ATTN EARLY BOOKERS: Getaway sales continue

rhiannon35

JetBlue gives me a credit for future flight when my price goes down. They are very pleasant about it as well

Fwiw the credits do expire and since I don't fly that frequently but my friend has a home in Florida I just sell them to her.

Yes, JetBLue is very good with that. I love flying them for that reason.

We too booked early for the Getaway and don't get any of the recent perks. We booked early at a price we thought was fair and got to pick our room etc. Anyway, today I noticed the fare was $120 cheaper. I called NCL and spoke to our rep, he said all he could offer was an upgrade to a family balcony, no OBC. Plus to boot, he said you only get a 1 time adjustment and lose my current OBC so he recommended waiting. What is that all about? Don't they have a price guarantee policy? I think I'll just fill out the form online to get the credit.

Being a first time NCL cruiser, I'm beginning to understand the threads regarding their customer service going downhill. Seems like a lot of run around.

And I still don't understand the anger. You paid a price you agreed upon. I get feeling disappointed when you miss out on a better deal, but anger and blame just seems strange. It's called business and it happens in everything we do.

I don't understand checking back after you've made the final payment. You know they aren't going to give you the same offer and a new booking ... why do it to yourself? (not you, just anyone). I wouldn't even bother looking at it.

We too booked early for the Getaway and don't get any of the recent perks. We booked early at a price we thought was fair and got to pick our room etc. Anyway, today I noticed the fare was $120 cheaper. I called NCL and spoke to our rep, he said all he could offer was an upgrade to a family balcony, no OBC. Plus to boot, he said you only get a 1 time adjustment and lose my current OBC so he recommended waiting. What is that all about? Don't they have a price guarantee policy? I think I'll just fill out the form online to get the credit.

Being a first time NCL cruiser, I'm beginning to understand the threads regarding their customer service going downhill. Seems like a lot of run around.

I was going to upgrade to a different cabin, and they told me I would lose all of my OBCs (which are significant), so I didn't do it. I really didn't understand that because I was upgrading... paying more, not less. So that didn't make any sense to me.

Here's the price guarantee:

Just complete the "Best Price. Guaranteed." claim form and submit it online within 48 hours of making your booking. If it meets the Guarantee criteria and you choose to receive an Onboard Credit, we will automatically attach that credit to your account. Once you are on board the ship, you can use the credit however you please.

So, if you found a better price within 48 hours of booking, you should definitely submit the claim form to NCL and request your credit.

It's called a booking "incentive" for a reason it's to get people to book...if you already booked then that's not the problem of NCLs. They need to do something to fill the ship so they are doing what they have to. Do you expect them to just sit on their hands and say "well let's not make people who already booked mad so we just sail 1/2 full!" ?

The most obc I see when doing a mock booking for a cabin on the getaway that I could afford is $25 on ncl com so I don't see what the big deal is?

Just complete the "Best Price. Guaranteed." claim form and submit it online within 48 hours of making your booking. If it meets the Guarantee criteria and you choose to receive an Onboard Credit, we will automatically attach that credit to your account. Once you are on board the ship, you can use the credit however you please.

So, if you found a better price within 48 hours of booking, you should definitely submit the claim form to NCL and request your credit.

Just to clarify: NCL will only match price on their own website, not any TA offers. Most here think that NCL's "guarantee" is worth nothing - only very few people will ever be able to take advantage of that "within 48 hours of booking" limit.

The most obc I see when doing a mock booking for a cabin on the getaway that I could afford is $25 on ncl com so I don't see what the big deal is?

There at least was a offer just few days ago that gave you UDP, prepaid DSC and on top of that some OBC - at least $200 worth of perks per person even without the OBC, and the OBC I saw was I think $100 per cabin regardless of the category.

The price guarantee is virtually worthless and NCL knows it. Lots of people don't read the fine print and get nothing. The description you quoted is accurate but there are lots more strings attached in the fine print.

Just to clarify: NCL will only match price on their own website, not any TA offers. Most here think that NCL's "guarantee" is worth nothing - only very few people will ever be able to take advantage of that "within 48 hours of booking" limit.

It's kind of like those guarantees you see for a $2 item, that if defective and you send it back, you get your money back--only the shipping is $5....

NCL needs to fill the ship, so they are offering OBC to NEW bookings to make sure they meet that goal. To me, it's pretty simple. Unfortunately for us, we always need two connecting balcony cabins, so we have to book early. Lucky for us, our cabins on the Breakaway never went down in price, even though we booked more than one year in advance. When I booked, I knew there was a good chance deals could be had at the last minute, but it was more imortant to me to secure the cabins we needed.

BTW, we usually fly United, and I don't think they have any price guarantee.

Here's the way I look at it...I paid a price that was in my budget and one that I thought was a fair price. I have not taken many vacations in my 27 years and even I know that there is a chance that prices are going to drop (or go up.) I took the chance of booking the end of November for my March 1st sailing because I wanted to be sure to get the room that I wanted, where I wanted it.

