Whats the latest someone has embarked?

firsttimeVA

We're planning a trip on the Epic in March and there's a really good deal on Southwest getting to FLL at 1:00PM. Whats the latest you can get to the port for embarkation?

NCL's guideline is that you must be in port one or two hours before departure - depending on the check-in status.

This info can be found from NCL's FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#boarding-times

Edited by Demonyte

When we went on the Spirit last October, we were sitting in the Bier Garten at 6:50pm , ready for sail away at 7pm, when I saw this taxi seriously motoring over the Barcelona port bridge, I mentioned it to my DH, next thing it pulls up at the ship, the two elderly passengers are rushed into the checkin area, and then fast tracked onto the ship through the service entrance.....we still sailed at 7pm....but that was definitely too close for comfort!!!!

We're planning a trip on the Epic in March and there's a really good deal on Southwest getting to FLL at 1:00PM. Whats the latest you can get to the port for embarkation?

See if they have a similar deal for the day before the cruise. Flying in on the same day is way too risky.

It's cheaper to spend one night in a hotel close by the port, than to fly to the ship at the next port.

I wouldn't even think of doing that ... NE still gets snow in March, and it doesn't matter where you're coming from or to - it can mess up schedules all over the country. That aside, I still wouldn't even think of doing that!

And, to add to your complications, flying into FLL adds additional distance to the port. MIA is close, FLL is not.

You will find many people that would never, ever fly in the same day as the cruise. Just a few hours delay and you miss the boat.

There is no insurance policy available that will get that missed day or two back. They are gone. Forever.

Two friends and I went on an E. Caribbean cruise in Dec of 2012. I flew in a couple days early (to visit family in the area) and my friends booked flights for the MORNING of the cruise.

Long story short, my friends did embark, however they had to wait until the ship was in Nassau the next day to do it.

YMMV

And, to add to your complications, flying into FLL adds additional distance to the port. MIA is close, FLL is not.

You will find many people that would never, ever fly in the same day as the cruise. Just a few hours delay and you miss the boat.

There is no insurance policy available that will get that missed day or two back. They are gone. Forever.

We are coming in 2 days early in November for that reason. Too much can go wrong with the weather. At least if our flight gets cancelled, we would still have 2 days to get to the ship.

They were lucky to have been allowed to board that late. Usually, the terminal closes two hours beforehand.

Apparently they have loosened the deadline because as I posted earlier in this thread, the final deadline is now one hour before if the passengers have completed online check-in. I too remembered two hours deadline from earlier.

From NCL.

DEPARTURE TIME

Departure time is when your ship sets sail. We highly encourage you to board no later than two hours prior to the departure time noted in your eDocs. This will give you enough time to complete your check-in at the cruise terminal before boarding; your online check-in must be completed prior to arrival.

You do know that Fort Lauderdale is not all that close to Miami? You've got a minimum 30 minute drive in notoriously variable and most bad traffic.

I'm with the others - go on that same flight the day before if you must, or get a day of flight earlier in the day, or one that goes to MIA instead of FLL for a same day flight.

From NCL.

DEPARTURE TIME

Departure time is when your ship sets sail. We highly encourage you to board no later than two hours prior to the departure time noted in your eDocs. This will give you enough time to complete your check-in at the cruise terminal before boarding; your online check-in must be completed prior to arrival.

As I said just on the last post in this thread before your reply, there is new, updated guideline on NCL website that gives more time for those who have completed online check-in:

What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that
guests who have not completed their Online Check-In
arrive at the cruise terminal no later than
two (2) hours prior
to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents.
Guests who have completed their Online Check-In
should arrive at the terminal no later than
one (1) hour prior

Edited by Demonyte

As I said just on the last post in this thread before your reply, there is new, updated guideline on NCL website that gives more time for those who have completed online check-in:

What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that
guests who have not completed their Online Check-In
arrive at the cruise terminal no later than
two (2) hours prior
Guests who have completed their Online Check-In
should arrive at the terminal no later than
one (1) hour prior

While that may sound good in theory, I doubt it is workable in the real world.

The "cruise documents" they reference are what we commonly call eDocs. The eDocs are NOT available to cruisers who haven't completed their online check in...therefore, these people would have no way to look at these documents to even see the "scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents".

In other words, no online registration = no cruise documents = no place to check for the printed scheduled embarkation time.

It's best to go a day early but this crazy cold and snowy weather can really wreak havoc. My daughter and her husband were departing Chicago on Saturday, 1/5/14 for a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity the next day. Both Chicago airports had been virtually shut down Thursday, 1/3 and Friday, 1/4. Both were essentially closed Sunday 1/6 also. Same day departure wouldn't have got out.

Their one day early departure worked well, with just a few hour flight delay (caused by construction on Lauderdale's runways.) One day early is usually ample but here was a case where the window had to be almost perfect. As I said, two and three day early flights were scratched too.

Throughout this drama I was searching for flights to take them to their first port of call, San Juan. Glad it didn't come to that. Do I sound like a promoter of trip insurance?