Is my time dining a different dress code?

. You are not a lesser being because you prefer casual clothing. Integrity is from the inside out, not the other way around.

Bingo!

If DrD thinks kahkis and a polo shirt is "ragged clothing" maybe he needs to seach out a more elegant cruise line.

Oh wait, some of them dont even make you wear a tux or suit! :rolleyes:

Who expected a vocabulary lesson here?

Just for the record, I am an equal opportunity offender/adherer of the "code". It really depends on the ship / itinerary / make-up of my fellow cruisers.

By offender, I mean jeans in the dining room on casual days and dress shirts and pants with no ties on formal nights. By adherer, I mean tuxes for formal nights and sports coats for casual nights. Not on one occasion did I feel over-dressed or under-dressed.

I will also say that I have never seen anyone dressed in a manner that is often described here in the dining room during formal nights, i.e. hats, t-shirts, jorts, etc. You will see these outfits outside of the dining room during formal nights as these individuals choose to partake in other dining options.

To those who get worked up over this; life's too short. Relax. The only reason that this bothers you is that you let it bother you.

Edited by comxkid

True, Windjammer is a choice, but maybe you'd like to sit and be served, just not have to "put on the dog" so to speak because it is a designated "formal" night. To call people "tatterdemalions" is kind of insulting. You are not a lesser being because you prefer casual clothing. Integrity is from the inside out, not the other way around.

And part of integrity is having respect for others and following rules and etiquette. The ones who think its perfectly fine to show up in the dining room on formal nights in the clothes they wore to the beach excursion earlier in the day are probably the same ones who get in the "express, 10 items or less" checkout lines with 4x that, the same ones who think its fine to not silence their phone and use it during movies in the theatre, etc. You'll not get arrested or kicked out for those things either, but that doesn't mean that you somehow should be allowed to completely ignore the rules - with the argument that "they're really only suggestions anyway and its just not what I really feel like doing."

Just to give a bit more feedback.

CruiseTobey said:

"What is accepted by the host is all that matters. Passengers have no right to foist what they feel is mandatory on those who happen to have a different viewpoint."

When those at our table were upset about the many people wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and hats at the MDR we mentioned this response and it kind of helped. So thank you CruiseTobey. You got us looking from a different perspective.

As for some other posts here - to say that the code is never enforced was not true 2 and 3 years ago. We several times on different cruises had table mates that were sent away to get changed when they were wearing shorts, even though their outfits were overall quite dressy. We had been told beforehand by friends that "casual" meant long pants and that our understand of the meaning of casual was different to what the cruise line standard is.

I personally went and spent quite a bit of money to upgrade my wardrobe so that I would fit in to the general standard of dress that I experienced when I first started cruising only 3 years ago. For my second trip I was loaned some nice outfits by an experienced cruiser friend and I loved getting dressed up. It was part of making the trip special. Those clothes rarely see the light of day off ship as we don't live near fine dining places.

I also like to have evening meals at the Windjammer, and that suits very well as we have noticed in the evenings some dishes are the same as the dining room offerings. I think if you don't want to dress up that the Windjammer is a decent place to eat. We see Ship Officers eat there in the evening also. We have a friend that loathes the Windjammer dinner offerings. Turns out he has NEVER eaten dinner there. He is purely going on other people's opinion. He did not believe that we were happy with the food there. How he thinks lunch is fine, but it turns different in the evening is a mystery to me!

Anyhow, I would thank those that took the time to reply. I personally am saddened by the demise of my host's standards for the MDR. We were also disappointed to see the shorts worn by a few people in the Diamond lounge for happy hours drinks. I am however thinking that it will be much easier to pack light in future!

Just to give a bit more feedback.

CruiseTobey said:

"What is accepted by the host is all that matters. Passengers have no right to foist what they feel is mandatory on those who happen to have a different viewpoint."

When those at our table were upset about the many people wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and hats at the MDR we mentioned this response and it kind of helped. So thank you CruiseTobey. You got us looking from a different perspective.

As for some other posts here - to say that the code is never enforced was not true 2 and 3 years ago. We several times on different cruises had table mates that were sent away to get changed when they were wearing shorts, even though their outfits were overall quite dressy. We had been told beforehand by friends that "casual" meant long pants and that our understand of the meaning of casual was different to what the cruise line standard is.

