How does your body clock cope?

Hi All, off on our very first cruise on Radiance in March. Heading over to New Zealand. Question for the experienced cruisers, how does your body clock cope with the time differences ?

There is a 2 hour time difference between Australia and New Zealand. I'm used to getting up of a morning about 6-6.30 which is 8-8.30 NZ Time. Well past mooring time and often past Tour Time. Looks like we need to be out of bed approx. 4.00am Aust Time.

Conversely, we usually eat dinner about 7.00 pm , 9.00pm NZ Time , otherwise eating dinner at "our" 4.00pm in the afternoon.

I'm sure we'll cope and its not that big a deal, but wondering how experienced Cruisers deal with the time difference ?

Hi All, off on our very first cruise on Radiance in March. Heading over to New Zealand. Question for the experienced cruisers, how does your body clock cope with the time differences ?

There is a 2 hour time difference between Australia and New Zealand. I'm used to getting up of a morning about 6-6.30 which is 8-8.30 NZ Time. Well past mooring time and often past Tour Time. Looks like we need to be out of bed approx. 4.00am Aust Time.

Conversely, we usually eat dinner about 7.00 pm , 9.00pm NZ Time , otherwise eating dinner at "our" 4.00pm in the afternoon.

I'm sure we'll cope and its not that big a deal, but wondering how experienced Cruisers deal with the time difference ?

things will work out ok for you, they will change the clocks over 1 hour on the first night and then 1 hour on the 2nd night and then you'll be on NZ time, depends when you cruise but i think NZ finishes their daylight season before us so on the way home you might only change your clock once

The two hour difference between Australia and New Zealand is not usually a problem. Your body clock is triggered by daylight and after a day or so you will find you have adjusted to NZ time. It's best to just forget your home time zone when travelling and work in whatever the local time zone is.

I haven't done my first cruise yet but I have travelled extensively all over the world, including back "home" to NZ many times. Cruising may even make the time shifts easier, I'm not sure.

Don't stress about it, just enjoy each day of your cruise as it comes, in whatever time zone you're in each day.

I get on cruise time the minute I get on the ship and naturally just follow the flow of ship time, eating at 7, show at 8.30 etc. the actual time zone I'm in doesn't seem to be a factor, because I'm naturally following what times things happen on the ship and port days just follow :)

You think you've got problems? We're coming from Britain to cruise from Brisbane to New Zealand. Our trusty alarm clock will be doing good service! Sue

Make sure you spend as much time as possible outdoors on the first couple of days to help your body clock adjust.

Has anyone tried Jet-Ease to prevent jetlag? Thumbs up or down?

I've used it a few times and it does seem to help as long as you take it as directed ie every two hours. I think you can slip to four hours if you are sleeping but the less often you take it the less the effect I suspect.

I think it's more important to get out and about in the daylight at the first opportunity. If you arrive early morning, resist the temptation to catch up on lost sleep, go for a long walk. Unfortunately if you arrive in the evening you can do that, but ensure you spend the first few hours next day outdoors, preferably starting as early as you can.

There is a 3 hour time difference between Sydney and Perth but no one really takes any notice of it.

Yeah , but I do. That's why I asked the question. First World issue I know, and ultimately not big deal but I'm East Coast based but have worked a bit in North Aust.

I struggle up there because I'm so used to my normal routine that the 2/3 hours does make a difference . . . to me. I barely need an alarm clock these days but even holidays I wake up exactly the same.

I'm sure I'll cope , just wanted to see if there were any tricks from the experts.

Thanks for the tips.

Well you could try adjusting a few minutes each day I guess. One thing you'll find easier is that it is WAY easier to adjust when you are on holidays than if adjusting for work. Just knowing that you don't have to work the next day but relax will take the stress off.

:D flapper! Your issue will be adjusting back once you get home ;) five meals a day, never ending buffet, magically clean rooms & bathrooms, chocolates appearing on your bed, titbits available at all hours, icecream, cookies, afternoon teas...... You will not notice the time difference. You will just wake up one say and you have lost / gained an hour here or there!:)

Hi, the thing I have found is direction of travel. If you travel west to east, you lose on general for long trips an hour per day, but gain one going east to west.

The problem is losing the hour, as it means one hour lost for sleep every night. so going to new Zealand will be better than coming back, but when you only have a few hours total difference it is not so bad

cheers

Greg