NCL Spirit - 12-day Grand Med - Sept/Oct?

DevCruise

My wife and I are looking at taking the 12-day Grand Med on the Spirit in fall 2015. We're not concerned about the cooler temperatures, however, my wife is prone to sea sickness and after our experience in Alaska this past September I don't want her banning me from booking another one.

Realizing that a storm could brew up anytime, is the med more prone to storms/ship rocking in September/October?

My wife and I are looking at taking the 12-day Grand Med on the Spirit in fall 2015. We're not concerned about the cooler temperatures, however, my wife is prone to sea sickness and after our experience in Alaska this past September I don't want her banning me from booking another one.

Realizing that a storm could brew up anytime, is the med more prone to storms/ship rocking in September/October?

Hi we did this cruise in the first 12 days of October 2012, sailing from Venice to Barcelona on Spirit. The weather was perfect, calm seas, warm with just the odd shower. In fact having cruised the Mediterranean several times in the Autumn we have not encountered bad weather or rough seas. Of course poor conditions can occur anytime but certainly September/October is a nice time to visit the area. The heat has gone out of the Summer along with the hordes of visitors but its still lovely and warm.

The cruise you are considering has a fabulous itinerary, visiting some amazing ports and sights, while the ship is one of our favourites.

John

Hi we did this cruise in the first 12 days of October 2012, sailing from Venice to Barcelona on Spirit. The weather was perfect, calm seas, warm with just the odd shower. In fact having cruised the Mediterranean several times in the Autumn we have not encountered bad weather or rough seas. Of course poor conditions can occur anytime but certainly September/October is a nice time to visit the area. The heat has gone out of the Summer along with the hordes of visitors but its still lovely and warm.

The cruise you are considering has a fabulous itinerary, visiting some amazing ports and sights, while the ship is one of our favourites.

John

Thank you! That was exactly what I was hoping to hear.

We were initially looking at the 14-day in July, but after reading about the temps and the crowds, we decided against it. Which now has us looking at Sept/Oct. We just didn't want to book it and find out that Oct or Sept was notorious for winter storms or such.

We did this cruise in 2012 in August. Loved it. From my times in the med at different parts of the year I don't remember ever feeling the ship move...the med is the best and my favorite in my opinion. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

I have done this type of itinerary 10times in a row in Sept/Oct never had rough seas but as others said you cant predict the weather. Also the ports aren't very far from each other so it's not like leaving out of NYC in January and not getting to San Juan for 3days. Have agreat cruise I love europe in the fall enjoy

I'll concur with everyone else. Sailed Venice to Barcelona last September/October and it was like the ship was attached to a track under the water. It was by far the smoothest sailing I've ever experienced.

However, I heard from one of the officers that the Canary Islands sailing is notoriously rough. So, it sounds like you will want to stay away from that one.

Have fun!

It is a perfect time to go. The Med is a generally very calm sea so you are not likely to encounter much, if any movement at all. The temps will be pleasant for getting about not brutal as they are in the height of summer and things will be a little quiter which will make your experience more enjoyable.

I usually sail in May/June and would consider Sept/Oct. I would not entertain late June to end of August. I have done the cruise twice and can recommend the itinerary and the ship.

I have done this type of itinerary 10times in a row in Sept/Oct never had rough seas but as others said you cant predict the weather. Also the ports aren't very far from each other so it's not like leaving out of NYC in January and not getting to San Juan for 3days. Have agreat cruise I love europe in the fall enjoy

I read this to the wife and she feels a lot better. Fortunately, we've never left out of NYC. Wife doesn't like sea days due to the sea sickness issue, so I try to keep sea days to a minimum.

However, I heard from one of the officers that the Canary Islands sailing is notoriously rough. So, it sounds like you will want to stay away from that one.

Will be avoiding the Canary Islands then. Rough seas + wife = short cruising history.

Now it looks like getting there is going to be the challenge. Airfare looks horrible! :eek:

We did Aug last year and it was ok for most of the trip got a little rocky a couple of nights.

(too hot for us Sept, Oct should be nicer)

Did similar ex Rome to Venice in Nov right through a storm for all 13n.

(Storm made it a bit cooler than normal)

Did ex Rome to Istanbul Dec very calm.

(Surprisingly ok temps but no shorts)

Point is you just can't tell it can change week to week

Check pricing there were some really good deals in 2013.

Edited by insidecabin

Devcruise,

Thank you for asking this question. My DH and I have been pondering the same itinerary. We will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary in October 2015 and really want to do a European cruise. So far NCL wins out for the pricing and itinerary. Waiting for RCI to release their itins. I am sad that Carnival is no longer in Europe. Their itins were the best, if I remember correctly, they included Dubrovnik whereas NCL does not.

My next question...is it better to sail in/out of Venice or Barcelona? I am considering 2-3 days precruise in Barcelona and a day or two post cruise in Venice. Is airfare better in one city than the other? We are seeing about $1200 from MI!

Good luck on your planning! Let us know what you decide!

Lauri