I personally went and spent quite a bit of money to upgrade my wardrobe so that I would fit in to the general standard of dress that I experienced when I first started cruising only 3 years ago. For my second trip I was loaned some nice outfits by an experienced cruiser friend and I loved getting dressed up. It was part of making the trip special. Those clothes rarely see the light of day off ship as we don't live near fine dining places.

I also like to have evening meals at the Windjammer, and that suits very well as we have noticed in the evenings some dishes are the same as the dining room offerings. I think if you don't want to dress up that the Windjammer is a decent place to eat. We see Ship Officers eat there in the evening also. We have a friend that loathes the Windjammer dinner offerings. Turns out he has NEVER eaten dinner there. He is purely going on other people's opinion. He did not believe that we were happy with the food there. How he thinks lunch is fine, but it turns different in the evening is a mystery to me!

Anyhow, I would thank those that took the time to reply. I personally am saddened by the demise of my host's standards for the MDR. We were also disappointed to see the shorts worn by a few people in the Diamond lounge for happy hours drinks. I am however thinking that it will be much easier to pack light in future!

Well, again, I have to respectfully disagree with Tobey. When the grocery has express lines labelled "20 items or less" and you insist on using them when you have 40 or more - that rule isn't mandatory, but you're rude and inconsiderate for deciding that YOU can just ignore it! Same thing here. The host (RCCL) has NOT changed their standards for the MDR, they're the same as they've been for some time. The only thing which has apparently changed is the willingness of the crew on some ships to enforce the standards. The standards are still the same.

By the way, there ARE several cruise lines which have no formal nights. I'd think the people who claim they hate dressing up would gravitate to those...

Well, again, I have to respectfully disagree with Tobey. When the grocery has express lines labelled "20 items or less" and you insist on using them when you have 40 or more - that rule isn't mandatory, but you're rude and inconsiderate for deciding that YOU can just ignore it!

But there are plenty of cashiers who are bored and invite people into the line even though they have more than however many items. It's happened to me many times. I always make sure they know I have many items, and they WANT me to move over so they have something to do.

I'm sure the people behind me think I'm rude, but I was just following the request of the cashier.

When you are doing daily excursions off the ship, and then have to come back, tired and just wanting to relax, it is annoying to have to dress just to make a presence.

I think that this is where the split happens. Some people feeling that cleaning up and getting dressed in their pretties is more difficult than others. For me, the hardest part of going from beach/port/pool to dinner is trying to get my hair dry before dinner. But I have that problem no matter what I'll be putting on.

Now that I have clothes that fit; that aren't too tight or too loose, putting on my long dress is the same effort as putting on a shorter dress or some capris and a top. For DH, the only difference is buttoning that top button on his nice shirts and how hot a suit jacket gets in a stateroom when someone is running the hair dryer for 100 years.

We're going to clean up anyway so as to look nice for ourselves and each other. After that it's just the sorts of clothes!

But there are plenty of cashiers who are bored and invite people into the line even though they have more than however many items. It's happened to me many times. I always make sure they know I have many items, and they WANT me to move over so they have something to do.

I'm sure the people behind me think I'm rude, but I was just following the request of the cashier.

I wouldn't say "many times", but that has happened to me on occasion, and of course that's different. Is it possible that someone will come up behind me who didn't see that happen and think I was just rude and inconsiderate? Sure, but I know I wasn't - and I've actually more than once apologized and said "sorry, there was no one here and the cashier motioned me over here." On the other hand, I'm sure you've seen people often get in those lines with way too many items without any suggestion at all from the cashier - I know I have all too often. If I didn't see them get in line, I'll assume the best, but if I did witness them jump in all on their own, then there's no other possible conclusion - they're rude and inconsiderate! :)

When you are doing daily excursions off the ship, and then have to come back, tired and just wanting to relax, it is annoying to have to dress just to make a presence.
I think that this is where the split happens. Some people feeling that cleaning up and getting dressed in their pretties is more difficult than others. For me, the hardest part of going from beach/port/pool to dinner is trying to get my hair dry before dinner. But I have that problem no matter what I'll be putting on.

Now that I have clothes that fit; that aren't too tight or too loose, putting on my long dress is the same effort as putting on a shorter dress or some capris and a top. For DH, the only difference is buttoning that top button on his nice shirts and how hot a suit jacket gets in a stateroom when someone is running the hair dryer for 100 years.

We're going to clean up anyway so as to look nice for ourselves and each other. After that it's just the sorts of clothes!