When I heard that the prices dropped and NCL was offering greater OBC, I was disappointed for about all of 2 seconds. Because I know that I agreed to the price knowing it could drop but I took that chance anyways. I can still afford it and I'm still going to have a great time....nothing changed just because the price dropped. Maybe someone else got $50 more OBC than I or got the same cabin for $200 less. Oh well, thats not going to make or break me. I still paid a price that I feel was fair and within my budget.

NCL is a business and yes they are going to offer "sales" to sell more cabins....its what businesses do. They are trying to make money. I'm sure there were people who wanted to cruise with NCL but maybe couldn't afford it or didn't like the price. Now that there is a price drop, it is in their budget and they book rooms that otherwise wouldn't of sold. Can you imagine if they offered to refund everyone's money for the sale price? Thats hundreds/thousands of people calling in getting thousands and thousands of dollars back from NCL.

Here's the way I look at it...I paid a price that was in my budget and one that I thought was a fair price. I have not taken many vacations in my 27 years and even I know that there is a chance that prices are going to drop (or go up.) I took the chance of booking the end of November for my March 1st sailing because I wanted to be sure to get the room that I wanted, where I wanted it.

When I heard that the prices dropped and NCL was offering greater OBC, I was disappointed for about all of 2 seconds. Because I know that I agreed to the price knowing it could drop but I took that chance anyways. I can still afford it and I'm still going to have a great time....nothing changed just because the price dropped. Maybe someone else got $50 more OBC than I or got the same cabin for $200 less. Oh well, thats not going to make or break me. I still paid a price that I feel was fair and within my budget.

NCL is a business and yes they are going to offer "sales" to sell more cabins....its what businesses do. They are trying to make money. I'm sure there were people who wanted to cruise with NCL but maybe couldn't afford it or didn't like the price. Now that there is a price drop, it is in their budget and they book rooms that otherwise wouldn't of sold. Can you imagine if they offered to refund everyone's money for the sale price? Thats hundreds/thousands of people calling in getting thousands and thousands of dollars back from NCL.

+1.

This was my initial question. "Did you not book at a price you thought was fair?"

If not, I'm certain you wouldn't book. To freak out when expected price drops come is just an exercise in futility. Everyone knows the policy...

My Final payment is coming for my Breakaway cruise. Better believe I'll check in the days leading up to it whether it has dropped or not, but after that...I won't even bother to look. Because it won't matter.

Edited by Winston Wolf

I've had my Getaway cruise booked for almost a year now, and my rates are better than anything that is out there. Not only is my rate lower, but my OBCs total more than anything else they are offering. Not sure why yours weren't .... EDITED - I just realized that your price dropped for a last minute cruise. It makes sense now.

I agree....my current OBC is more than what the drop in price was, so there would be no point in trying to get it changed.

The only plus that I see with the newest offer is the $1000 airfare credit, but I NEVER book my air along with the cruise. Instead, I have two days' hotel in Miami paid for by NCL and a rental car.

I think the only people who might see a real difference are people booked in suites.....and because there are so few Haven suites, those NEED to be booked early. If you want one that badly, then you have to take the good with the bad. The room you want at a price you were willing to pay......or sit and wait for a better price/special offer and not get a suite or the room you want.

Seems pretty simple to me.

I called NCL back was able to upgrade from my large balcony (CET comped but paid about $60 to upgrade to a large balcony) to a spa balcony for free. I was able to change my other inside room to a guaranteed balcony for a cost of $126 in total. This pretty much is a guarantee if you are in a lower category, as I could apply what I paid to the new prices and get better cabins. As a frequent CET comp cruiser it paid to pay that $60 for the large balcony as they would not have put me in the Spa Balcony from a regular balcony as CET did not include that category so for $60 I got the Spa. So I am happy that they let me apply my payments and move. Sailing 3/8 on the Getaway.

I called NCL back was able to upgrade from my large balcony (CET comped but paid about $60 to upgrade to a large balcony) to a spa balcony for free. I was able to change my other inside room to a guaranteed balcony for a cost of $126 in total. This pretty much is a guarantee if you are in a lower category, as I could apply what I paid to the new prices and get better cabins. As a frequent CET comp cruiser it paid to pay that $60 for the large balcony as they would not have put me in the Spa Balcony from a regular balcony as CET did not include that category so for $60 I got the Spa. So I am happy that they let me apply my payments and move. Sailing 3/8 on the Getaway.

Just curious -- what did you say when you called them back? Sounds like you got a great upgrade!

Just to clarify a couple of things you may have missed judging by your response--

* The difference was much more significant than a $50 OBC or $200 less for a cabin. It was $300 less per cabin, plus free upgraded dining plan($200 value), plus free pre-paid gratuities ($168 value), plus $150 OBC. For someone like me who booked two cabins that's a lotta moolah. I don't think anyone would be whining about $50 or even $200. I'm happy nearly two-grand isn't a big difference to you, but it is to me.

* Again, none of us who were disappointed in this wanted a REFUND!!! That's been stated many times so not sure why it came up. We all understand the rules ... just felt it would have been nice to be offered something like a small OBC to make up for it. Yes, businesses need to make money and part of doing that is making a small gesture of appreciation to customers who are upset. It wouldn't have made even a small dent in NCL's bottom line, and would have saved a lot of the negative comments on this board, along with cancellations by those who still had that option.

