Civitavecchia to Ostia Antica

Tucson54

We've been to Rome & thought that it might be interesting to tour Ostia Antica instead. Our ship docks at Civitavecchia at 7 AM on a Thrusday & sails at 7 PM.

Can anyone recommend a tour company or private tour guide for this trip?

Has anyone done this tour?? Thanks.

Any of the popular tour companies mentioned here (i.e. Romeinlimi, Romecabs, etc) would certainly do that for a price. Ostia is located only a few minutes from the FCO airport which is about a 50 min drive from the port. It is also a relatively easy journey by rental car (a lot cheaper then a private car/driver/guide) and there are some train options that can get you near the ruins.

Hank

You can get there by train from central Roma quite easily . Take Metro Linea B in the direction of LAURENTIA and alight at the stop PIRAMIDE. Go up the escalator and turn right across the overhead bridge and proceed to the adjoining Lido train station . Take the LIDO train from here and alight at OSTIA ANTICA. Cross the highway by the pedestrian overbridge walk straight ahead and after 100 m you pass a restaurant , turn left for the entrance .

The one Metro ticket covers both trains . Allow an hour to get there from Roma city . Allow minimum 3 hours at the site . Open daily 0830 - 1930.

Further info on Ostia Antica website.

The Roman ruins here are better than those at the much overhyped Pompei.

The Roman ruins here are better than those at the much overhyped Pompei.

I have to firmly disagree.

While the ruins at Ostia are outstanding and are very worth seeing (as well as being much less crowded), I don't see how one can say they are "better" than the ones at Pompeii. After multiple visits to both sites, I like Ostia but it does not offer the fineness of work nor the variety that one finds at Pompeii.

Plus, Pompeii is a microcosm of time. Ostia died a slow death over many centuries and the ruins can at times be confusing (mentally) because of it.

I have not found anything at Pompeii to compare with, for example, the Suburban Baths, the Villa of the Mysteries, the Amphitheatre at Pompeii, and some of the houses (House of the Vettii, House of the Prince of Naples, House of Venus in the Half-Shell, etc.). By contrast, at Ostia I found more of the domestic houses locked up than even at Pompeii.

The forum at Ostia is very fine, however, and some of the public buildings around it.

Last spring when I was at Ostia, the grass everywhere was more than knee high and needed a good mowing. Not sure if I just caught it at a bad time or if the authorities are simply unable to maintain it. It did make walking off the main roads challenging.

You can also take the train to Termini and transfer to the metro and do the tour on your own.

It would make no sense and eat up valuable time to go to Termini first.

From Civitavecchia you would take the regional train to Rome and get off at the Roma Ostiense station. You can use the underground passageway to connect to the Porta S. Paolo station, the start of the Roma-Lido line.

Take the Roma-Lido line for seven stops to Ostia Antica.

Info on the Roma-Lido line is here: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=LIDO&percorso=LIDOA#

If you look to the left of the map in the above link you can click on the stations and the map will locate there.

If you click on the first station, Porta S. Paulo, the train times will pop up.

Edited by euro cruiser

You can get to Ostia Antica by train, but to be relaxed with the time and eventually have time to do something else, I would personally go with a tour. I add one company to the usually suggested companies for private tours you contact: http://www.lucianoromatour.com

I use them for my transfers when I am back at home and leaving abroad, this is my suggestion to my colleagues and friends visiting Rome.

kind regards and enjoy your trip!

The OP was speaking of a 7-7 port day...so luggage is not an issue. But if somebody wanted to go to Ostia on a debarkation day, a one-way rental car works quite well. You pick up your car near the port (Sixt and Hertz are the closest) store your luggage in the trunk (boot for you Brits) and then drop the car at the airport later in the day (if that fits your schedule). We must add a caution that leaving valuables in a car always involves some risk (especially where the luggage is visable) so this is a good time to get a car with a trunk (boot) large enough to properly store and hide all luggage.

Storing luggage at train stations can be a bit of a hassle. The last time we did this the luggage folks opened and thoroughly searched every single bag (dumping stuff all over the counter) and did a great job messing up all DWs nice packing. And then you must pay for this wonderful service and allow sufficient time for the process (and possible queues). And to be candid, we have never felt confident about leaving our "valuables" at a train station luggage room....but I guess that is our own personal hang-up.

Hank

And what about your luggage?

The original poster shouldn't have luggage as this is a day trip for them.

For anyone traveling with luggage, I believe Ostiense does have a luggage storage facility:

http://www.raileurope-world.com/place/roma-ostiense

As Twickenham rightly points out, Termini also offers luggage storage.

The OP was speaking of a 7-7 port day...so luggage is not an issue. But if somebody wanted to go to Ostia on a debarkation day, a one-way rental car works quite well. You pick up your car near the port (Sixt and Hertz are the closest) store your luggage in the trunk (boot for you Brits) and then drop the car at the airport later in the day (if that fits your schedule). We must add a caution that leaving valuables in a car always involves some risk (especially where the luggage is visable) so this is a good time to get a car with a trunk (boot) large enough to properly store and hide all luggage.