Exactly - being considerate. As Lachase alluded to, he feels its fine to just come back from the off-ship excursion and wander up to the dining room in whatever he happens to be wearing, and completely ignore cleaning up at all or respecting the ship's requested attire.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I still don't understand how what anybody else is wearing can affect someone else's meal. Get over yourselves, you're on a Royal Caribbean cruise which is a mass market cruise line that doesn't discriminate, and neither should you. For those of you wanting everyone in full on formal maybe you should pony up and spring for a Silversea or Cunard cruise. Oh but you won't will you......and you know why......:rolleyes:

More like its open to people that just want to grab, eat and go instead of spending 2 hours on a meal in a fancy dining room.

Tatterdemalion LOL! Nice word. Had to google that one. I have yet to see "ragged clothing" on any cruise Ive been on.

Thanks, I originally had a different word but decided it was not very nice, so I went to thesaurus. It was a new word for me also.

I still don't understand how what anybody else is wearing can affect someone else's meal. Get over yourselves, you're on a Royal Caribbean cruise which is a mass market cruise line that doesn't discriminate, and neither should you. For those of you wanting everyone in full on formal maybe you should pony up and spring for a Silversea or Cunard cruise. Oh but you won't will you......and you know why......:rolleyes:

Yes, it's very hard to understand, yet humans have been decorating objects and making art since caveman times. Scientists have advanced various theories as to why the human brain enjoys aesthetically pleasing things but so far there's not been a definitive answer.

But of course as the trillion dollar fashion industry and the 230 billion dollar cosmetic industry prove it's a real phenomenon.

Some things have to be just accepted rather than understood. Like why do people care if I curse? I don't understand that either, but I accept society's consensus and follow it.

If understanding a custom was a prerequisite for observing it we'd see a lot of changes.

Yes, it's very hard to understand, yet humans have been decorating objects and making art since caveman times. Scientists have advanced various theories as to why the human brain enjoys aesthetically pleasing things but so far there's not been a definitive answer.

But of course as the trillion dollar fashion industry and the 230 billion dollar cosmetic industry prove it's a real phenomenon.

Some things have to be just accepted rather than understood. Like why do people care if I curse? I don't understand that either, but I accept society's consensus and follow it.

If understanding a custom was a prerequisite for observing it we'd see a lot of changes.

DrD, I get what you're saying. I really do. But what's that old saying...."you can put lipstick on a pig.....".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DrD, I get what you're saying. I really do. But what's that old saying...."you can put lipstick on a pig.....".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well yes there is that. Good point. I doubt that statement will cause any controversy ;)

I have another theory. It relates to the prepaid gratuities. If you get sent away you might ask for your gratuities to be taken off. I have already paid up front so the atmosphere doesn't need to be special for me. They just have to bring the dinner in a timely manner.

Has anyone noticed the t shirt and shorts brigade made headway soon after compulsory gratuities?

I know the saying about lipstick on a pig, but I think if you dressed a bogan in nicer clothes then it might be harder to spot them from the other side of the MDR.

I still think baseball caps with sunglasses at anyone's dinner table is just rude.

Edited by kjsmith63

I like casual. That is my personality and I dread having to drag along extra dress up clothes, just to "fit in" with themes. I love the idea of allowing people to choose whether they want to be formal or "come as you are". When you are doing daily excursions off the ship, and then have to come back, tired and just wanting to relax, it is annoying to have to dress just to make a presence. If you want to play the game, fine, but everyone is paying a good sum of money for their cruise, so there should be options for all. They could segregate the casual dressers and have a formal section, etc. to keep everyone surrounded by their "own kinds" if they chose. To each his own is a good thing.

YES it is :)

As I've stated before. "manners" and "being considerate" have absolutely nothing to do with how one chooses to dress. If the manner of dress is acceptable by RCL, that is all that matters. That is not to say that one should not look presentable, but "presentable" is a relative word and may not suit everyone's particular taste.

I seems that the passengers with the greatest issue with this subject are those who go to either extreme (formally dressed vs. a "tatterdemalion"); those in the middle appear to be more moderate in their viewpoint.

Edited by CruiseTobey

As I've stated before. "manners" and "being considerate" have absolutely nothing to do with how one chooses to dress. If the manner of dress is acceptable by RCL, that is all that matters. That is not to say that one should not look presentable, but "presentable" is a relative word and may not suit everyone's particular taste.

