3 yo. I joke that as soon as she gets on the boat, she gets a life jacket and won't take it off til we get off the boat.. LOL.

But i was thinking that I will get ID bracelets for both of them and write our cabin number on them so that if (more for my 7 yo) we somehow do get separated, he has a place he can always go back to (aside from finding a crew member of course).

my rules will be: always stay with a parent, no checking in/out AO by yourself (7 yo), no going out of cabin without a parent, and no climbing on rails (if there are any you can reach)!!

i'm sure i will think of many more the closer we get!

Before you even get on the ship, there will be a table set up in the terminal where you register your kids. They will provide wrist bands for your kids, with their lifeboat number on it and other information----if there's an emergency, the counselors take the kids to wherever they need to go. I don't believe a 7 year old can even check themselves out of the club, although I'm not sure what the age is for checking themselves out, but I know at 7 they can't. My goddaughter Katherine is 6 and she could not check herself out of the club, we had to get her whenever we wanted to do something.

Sarah, I hope you have the notarized letter from your niece's parents giving you permission to travel with the child. The airline may ask for it and the cruise line might also. I always keep the letter from Katherine's parents whenever I go anywhere with her, even to places like Cedar Point or Hershey Park. If you don't have this letter, and they ask for it, you won't be allowed to board the ship, and you won't get a refund.

Before you even get on the ship, there will be a table set up in the terminal where you register your kids. They will provide wrist bands for your kids, with their lifeboat number on it and other information....

Sarah, I hope you have the notarized letter from your niece's parents giving you permission to travel with the child. The airline may ask for it and the cruise line might also. I always keep the letter from Katherine's parents whenever I go anywhere with her, even to places like Cedar Point or Hershey Park. If you don't have this letter, and they ask for it, you won't be allowed to board the ship, and you won't get a refund.

The first paragraph is not true on a Princess cruise. They do not get bracelets to wear and they do not have to register either before or after boarding. However, since my DGD is autistic my DD had one made up for her with the cabin number before we left.

Regarding the notarized letter YES you need it. I go one step further. I make my kids also give me a copy of their passport signature page as well - showing their signatures for the letters. Also, don't forget the letter to treat for medical emergencies as well - and a copy of the card. Yes, my brother was asked for the letters (permission) when taking his son from LAX to San Juan before they'd even let him on the plane.

Please, no jumping into the hot tub! I wasn't even in it, and I'll never get the image of that child cannon balling into the full hot tub, sending water everywher including into some expensive looking drinks.

That was a case of a parent not watching their child I think, unsafe and extremely disruptive btw- saw him do this about three times before he started just splashing everyone.

I was seated next to a woman at the pool one day. It was mid-September so not a lot of kids on board. She had two boys maybe 7-9 years old. They kept going to the bar for frozen virgin cocktails. After three of them they started whining that they wanted to go in the hot tub but there were too many people in it. She clearly did not want to be bothered with them. She then said just jump in and start splashing around and they'll leave. So, that's what the little darlings did. She smirked and said ah it worked and went back to her book. I should have let her have it but didn't feel like getting into it. It's not always the kids who are to blame but usually a parent on vacation - from parenting.

When my daughter was 8, I didn't allow her checking out privileges. IMO, even 9 or 10 is too young. On that cruise, the one time that status affected her was during the "passenger scavenger hunt." The kids who were able to check themselves out went out on their own or paired up with another girl. My girl went with a Pirateer (the mid age group on Princess at that time) counselor. They even stopped by our table in the buffet so my daughter can "collect" my hubby for "bald passenger."

I would add "don't leave your drink unattended" to any list. My hubby always reminds my daughter to watch her voice (she talks loudly) in the hallways and don't let the cabin door slam (he has to remind me too to close it gently).

And yes, Princess doesn't have wristbands. When we sailed on Carnival (last time was in 2002), all the kids got green wristbands with their muster number on it.

We cruised with 7 grandkids three years ago and I typed up a 'cruise contract' that addressed all the issues and behavior we expected. We talked over all the rules, expectations and dangers with the kids and then had them sign the contract--penalties for breaking the rules were also laid out. They were ages 5-11.

We did not let them check themselves out except for giving temporary permission when they were doing group activities, like the scavenger hunt or Pirate Parade. We were able to let them sign out just for those, then back to no sign-out.

Be sure to bring the parental permission slips--they definitely checked these carefully, and medical permission slips.

We did not let the kids walk around the ship without us except for very limited occasions, like getting ice cream near the pool or down one deck with several of them together to get nightly snacks. The oldest boy was allowed to go play baseketball a times, with strict time limits.

Also (This was Royal Caribbean) we needed the permission slips for them to sign up for any activity, like the climbing wall or ice skating, that had some risk--we only had to use them once for each activity.

Regarding the notarized letter YES you need it. I go one step further. I make my kids also give me a copy of their passport signature page as well - showing their signatures for the letters. Also, don't forget the letter to treat for medical emergencies as well - and a copy of the card. Yes, my brother was asked for the letters (permission) when taking his son from LAX to San Juan before they'd even let him on the plane.

Oh, that's a great idea about the passport page----I never thought of that, but it's a really good solution. Katherine's parents are getting her a passport, and I'm going to take your advice and keep a copy of her info page with me at all times. Thanks for great tip.

• 3 weeks later...

These are my family's key cruise rules:

1. BUDDY SYSTEM: Always be with another person from our group, unless you are at a ship-sponsored event like Camp Carnival. No roaming around alone.

2. CABINS ARE FOR FAMILIES: Do not go into anyone’s cabin, and do not let anyone else into our cabin, ever. Even with the door open.

3. HANDS TO YOURSELF, FEET ON FLOOR: No roughhousing or horseplay. No running. No climbing on anything, ever. It’s a small ship in a big ocean and a long way to the nearest hospital.

4. RESPECT AND COURTESY: Maintain situational awareness, use common sense, and be courteous at all times. Hold doors open for people behind you. Allow elevators to empty before getting on them. Sanitize hands before eating. Watch where you walk; do not cut people off. Moderate your voice. Be pleasant and be kind.

5. EMERGENCY = MUSTER: In a shipwide emergency, go immediately to our muster station. Do not go back to the cabin for a life jacket, and do not try to find us… we will find you.

I print a small copy of just the bolded words, laminate and hole-punch it, and put it on their lanyards with their sail & sign card. No excuse for "forgetting" the rules. ;)

I know you were asking about rules, but if I'd like to make another suggestion. If at all possible, have her go to the kids club on the first night. This is when none of the kids know each other, and the do a lot of activities to "break the ice". It always made it easier for DD when we sailed without a friend.