Civitavecchia to Rome

Mary salsa hips

what would be the best way from Civitavecchia to Rome without using NCL transport there are 4 of us ladies, i know there is the train is it best to hire private transport, thanks

We used private transportation when we were in Rome. I was not comfortable with taking a train as Rome is quite a distance from Civitavecchia. I would check out the ports of call boad, Im sure a lot of people would be able to provide information on taking the train if that is what you want to do.

Hi Mary.

Have a look at a company called cruising excursions.com who i would highly recommend.

We used them on our last cruise as i wanted to spend some time in Sorrento and the ships tour only offered a 1 hour stay there. We were met at the port in Naples by a lady who showed us to a waiting Mercedes for our 1 hour ride to Sorrento, we then had 4 hours leisure time there and after went to a designated meeting place for our return trip . Waiting for us was a Mercedes Mini bus. We paid £25 each for this shuttle service and was expecting more passengers but as there was only me and DH we thought the service was excellent.

We have used Rome cabs in the past and had excellent service from them too, but paid about 100 euros for a one way trip.

We took a private service from the Hilton at the Rome airport to the ship earlier this month. It was $200 for 4 adults. We were met in the lobby at the hotel and dropped right off at the ship. The vehicle was a late model Mercedes and the driver was very attentive.

We used Rome in Limo for a private tour. Not cheap, but it was excellent.

Glenn

what would be the best way from Civitavecchia to Rome without using NCL transport there are 4 of us ladies, i know there is the train is it best to hire private transport, thanks

We used the Train previously and will do so again next time.

Check out trenitalia.com for timetables. There are local trains which take between an hour to an hour and a half to get there. Depending on where you want to go, you can get off at St Peters or Termini (we got of at Ostiense for a metro connection to the Colosseum). You buy a BIRG ticket in Civitavecchia from the newsagent at the station, or by where the shuttle bus drops you off outside the port. It is very cheap (not sure of the exact price but about 10euros each) and covers the return fare and metro use.

If you do it, I'd recommend getting the return train back from Termini as you will have more luck getting a seat then. Lots of people get on at St Peters and you may have to stand if you do that.

Obviously, don't plan on taking the last train back which would let you catch the ship. Leave yourself a little time in case of problems.

The only thing we didn't like about using the train was that it got quite hot on the busy train coming back. We are considering booking the express train to return. It's not too expensive (21 euros for three of us) and you get a reserved seat and a quicker journey.

The travel time by train is often quicker than by car or bus as the traffic getting into or out of Rome can be bad.

Overall, I think it's a pretty easy city to do by yourself. If you look at the Italy port of call forum there should be some good tips there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We never do NCL excursions (way too expensive for what you get, IMHO), but we do take the transportation only NCL coach when in Civitavecchia. Easy drop off at The Vatican. Perfect if you want to do Rome on your own and relatively inexpensive, also compared to many private limo services, that we also used at times, but that were not really worth the extra, taken all into account. Again, IMHO. And the NCL coach is a safe bet, of course. If you plan a bit ahead you do not need a tour gide in Rome. It is an easy city if you choose what you want to see before hand and have a city map in your pocket. Public transport is an option, but not always reliable and beware of pick pockets (like anywhere in Rome, by the way).

Edited by Aladdin1968

We cruised out of Civitavecchia a couple of years ago and booked the transportation from the FCO Airport to the hotel for an overnight stay in Civitavecchia. We had planned on taking a train into Rome on our "extra" day in the port city, but there was an last minute train strike for that day. I understand train strikes can happen at any time in Italy, so to be safe if you plan on going from Rome directly to the cruise ship, I would arrange for private transport.

I understand train strikes can happen at any time in Italy, so to be safe if you plan on going from Rome directly to the cruise ship, I would arrange for private transport.

And their air traffic control is on strike today, so don't leave it late if youre flying into Italy.