Binoculars Recommendation

First Time PR

Dear Cool Cruiser,

My husband I have done quite a bit of research on this topic, utilizing the search thread and then some....found Vanguard Endeavor HD 8x42 or 10 x 42to be very compelling and we are looking at purchasing them....Now, my hubby is very particular about such things, so he has done even more research and found that these were so popular at the end of last year that many people bought multiple sets because of a $50 rebate offered by manufacturer. Here is the caveat---the price has recently increased from around $225 in December to around $300+ now!!!! If you do a google search, you may find some willing to sell for less (with the UPC number cut out of the carton due to the rebate). Good Luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband I have done quite a bit of research on this topic, utilizing the search thread and then some....found Vanguard Endeavor HD 8x42 or 10 x 42to be very compelling and we are looking at purchasing them....

If you do a google search, you may find some willing to sell for less (with the UPC number cut out of the carton due to the rebate). Good Luck!!!

yep, available on ebay with UPC removed ;)

Try doing a search on this board using the term "binoculars". You will get 20 pages of hits. Why reinvent the wheel?

DON

The search on the board doesn't always work so a question gets asked again. I thought this board was supposed to help others find info they can't find.:confused: Sometimes I'm afraid to ask a question, because of posts like this.:(

The search on the board doesn't always work so a question gets asked again. I thought this board was supposed to help others find info they can't find.:confused: Sometimes I'm afraid to ask a question, because of posts like this.:(

I agree. Also sometimes the results from the search button are useless.

Dear Cool Cruiser,

My husband I have done quite a bit of research on this topic, utilizing the search thread and then some....found Vanguard Endeavor HD 8x42 or 10 x 42to be very compelling and we are looking at purchasing them....Now, my hubby is very particular about such things, so he has done even more research and found that these were so popular at the end of last year that many people bought multiple sets because of a $50 rebate offered by manufacturer. Here is the caveat---the price has recently increased from around $225 in December to around $300+ now!!!! If you do a google search, you may find some willing to sell for less (with the UPC number cut out of the carton due to the rebate). Good Luck!!!

Thank you for posting this. I found the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8X42 brand new on Ebay for $199 and bought them. They were at least $299 everyplace else I looked.

Although my preferred search feature is not available, if you use the "search cruise critic" selection on top right corner of the forums by entering binoculars, lots of previous posts are there. Hopefully it will help your decision.

In that case use Google. Type "cruise critic alaska binoculars" as a search target in Google. Lots and lots of hits.

DON

Piglet, I received my binoculars in record time in new condition. They are great!!! I took them to work with me to show a hunter friend who agrees they are a great value!! He also suggested purchasing the suspender harness from Cabella's for around $20.00. Helps distribute the weight and keeps them from flopping around. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do!!!

This is a topic that comes up several times each Alaska season and there really is no simple answer. I live on the coast of British Columbia and from a previous life I have a pair of Fujinons that I quite enjoy using to watch the cruise ships heading to Alaska from my front room and also take them on cruises. However, at $500+ a copy, while quite remarkable, they are not for everyone. If I were going out to purchase binoculars for an Alaska cruise and would likely end up in the back of a closet when I returned I would probably look at something like an 8X50 Bushnell's. What is important in the selection of binoculars for cruising is something that is 7X or 8X which is the marine standard....anything stronger then this tend to pick up the motion of the ship make it hard to see things and can contribute to motion sickness.

Piglet, I received my binoculars in record time in new condition. They are great!!! I took them to work with me to show a hunter friend who agrees they are a great value!! He also suggested purchasing the suspender harness from Cabella's for around $20.00. Helps distribute the weight and keeps them from flopping around. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do!!!

Thanks for the info on the harness. I see a trip to Cabella's in my future, lol. Glad you like your's, and your friend said they're a great value. I can't wait to get mine now.

• 2 weeks later...
We are in Aquaclass room and I saw that you get use of binoculars with the room. Does anyone know if they are any good or should we think about buying a pair to bring with us as I don't own any.

They are not any good at all.

This is a topic that comes up several times each Alaska season and there really is no simple answer. I live on the coast of British Columbia and from a previous life I have a pair of Fujinons that I quite enjoy using to watch the cruise ships heading to Alaska from my front room and also take them on cruises. However, at $500+ a copy, while quite remarkable, they are not for everyone. If I were going out to purchase binoculars for an Alaska cruise and would likely end up in the back of a closet when I returned I would probably look at something like an 8X50 Bushnell's. What is important in the selection of binoculars for cruising is something that is 7X or 8X which is the marine standard....anything stronger then this tend to pick up the motion of the ship make it hard to see things and can contribute to motion sickness.

Good to know about the Marine Standards,

I picked up a pair of 10x, I might just return them or keep one stronger pair for the land portion of our cruise tour :)

I had 2 pair of 7x and 8x and was worried they would not be strong enough.

BTW I found several 7x 8x and 10x at Wallmart in the hunting sectons that were under $50 for those of us budget minded.

The 10x was small and compact will be nice to travel with.

For Alaska cruise, binoculars can come really handy while doing whale watching from the cruiseship or during the inland excursion. We have been on multiple Alaska cruises in the last few years. We learnt our lessons and also enjoyed the scenary very much.

Don't take binoculars smaller than 30mm or larger than 50mm. They are either too small to bring enough light or too big to carry around. Mid-size 32mm to fullsize 42mm is what you need to bring. Also, I prefer roof prism binoculars (with straight line) over Porro binoculars (zigzag shaped) as they typically have better waterproofing capabilities. For magnification power, I prefer either 8x or 10x. Definitely do not get those higher power binoculars, which are also cheaply made. Also I found the zoom binoculars are mostly useless.

We currently use a pair of Swarovision 8.5x42. But it is a very expensive binoculars. Unless you plan to use it every weekend for birding, it's not worthy it. We also have a pair of Zen-Ray Summit 10x42 and a pair of Redfield Rebel 8x42. Both are excellent binoculars for the money. The summit will probably do 95% of what my Swaro binos does. But I cannot live without getting the other 5%.

Another thing to consider is to make sure the binoculars are truly waterproof, which can be immersed in the water. If it says weather proof, it is not waterproof, moisture or water will find its way into the binoculars and cause internal fogging. That will completely destroy the binoculars.

Lastly, read carefully on the coating description. The quality of the anti-reflection coating will make a huge difference between two apparently similar binoculars. The binoculars need to be fully multi-coated. It means every glass surface has multiple layer AR coating. Some high end binoculars like Swarovision also uses dielectric mirror coating to improve the brightness. Since most of the animals come out in the morning and evening, a good pair of binoculars that can bring in more light is essential.

Happy cruising.

BTW I found several 7x 8x and 10x at Wallmart in the hunting sectons that were under $50 for those of us budget minded.

The 10x was small and compact will be nice to travel with.

And for the occasional cruise most will find these to be quite adequate. I have a pair of similar glasses in the back of my car which I pull out once or twice a year.

• 2 months later...

My husband bought these for our cruise to Alaska. Since they are small he was able to wear them at all times without it bugging him. The permanently focus feature worked great. They even work well for my mother who has glasses and macular degeneration. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Perma-Focus-25mm-Binoculars/dp/B00006SNZN/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400937578&sr=8-4&keywords=perma+focus+binoculars