I seems that the passengers with the greatest issue with this subject are those who go to either extreme (formally dressed vs. a "tatterdemalion"); those in the middle appear to be more moderate in their viewpoint.

facebook_like_button_big1-300x133.jpg

Edited by ryano

On that you're simply wrong Tobey. Manners & being considerate absolutely DO have to do with how one dresses in the MDR. RCI very clearly states how they request that you dress. Just like the grocery store very clearly states how many items are allowed in the express checkout lanes. In both cases the fact that the MDR staff or the grocery checker don't strictly enforce the rule to avoid confrontation doesn't change the fact that by deciding that YOU are above the rules & don't have to pay any attention to them, in each case you ARE being inconsiderate & displaying poor manners.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

On that you're simply wrong Tobey. Manners & being considerate absolutely DO have to do with how one dresses in the MDR. RCI very clearly states how they request that you dress. Just like the grocery store very clearly states how many items are allowed in the express checkout lanes. In both cases the fact that the MDR staff or the grocery checker don't strictly enforce the rule to avoid confrontation doesn't change the fact that by deciding that YOU are above the rules & don't have to pay any attention to them, in each case you ARE being inconsiderate & displaying poor manners.

Yawn :rolleyes:

On that you are simply WRONG LetsGetWet but go on believing that if thats what helps you sleep better at night.

If you think wearing khakis and a polo shirt to the MDR on formal night is being inconsiderate and displaying poor manners, perhaps you are on the wrong cruise line altogether. Id suggest Cunard or some other stuffy line.

Funny how most ALL the waiters are now preprogrammed to tell you in advance "tomorrow night is formal night, dont worry about dressing up" or something to that effect. I hear it on every cruise Ive been on.

I find it absolutely hilarious and sad all the same that the only people that worry about what others wear to dinner are a select few here that wont even be on the same cruise in the first place :rolleyes:

Sent from my Dell Optiplex 9900 desktop computer

Edited by ryano

YAWN... I bet you rationalize the same way when you cut into that express checkout line, don't you? ;)

I dont cut into the express line thank you very much.

Oh and FWIW, I also wear a tux on formal night.

I just dont give a **** what you or anyone else wears as long as you wear something. Youll still be welcome at my table. I have other things to do on my hard earned vacation than worry about such petty stuff.

Edited by ryano

Manners have nothing to do with how someone dresses. I have seen absolute pigs dressed in tuxes and dressed in tshirts. Some people were just never taught manners.

My son has played rugby in high school, college and now for a competitive mens team. Many times there is some kind of a potluck after a match. I have helped serve people in full rugby kit, shorts and no shirt or even in just compression shorts and the some have excellent manners and others are just pigs. It had nothing to do with what they are wearing or not wearing. The ones that had no manners, still have no manners when you see them dressed up at an end of year party.

Personally, when we are at home, we don't "dress up" for dinners out. My fiance doesn't even own a suit. He is a laborer, and laborers wear work pants and steel toed boots. We surely are not going to buy a suit so we can eat dinner on a cruise. A vacation is about getting away from the stresses of every day life. We paid for our vacation just like everyone else and within reason, we will wear what we like to dinner.

I get the feeling you live a very frustrating life. Do you count how many cars don't come to a complete stop at stop signs as well?

For the record, I also believe that no one should be "above the rules", but in this case the "rules" are enforced (or not) by RCL, not the passenger. I'll beat this horse one more time: There is no dress code, rule, decree, edict, statute etc. that demands formal wear on any given night. Rather, two evenings per 7-night cruise are set aside for those who wish to participate in a formal theme for the night - participation is not required or mandated. Why is this so hard to understand?

I wonder if you would be upset to see an individual in a tux on a casual evening...

Edited by CruiseTobey

I get the feeling you live a very frustrating life. Do you count how many cars don't come to a complete stop at stop signs as well?

For the record, I also believe that no one should be "above the rules", but in this case the "rules" are enforced (or not) by RCL, not the passenger. I'll beat this horse one more time: There is no dress code, rule, decree, edict, statute etc. that demands formal wear on any given night. Rather, two evenings per 7-night cruise are set aside for those who wish to participate in a formal theme for the night - participation is not required or mandated. Why is this so hard to understand?

I wonder if you would be upset to see an individual in a tux on a casual evening...

For the record, I'd not trust those feelings of yours... LOL ;)

Also, I don't think anyone - certainly not me - has said the rules are enforced by the passenger, so you might want to throw that red herring overboard. :)

There is a dress code, and "demands" is your word - no, you won't find the word "demands" within the dress code, nor within the supermarket express lane rule - but they are codes or rules nonetheless.

An observation -- it appears you DO live by your signature! :cool: