matt4cruise4

Thoughts on Carnival live music  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on Carnival live music

• Love the idea - will specifically book one of these ships
    • Dislike the idea - bring back the steel drum and other free live music
    • Do not care - will not attend if aboard Carnival Live ship
    • Don't care about live music

You don't have to post to not vote, how misleading can you get....and I truly believe the results of this poll are misleading due to a lack of good options to choose from. I did not vote (see post 3) and posters 4 and 5 agreed. If the poll did not offer any options that fit your opinion why would you vote and I am sure I am not the only who felt this way based on the first poll that was going around on the Carnival Live. If people are not voting because their options are not there then a poll is worthless.

Would you please post 4 options that you think would be better options to choose from ...

It has been mentioned. The entertainment that's being replaced is more than likely a night of passenger-participation silly games. Remember that currently, there are no shows or entertainers every night on Carnival.

These concerts are ADD ONS. They are not replacements of current professional entertainment.

And about steel drum and reggae bands, try listening to that stuff nonstop for a week straight. You'll probably end up shooting the sheriff, or yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

AHAHAHAHAHA thanks for the morning laugh!

But you are right I couldn't stand a whole week of steel drum band.

The concerts are a nice choice, and I don't think they are replacing anything. If they are I doubt it is anything that will be missed. I love my steel drum guys during sail away, an off and on by the pool some times throughout the cruise but I also agree a variety is nice out there.

The PROBLEM is when the other music is a DJ! If you get a good one, they keep a decent party atmosphere going, play a variety of songs and at a decent LEVEL THAT HUMANS CAN TOLLERATE! Get a bad one and they play nothing but club music all day without anything else and they play it so damn loud you can't even have a conversation on the serenity deck unless you yell. It's hit or miss. :mad:

Agree. Irony of the situation , at least in long beach, they play recordings of the steel band music in port while we wait to board, but the DJ won't play the same recordings on board the ship's as we sail away!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396058400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Pacific%20Coastal%20on%20Century

Sent from my iPod

I didn't vote because none of the choices fit me. I really liked the Caribbean music by the live bands and don't really like the DJ type music. I like the concert ideas because of giving you more time in port for one day. I would never book a cruise because of the concerts and it is unlikely that I would be on a cruise with a band playing that I would pay to see.

Would you please post 4 options that you think would be better options to choose from ...

1. Love Carnival Live and will choose a cruise specifically for it.

2. Like the additional option of Carnival Live gives to passengers but will not make it our main reason for choosing a cruise. May or may not do it depending on the cruise and the artist.

3. Do not like Carnival Live period and will not sail a ship with it.

4. Do not like Carnival Live but will sail a ship with it if other Live entertainment options are improved (ie calypso bands) and other good alternative options are available during the concert time.

Not as good as I would like, but this is the best I could come up with a limit of 4 options to create.

I simply don't see why they can't do both. That sail away Calypso does it for so many. The LIVE shows are not but once a cruise and likely only once per ship. How can you compare the two or pick one or the other? :confused:

Based upon the level of the talent for the steel bands, they can't cost much. Every song I remember sounded exactly the same.

1. Love Carnival Live and will choose a cruise specifically for it.

2. Like the additional option of Carnival Live gives to passengers but will not make it our main reason for choosing a cruise. May or may not do it depending on the cruise and the artist.

3. Do not like Carnival Live period and will not sail a ship with it.

4. Do not like Carnival Live but will sail a ship with it if other Live entertainment options are improved (ie calypso bands) and other good alternative options are available during the concert time.

Not as good as I would like, but this is the best I could come up with a limit of 4 options to create.

I like your options better...

• 2 weeks later...
Couldn't vote in this poll, because I would like to see both. And while I do love the idea of Carnival Live, I won't book a cruise specifically because of it. Just like I wouldn't book specifically for any other paid excursion. So no options for me. I think it's a good addition. Steel drums would be good too. On Lido. Bring them back Carnival! come onnnn!!!;)

My thoughts exactly!! PLEASE bring back the steel drum bands!

could not vote either on this poll, as neither option fitted how I feel.

However.....I will say this. While I am not happy with the direction that Carnival has taken with regard to musical entertainment, and other entertainment, I have recently been reeled back in to booking a cruise on them, based on a price that I could not refuse.

Yes, I would love to have some steel drum or calypso band music on lido deck for sailaway, and during the cruise. I dont like today's hiphop and whatever they call it now. Sailing away from Miami, Port Everglades, or anywhere headed to the Caribbean, please give us some appropriately themed music.

I am aged late 50's, and love rock music that I grew up with, Stones, Zeppelin, etc, but when Im heading out on a cruise , give me something like calypso, reggae, or even Jimmy Buffet will do. And I loved the cover band of years gone by....ok..I could go on and on.

but wont.:(

I also did not vote for the same reason as you. DW and I are more interested to see what the improvements are to other live music/bands on the ship. If Carnival Live was the only change, then not a winner with us, but patiently waiting to see what else changes.

Ditto..........

While it's good that Carnival is finally making changes with live music, I feel it's change in the wrong direction.

