Bathrooms on Excursions

alwaysfrantic

We have always had a bathroom "available" but as others have said, they aren't always convenient. The worst was the line for the ladies' room at the Wailing Wall. It took most of our time there just to stand in line. :(

As someone else said, it's a big reason we prefer to DIY. More time for bathroom breaks! :p

We should have followed you that day. I lined up for the Public one, which turned out to be a gleaming brand new stainless steel unit with a hole in the floor.

I remember the first time I encountered a "gem" like that, stand on the porcelain part and aim at the hole in the groundl!:eek: (Thank goodness my aim was pretty good! ;) )

I remember the event fondly because it was a real reminder of how "out of my element" I was, which is one of the reasons why I love to travel. :D

Edited by localady

A link to some of those websites would be a Godsend. Do you still have them to post for the rest of us?

A thousand "thank you's" if you do.

Hi Ruth

yes, here are a couple. the 1st is pretty useful in a lot of places, the 2nd for Australia and maybe NZ. I should have posted them when I replied the first time. Apparently, there are a lot of sites like this-- I was told to google them and I would find more!!

http://thebathroomdiaries.com/bathrooms

https://toiletmap.gov.au/

enjoy :)

ML

My father was stationed in Germany for two years in the fifties and I still remember that all the public restrooms had either a roll of waxed paper or some sort of very rough primitive paper. Like sandpaper. I preferred the waxed paper.

I remember that waxy toilet paper so well:( That was what we had in the school toilets when I grew up, and each sheet had stamped on it "Now wash your hands please".

Hi Ruth

yes, here are a couple. the 1st is pretty useful in a lot of places, the 2nd for Australia and maybe NZ.

Thank you! I can copy these over into my travel notes for reference.

Great thing is my next cruise starts in Australia, so the second link is particularly handy!

And I bet that is only place you didn't have to pay to get into the restroom and pay for the toilet paper.

Years ago everywhere we went in Europe -- I got to carrying our own toilet paper and had to pay the "attendant" to use the facilities.

Pay toilets are not that uncommon in a lot of foreign countries. Also, BYOTP (bring your own toilet paper) is not a bad idea either. I usually pack some "Charmin to Go", it comes in a nice little plastic container:

41tsarXaNhL.jpg

I can only talk about our experiences. There have always been toilets available on our excursions. the range is quite wide, as noted in other posts--a ceramic hole in the ground, to 'pay to use' marginal western toilets to quite nice. This has happened enough that DH says we aren't going on any more cruises that don't have western toilets, readily available (with seats, not like in Mexico!!). We are thinking of a cruise to/around Australia and I posted on that board to see what we should expect. I got a number of replies that gave me web sites that describe toilets and rate them!! Who knew :D

Personally, I completely get this question and think its a good one.

JMO

ML

A ceramic hole in the ground is the norm in a lot of Asian countries; however, most tourist places there (like hotels) have western style toilets. I was surprised that in China some of those ceramic holes actually flushed:

l8ce.jpg

OK, another bit of "toilet trivia". Toilets in Muslim countries are usually equipped with a spray (aka a shattaf). Apparently they use the shattaf in lieu of toilet paper, etc.

559414266_025aa8c5a8.bmp

<SNIP>

I usually pack some "Charmin to Go", it comes in a nice little plastic container:

41tsarXaNhL.jpg

Be careful. In some European toilets 'Charmin' toilet paper or similar is not allowed. The plumbing is different to what you are used to and certain types of paper will block the system.

Also in some European countries you are not allowed to flush any paper. There is a bin to put it in.

We should have followed you that day. I lined up for the Public one, which turned out to be a gleaming brand new stainless steel unit with a hole in the floor.

AH, yes -Sapper- I REMEMBER it well!!!!! :) -It's good to hear from you!!!!! XXXXX A

I usually "forget" to take my blood pressure med on shorex days. I understand you can also ask your doctor for BP med without the diuretic but that might mess with your medical insurance if you have a prescription change within 90 days of sailing?

Thank you! I can copy these over into my travel notes for reference.

Great thing is my next cruise starts in Australia, so the second link is particularly handy!

You are most welcome. I'm happy to provide some info to you, in return for all the great info you have provided over the years!!

ML

Very interesting thread! I am not looking forward to our far east cruise coming up for that very reason, and have made some resolutions - only one cup of coffee for breakfast, take my own toilet paper, and try not to drink much water ashore!

I was in Nepal once and touring around with DH and a group of his colleagues; wonderful scenery, and we stopped for a "tea break" (after multiple cups of great coffee for breakfast), and I had to request a ladies' room (ha!). They found a local lady to lead me - down to the river bank, where I had to squat behind a tussock of grass, with people all around - it was the public toilet area! Never again!:eek:

I have been on many cruises, both HAL and river cruises --here is my experiences -- back in the 'olden days' the girls scouts learned about ' peeing on a rock'' Let me tell you that was a good lesson. On HAL cruises, I've learned not to take my diruretic until I got back on the ship. On river cruises the same thing applies. However, lately most of the excursions have planned stops or facilities on board. I have never had a 'personal issue' on any HAL excurision