I respect everyone's opinion -- just wanted to set the record straight.

Just curious -- what did you say when you called them back? Sounds like you got a great upgrade!

I just called and said I understand from my previous call, that I can apply what I paid to the current prices and get an upgrade. At first I upgraded just my kids room to a guaranteed balcony for the $120 but then I thought about it and thought well a spa balcony is less than a large balcony (my current room) and sure enought she said yep I can move you for no charge to the spa balcony. So then thinking about it some more decided to change the kids room again from the guaranteed balcony to the spa balcony next to me and my other daughter. Since I was going to attempt to get them spa passes, it was actually cheaper to upgrade the room for them $360 vs. $400 for the wristbands for a week if we even were able to purchase on board. So ended up with a spa balcony comped for $640 in fees and the 2nd one for around $2000, with my CAS 10% discount. Traveling with my 3 daughters (26,24,19). My cousin will be calling tomorrow to see if she can make the same change from large balcony to spa, but she booked through a TA, so we will see. It is those in higher categories that are out of look as there is nothing to apply the excess too and they won't give a credit.:)

I just called and said I understand from my previous call, that I can apply what I paid to the current prices and get an upgrade. At first I upgraded just my kids room to a guaranteed balcony for the $120 but then I thought about it and thought well a spa balcony is less than a large balcony (my current room) and sure enought she said yep I can move you for no charge to the spa balcony. So then thinking about it some more decided to change the kids room again from the guaranteed balcony to the spa balcony next to me and my other daughter. Since I was going to attempt to get them spa passes, it was actually cheaper to upgrade the room for them $360 vs. $400 for the wristbands for a week if we even were able to purchase on board. So ended up with a spa balcony comped for $640 in fees and the 2nd one for around $2000, with my CAS 10% discount. Traveling with my 3 daughters (26,24,19). My cousin will be calling tomorrow to see if she can make the same change from large balcony to spa, but she booked through a TA, so we will see. It is those in higher categories that are out of look as there is nothing to apply the excess too and they won't give a credit.:)

Is this for the Getaway? I would've kept the large balcony if so ... the spa balconies are small! We have a B6 for our cruise, and I am so looking forward to it!

Well, I guess I'm going to add fuel to the fire...but as an early booker to Getaway I thought other early bookers who were not happy about the recent big sale (you know the one where cabin prices were $250 lower pp, and free upgraded dining and pre-paid gratuities were thrown in), would want to know the latest.

Just received an offer from an airline's vacation/cruise branch and guess what? Same much lower price pp on cabin, double upgrade, $50 more in OBC than I got, and triple airmiles. Fantastic.

My TA already called and NCL pretty much said you are sh** out of luck (I realize can't get lower cabin price, but was hoping with such a substantial difference to get an extra OBC).

So, today's lesson? This is a case where the early bird didn't get the worm...or the deal. I will never ever book early on NCL, and after this will probably stay with RCCL.

I kind of know how you feel... I too booked early on the Getaway but in my case I received $200 obc. If I choose to renegotiate to the lower price I loose the credit-well, $150 of it. So far I've kept my original booking, paying a bit more because it's still to my benefit-so far......

Sad that I have to explain this, but the anger/blame is because vacations are expensive, I don't have the extra money on hand to say "oh well, oh gee, *shrug the shoulders*, no big deal, better luck next time!:)". So pardon me if I feel a little pissed off and screwed by the cruise line. Maybe if more people gave a damn and made noise about these kinds of things like I do then big companies wouldn't be so quick to have such BS policies & practices. I can tell you this - I'm damn glad that I'm the way I am, because if I wasn't I wouldn't have gotten $600 credit from RCL for finding human feces on my Allure stateroom carpet, and I wouldn't have over $900 back in bank account refunded from Airtran last year (refund, not credit) after a massive drop in my airfare occurred.

These days you have to be willing to fight, every man/woman for themselves, otherwise you're going to get walked over every single time. Fact.

What is sad is not that you feel you have to explain yourself, but the last two sentences of your post. I am sorry for whatever makes you feel so jaded with life, I truly am. :(

We have had adjustments after final through NCL before, booked through a PCC.

reading the other posts is seems these new very special fares are not being offered through NCL but selected TA's.

(please correct if wrong I don't track us pricing on TA sites just the cruise lines).

Has anyone that booked with one of those TA's managed to get any joy getting adjustments.

it would seem that CAS are one of the special TA's that have access to the fares and are making adjustments if asked although CAS people get such good deals many probably don't care.

something doesn't sit right with me here...you booked 2 cabins and now you are saying it's like $2000 cheaper than when you booked? Does anyone else find that kind of fishy?? I mean, I got on Norwegian's website and the price for my cabin and OBC are the same as when I booked it 2 months ago. So where are you seeing this super awesome new deal? If it's through a travel agent or something then it's on them to work with you, not Norwegian themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is offered directly through Norwegian is it?