Bring back the live music Carnival used to have pre-Cahill, and I'd cruise with the company again. Royal and NCL have these and other live bands, and it's why we've switched to them. Forgt about one night of paid-for live music. Bring back the steel drum / reggae bands. Carnival ruined the daytime lido-deck without these live 4-piece bands. In addition, the Philipino bands are great and should remain.

I do not want to pay for entertainment, and noone is mentioning that the paid-for entertainment is replacing a night of free entertainment. Bring back several free variety bands, and I'll give Carnival another try.

Well said matt, I agree with you whole heartily. I'm only staying with Carnival until the end of the Philipino bands.

The only two bands I would ever pay to see on a ship are Lynard Skynard or Pink Floyd and I doubt very seriously if either would ever play on a ship.

Even though all of the steel drum music does sound the same after a while, it still in my opinion fits in with a Caribbean cruise. It sets the mood. If you go to Oktoberfest, you expect to hear polkas. If you go on a Caribbean cruise, you expect to hear steel drum music. If we go to Jamaica, we look for a place that sells Jerk Chicken, not a KFC. We cruise for something different, not what we can see or do at home.

Edited by RWolver672

Did you miss the part where they were also upgrading the live bands on the ship in addition to Carnival Live. I didn't vote because none of your options fit how I feel. I think they are heading in the right direction already upgrading the live bands and giving people more choices with Carnival Live. I may not take advantage of the Carnival Live but I think it is great to have the option to give the passengers. I also could care less about Calypso bands. Personally a DJ or a band playing other types of music works just as well for me....I really could care less which because it is usually just background noise to me.

I agree with you 100%. Some people can't get it through their head that Carnival Live is OPTIONAL and that Carnival is in the process of upgrading live music on the ships. To me the DJ is fine. I have sailed on other cruise lines and most of the live bands couldn't carry a tune? At least with the DJ's the singing is on key! People need to give Carnival Live time to be implemented before saying you don't like it (I don't like green eggs and ham).:D

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know why they can't give us the Caribbean vibe music somewhere on the open deck for some period of time....maybe the Aft pool or a two hour window at the main pool.....now there's slim to none..........anyone know which cruise line still plays Calypso Reggae music at the pool????

I don’t know why they can't give us the Caribbean vibe music somewhere on the open deck for some period of time....maybe the Aft pool or a two hour window at the main pool.....now there's slim to none..........anyone know which cruise line still plays Calypso Reggae music at the pool????

After 15 cruises with Carnival, we are actually looking at Celebrity for our next one. Not sure that's the direction we'll take, but we were flat bored in the evenings on the Breeze due to the lack of entertainment and what was there was BAD -either awful the playlist production shows, comedy you couldn't get a seat for even arriving 45 minutes early, cheesy Hasbro game show one night, karaoke (which I can't stand to listen to).....there were a couple good solo guitarist and a good band onboard, but the times/places they would play were all over the place.

I think maybe we've either outgrown Carnival or the brand has just evolved away from us. Our first cruise in 2006 we had both live calypso and cover bands, 3 comedians that played in the main theatre at midnight where there was enough seating, a string trio, several pianists, a guitarist or two, several variety acts, and a full showband in the theatre with full cast for the shows. What Carnival has now kind of pales in comparison.

I always loved the Steel Drums. Please bring them back. Carnival Live I can take or leave. If I am on a future cruise and I like the act that is playing, I might go see it.

The problem with any music group is they have to earn their keep and play at least 5 days a week. As others have posted above, I don't want to hear steel drums every day. Besides, Carnival probably had a problem with the penchant for steel drummers have to smoke dope.

After 15 cruises with Carnival, we are actually looking at Celebrity for our next one. Not sure that's the direction we'll take, but we were flat bored in the evenings on the Breeze due to the lack of entertainment and what was there was BAD -either awful the playlist production shows, comedy you couldn't get a seat for even arriving 45 minutes early, cheesy Hasbro game show one night, karaoke (which I can't stand to listen to).....there were a couple good solo guitarist and a good band onboard, but the times/places they would play were all over the place.

I think maybe we've either outgrown Carnival or the brand has just evolved away from us. Our first cruise in 2006 we had both live calypso and cover bands, 3 comedians that played in the main theatre at midnight where there was enough seating, a string trio, several pianists, a guitarist or two, several variety acts, and a full showband in the theatre with full cast for the shows. What Carnival has now kind of pales in comparison.

If entertainment and activity is what you're looking for, then you will probably be pretty bored and unhappy with Celebrity.

I feel the same way but keep going back yearning for what use to be. We wern't wow'ed by the Breeze either. We just booked the Freedom for Sept 27th with a totally refundable deposit so if we like Celebrity we will cnacel it...looking fowrad to no MUTS, bar drink package and gratuties included for $379 so were off to a great start !!!

THIS is what they should have on the Lido...they would only have to pay one person (same as a DJ), as opposed to a whole band.

http://youtu.be/SVbrEih8lUc

BOR-RING!

If I was having a massage, maybe with some incense burning.

She would be drowned out by the screaming kids on the Lido Deck.