Passport question

curlybelle2

No need to -- bring your sail & sign card from the ship and a photo ID(driver's license). We sometimes carry a photocopy of our passport photo pages with us but have never had to use them.

This is where I chuckle a little bit ... Not at JohninDC, but at the response... One I have seen a ton of times. There are often pointed responses from people who insist that you neeeeeeeeed a passport and if anything happens, you will need it to get back stateside.... But these same people (again, maybe not this poster) leave their passports on the ship.... wwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaattttt? :)

I didn't spend all that time and money getting a passport to NOT have it with me when I need it.

When we travel, if I am stepping foot on foreign soil my passport is with me. I hope I NEVER need to use it for anything other than ID and standard immigration checks, but I'll be darned if I'm going to ever utter the phrase "I should have taken my passport with me."

We had passports long before they were required, and have never once taken them off the ship, knowing all along if the ship leaves without us we cannot fly home..:eek: I notice people mention taking photocopies, but I wonder if that would really work ?

I didn't spend all that time and money getting a passport to NOT have it with me when I need it.

When we travel, if I am stepping foot on foreign soil my passport is with me. I hope I NEVER need to use it for anything other than ID and standard immigration checks, but I'll be darned if I'm going to ever utter the phrase "I should have taken my passport with me."

We had passports long before they were required, and have never once taken them off the ship, knowing all along if the ship leaves without us we cannot fly home..:eek: I notice people mention taking photocopies, but I wonder if that would really work ?

A photocopy of the picture page will expeide things for the embassy/consulate folks helping you to get home/catch up to the ship; it will not replace your passport.

We do not take them off the ship due to the chance they will be lost or stolen -- same thing with credit cards, ATM cards and anything else I do not need while ashore.

We do not take them off the ship due to the chance they will be lost or stolen My feelings as well..

But suppose YOU get lost or stolen. Isn't it better for the passport to get lost or stolen than the person?

There is only one correct answer. You should always carry your passport with you, just like, if you are driving you always have your license. I would have to assume, that when you leave the ship, you have your ship card, a photo ID, money, credit cards, etc already. Why is the passport always left behind by so many people? When it is the one item you need if you get in trouble or in a bind.

But suppose YOU get lost or stolen. Isn't it better for the passport to get lost or stolen than the person?

There is only one correct answer. You should always carry your passport with you, just like, if you are driving you always have your license. I would have to assume, that when you leave the ship, you have your ship card, a photo ID, money, credit cards, etc already. Why is the passport always left behind by so many people? When it is the one item you need if you get in trouble or in a bind.

I'm guessing because of all the things you mention, it's probably the hardest thing to replace? And it's the largest (physical) item. I even have a pouch I can swim with that will fit ship card, ID, money, CC, etc. Passport? Nope. Multiple passports (for the family), definitely not.

There is only one correct answer for YOU. That doesn't mean everyone agrees with you.

Same with us. Always take it with us when we get off the ship.