Storing luggage at train stations can be a bit of a hassle. The last time we did this the luggage folks opened and thoroughly searched every single bag (dumping stuff all over the counter) and did a great job messing up all DWs nice packing. And then you must pay for this wonderful service and allow sufficient time for the process (and possible queues). And to be candid, we have never felt confident about leaving our "valuables" at a train station luggage room....but I guess that is our own personal hang-up.

Hank

Not at all, Hank. We would have a problem with storing luggage at a train station. Just the hassle.

Thank you all so much for the info. Have contacted Luciano Roma Tours - think we'd be more comfortable with a guide.

Please be sure you understand what you contract for, to ensure you get what you want. Drivers and guides are different licenses in Italy and a driver cannot legally accompany you into a site. If you want a guide in addition to transportation services you must specify this and pay extra for the additional personnel.

Please be sure you understand what you contract for, to ensure you get what you want. Drivers and guides are different licenses in Italy and a driver cannot legally accompany you into a site. If you want a guide in addition to transportation services you must specify this and pay extra for the additional personnel.

We have done it both ways and would prefer the driver only. Just "tip" the driver to be your guide and chances are he will be.

Edited by General Max

We have done it both ways and would prefer the driver only. Just "tip" the driver to be your guide and chances are he will be.

So you'd pay a guy to pretend he knows something he doesn't? Knowledge of a site like Ostia Antiqa isn't exactly common ... but you'll get what you deserve.

Edited by euro cruiser

So you'd pay a guy to pretend he knows something he doesn't? Knowledge of a site like Ostia Antiqa isn't exactly common ... but you'll get what you deserve.

How would I know that the guy is pretending and in the scheme of things what does it really matter?

How would I know that the guy is pretending and in the scheme of things what does it really matter?

Well, obviously everyone is different but if I'm paying someone to give me information, I'd like to know that information is correct. Some of us go to a lot of time and effort to study places before we get there and really feel strongly about it -- hence my offer to share my Herculaneum notes over which I spent many hours. :cool:

Have to agree with Euro and there is another issue. Professional guides in Italy are licensed. A taxi or car driver, who is not a licensed guide would not even have access to a paid entrance site (like Ostia) unless they pay the admission fee (or they would get you to pay). And Ostia Antica is a very large sprawling area of ruins (with some excellent signs explaining things in English) that requires a guide to have some very specific knowledge if they are going to be useful to a tourist. Personally, we were quite happy to just stroll through the ruins and read the various posted info, but it is also possible to rent an audio guide at the entrance.

And given some of the comments we will tell of an interesting personal experience, DW and I have been to Kusadasi many times and have visited the ruins at Ephesus on 4 occasions since that place is a personal favorite. On 3 of those visits we have had guided tours (both group and personal) but on one visit we just took the local van/bus out to the area (had to hike about a mile to get to the ruins) and just spend a few hours walking the ruins and listening to many different tour guides (you just stand at the back of their tour groups). We heard totally conflicting stories and descriptions from many of the professional guides....that actually had us laughing. It was so bad that even ruins of buildings, that were clearly marked and explained in written guides, were totally misidentified by some of the so-called "professional" guides. It was even worse at the nearby Virgin Mary House where we heard some guides telling their charges that there was "no question that the Virgin Mary lived in that house." The reality is that there is absolutely no real evidence of this....but why would a guide want to confuse the facts with his/her tales.

Hank

Hank

It doesn't matter if you don't care - - - but why pay someone to BS you? Lots of folks are willing to do that for free.

I have bought cars from car dealers and houses from real estate agents and I never believe everything they say.

I have also hired private guides with the personality of a rock.

I have bought cars from car dealers and houses from real estate agents and I never believe everything they say.

I have also hired private guides with the personality of a rock.

A salesperson is not the same thing as a licensed guide.

Personally, I don't care if my guide has the personality of a rock. They are there to provide me with accurate information and assist me in seeing what I want to see. As far as I'm concerned, their job is not to entertain me -- I don't want a guide to sing cheesy Italian songs to me (as I've heard some drivers do) or gift me with a bottle of limoncello or tell me entertaining but largely untrue stories about ancient Romans.

A salesperson is not the same thing as a licensed guide.

Personally, I don't care if my guide has the personality of a rock. They are there to provide me with accurate information and assist me in seeing what I want to see. As far as I'm concerned, their job is not to entertain me -- I don't want a guide to sing cheesy Italian songs to me (as I've heard some drivers do) or gift me with a bottle of limoncello or tell me entertaining but largely untrue stories about ancient Romans.

I like limoncello. I acquired a taste for it in Sorrento in 2005.