Norway – Vista or Veranda?

Stumblefoot

I have been dreaming of a Norway cruise ever since visiting Epcot back in my college days during the 80's and viewing their tourism film. And, after following Norwegian voyages by TLCOhio in 2010 and WellSeasoned in 2013, it's been on my mind ever since.

We are strongly considering the Silver Cloud's 2015 – Voyage #1518 and have a few questions:

1. Should we only focus on suites on the starboard side? It appears 7 of the 11 ports would be best viewed from this side.
  2. Although it will most likely be chilly, if not down right cold on some days, how important is a veranda for this voyage? We've only had a veranda once (the Caribbean) and really enjoyed it. But, I wonder how often we'd use it in Norway and whether it's worth the 25% increase in cost for an incremental $4,800?
  3. Finally, if we go with a veranda and all things being equal, would you select deck 7 over deck 6 or 5 in order to get some height for better picture taking?

Thanks!

Hi Stumblefoot -- Our #1 voyage EVER was in a Vista suite on the starboard side. You see everything from your large picture window you would from a verandah, and if it seems you don't - easy to just run up to open deck or if inclement weather to observation deck.

It is utterly breathtaking: first morning I woke up after we had entered the fjords overnight I opened the curtain and said OMG !!!

Our voyage was RT Copenhagen in July - weather was mostly fine as I recall, but crisp.

Spending additional 25% for a verandah isn't worth it to me -- but that's JMO. Whatever you choose will be right.

We are also on 1518 and have a mid ship veranda suite on the starboard side. My husband and I are keen photographers so we always have a veranda suite so if we see something interesting you can pop out and take a photo. :)

We are really looking forward to this cruise.

Ann

WE usually travel in a veranda suite but opted for a vista on the Cloud in Norway because we felt it would enable us to block out more of the midnight sun due to the window's smaller size. The lower price was also a plus.

While it did make it harder to take early morning photos, we felt it was a good decision.

Stumblefoot, we always get a veranda. We had a portside midship veranda on the Cloud Norway cruise last summer, and it was excellent. As our good friend Emtbsam pointed out, the veranda gives you some photo advantages, and it's just nice to step or sit outside to look at the scenery, the sky, and the water (important to us Navy types). We were on deck six. If there were things I wanted to see on the starboard side, it was just a few steps out the door next to Reception. And whether you dock on the port or starboard side is often a crapshoot, depending on the port and the Captain's preferences. You'll love it, whatever you do!

We were on Terry's well recorded Norway Cruise along with Duct Tape, Mayflower1, Conte de Savoia and others. As I have said before, his pictures were outstanding but they still did not do the landscape justice! We were also on the port side, deck 5. This is still our favorite voyage. Beautiful weather, great people, what a trip!

We used the veranda more on our Norway cruise (Cloud) than on any other we have been on. The spectacular scenery, the clean air, the smooth sea and the wonder of the fjords all made us enjoy the veranda each and every day.

Whatever you choose, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks duct tape, daddyo, and poolcat for the additional feedback! It's amazingly exciting to think that the landscape could be even more dramatic than TLCOhio's pics. And, I sure do appreciate the additional context from poolcat that the veranda was used more in Norway than on any other cruise.

While port/starboard are neck-and-neck, the veranda is starting to gain some separation. But, it's early in the game. Keep the Norway feedback coming!

Port: 3

Starboard: 3

---------

Vista: 2

Veranda: 5

We took this trip this past July. The bulk of the trip is all about cruising through the fjords and enjoying the views. We spent a great deal of time on deck so we could see the views from both sides of the ship, but also a fair amount of time on our veranda. I would definitely go with a veranda so you have the option of sitting on your veranda and enjoying the views.

Thanks to Herman The Cat for his feedback.

New tally is as follows:

---------

Veranda: 6

We're still waiting for pricing information from our TA as SS seems to be playing a bit of hide-and-seek with the details of an OBC the SS Rep mentioned to me when I spoke with her directly last week. Unfortunately, the SS Rep is being evasive with our TA. And, she's also claiming that you can't combine AMEX Platinum benefits with Virtuoso benefits. We have in the past, and we have them confirmed for our voyage this summer. But, alas, this particular SS Rep is claiming it has never been the case. Regardless, our TA has promised to escalate the issue up the chain of command.

It sure is frustrating that it takes more than a week vs. a matter of hours to get accurate pricing. I don't understand why it's so difficult.

Thanks to Herman The Cat for his feedback.

New tally is as follows:

---------

Veranda: 6

We're still waiting for pricing information from our TA as SS seems to be playing a bit of hide-and-seek with the details of an OBC the SS Rep mentioned to me when I spoke with her directly last week. Unfortunately, the SS Rep is being evasive with our TA. And, she's also claiming that you can't combine AMEX Platinum benefits with Virtuoso benefits. We have in the past, and we have them confirmed for our voyage this summer. But, alas, this particular SS Rep is claiming it has never been the case. Regardless, our TA has promised to escalate the issue up the chain of command.

It sure is frustrating that it takes more than a week vs. a matter of hours to get accurate pricing. I don't understand why it's so difficult.

Stumble it's always been my experience they won't combine AMEX and Virtuoso. If you did in the past -- good for you. Let us know how this sorts out.

Hi Stumblefoot/Brian; our TA (belongs to Ensemble travel consortium) was able to gain both AMX Platinum SBC for our Cloud Iceland cruise last July (and when we turned down the Ensemble included Reykjavik excursion, in its place, we got a nice SBC from Ensemble too).

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Let us know how this sorts out.
Will do!

Hi Stumblefoot/Brian; our TA (belongs to Ensemble travel consortium) was able to gain both AMX Platinum SBC for our Cloud Iceland cruise last July (and when we turned down the Ensemble included Reykjavik excursion, in its place, we got a nice SBC from Ensemble too).
Thanks for sharing the personal experience Wes.

A vote for veranda. We did Norway on regent voyager, and really enjoyed going outside on the veranda on nice days for the wonderful sun and scenery. Norway can be warmer than you imagine in summer,and ona. Nice sunny day, the veranda can be put to good use.

Thanks Rachel G for the recommendation!

Seeing that you've done the Norwegian fjords on the Regent Voyager and recognizing that you know the Cloud very well, how do you think the Norway experience will be different on the Cloud since she's less than 1/2 the size of Voyager?

New tally is as follows:

---------

Veranda: 7

Thanks Rachel G for the recommendation!

Seeing that you've done the Norwegian fjords on the Regent Voyager and recognizing that you know the Cloud very well, how do you think the Norway experience will be different on the Cloud since she's less than 1/2 the size of Voyager?

New tally is as follows:

---------

Veranda: 7

I think the fjords would be wonderful on the cloud. Even on voyager, captain Dag was able to drive us into some tiny fjords where you could almost reach out and touch the waterfalls. The cloud would be even better for this. Norway is definitely a place where a smaller ship is better.

Agree with Rachel. We did this on the Wind-absolutely fabulous. I can't recommend strongly enough that you take a Verandah. The side doesn't matter as you are surrounded by beauty.

We were fortunate and had 70f at the North Cape with sunshine. Don't hold your breath on that one, however!