What are the logistics in using a drink package?

TickledBlue

Through the 123 promotion, we got the free drink package for a upcoming cruise on the Equinox.

What are the logistics in using it? I mean, for each drink we order, do we hand our ship card, sign for the drinks, and the costs are deducted from our account? Are the gratuities deducted too?

Hand them your ship card. They scan it to verify and register the transaction and hand it back to you. No slip and nothing to sign. Your on-board account detail will show a charge of $-0- for the drink.

Standard gratuity is included in the package.

If you ever have questions about what is included then just mention to the bar tender or bar waiter that you have the package. For example you might ask what nicer call brands of spirits are available with your package for your cocktail to me made with.

Edited by Lsimon

Through the 123 promotion, we got the free drink package for a upcoming cruise on the Equinox.

What are the logistics in using it? I mean, for each drink we order, do we hand our ship card, sign for the drinks, and the costs are deducted from our account? Are the gratuities deducted too?

There is no $ amount credited to the cabin account to deduct from. The daily $ amount used is for illustration purposes only. You hand the server/bartender your card, they swipe it, hand it back. Your account is coded in the system with the package you have, no need to sign anything. By the 3rd evening in the MDR the Som never asked for our card again.

I guess some passengers would say 15% is way to much. Didn't intend to open another "tipping" debate here on this thread, but lets just say some of us like to make sure those individuals who serve you well get to receive just compensation above 15%. Works for me.

I certainly made sure that Marko was 'extra' compensated at the Martini Bar at the end of our cruise. He went above and beyond for us. Sure - 15% is just fine and nothing else needed. But, if you have that one special bartender...no harm in rewarding them and I think they certainly appreciate it.

Tip or don't tip 'extra' - your call. Just enjoy the package :)

1. Order Drink

2. Hand them Seapass.

3. Finish Drink while they are swiping card.

4. Receive card back.

5. Order another Drink.

Repeat frequently.

If sober, check account on TV in room to see how many you have ordered at $0.00 and adjust accordingly.

I agree with Tommy3putt, who would appear to be a poor golfer :-), that a few extra dollars ensures prompt service and special care from the bartenders. I remember one cruise where I had a bartender who poured strong and large drinks all cruise when I gave him some extra at the beginning. Never had to wait very long and my frozen margarittas were so full, that I had to drink faster than they could melt or they would spill. It works and I have been doing it ever since.

Edited by kampinguru

I guess some passengers would say 15% is way to much. Didn't intend to open another "tipping" debate here on this thread, but lets just say some of us like to make sure those individuals who serve you well get to receive just compensation above 15%. Works for me.

I'm with you. I often throw a few extra bucks as well. I totally empathize with how hard these folks work. It's very customary to leave large tips in pubs/bars here in NYC, and I transfer that to the ships as well. If it keeps my face fresh in the the bartender's head, no harm no foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1. Order Drink

2. Hand them Seapass.

4. Receive card back.

5. Order another Drink.

Repeat frequently.

If sober, check account on TV in room to see how many you have ordered at $0.00 and adjust accordingly.

I agree with Tommy3putt, who would appear to be a poor golfer :-), that a few extra dollars ensures prompt service and special care from the bartenders. I remember one cruise where I had a bartender who poured strong and large drinks all cruise when I gave him some extra at the beginning. Never had to wait very long and my frozen margarittas were so full, that I had to drink faster than they could melt or they would spill. It works and I have been doing it ever since.

LOL!!!! Very observant. Thats my Sopranos nickname given to my by my golfing buddies. Been playing golf since I was 11 (40+ years) and I still can't chip or putt! My golfing buddies know that no matter how long my drive and what my current score on the hole may be, as long as I've got a wedge or putter in my hand, they are never out of the hole!

Edited by Tommy3putts

1. Order Drink

2. Hand them Seapass.

4. Receive card back.

5. Order another Drink.

Repeat frequently.

I...

Don't forget that at the end of the cruise they give you a list of all your purchases...I can't believe how many pages our last trip bill had...wow...it is sure nice to see "zeros", but still kind of shocking how many lines it contained:eek::eek:

Don't forget that at the end of the cruise they give you a list of all your purchases...I can't believe how many pages our last trip bill had...wow...it is sure nice to see "zeros", but still kind of shocking how many lines it contained:eek::eek:

So with my Premium Package will every beverage-- I receive (no matter what) show up with a zero balance? Jeeze images of Norm's bar bill (the big black binder) are dancing in my head.

Agree with the various posts. It's very satisfying to get the bill at check-out and see all the zeros. We had to get our room keys refreshed with a new package sticker as the original package indicator had worn off by day 7!

One thing to be aware of (mainly in the buffet) where you're less likely to have continuity of server, if you order an espresso and a water or a glass of wine and a water they may say that you can only have one at a time. This only happened a couple of times but just meant that they had to walk to the bar twice in very close succession :) There was never any issue in the MDR and when they ran out of our preferred wine the sommelier found an alternative which certainly wasn't cheaper :D

Thanks everyone for the info.

Actually, we don't intend to get alcoholic drinks or go to the bars much on board and definitely wouldn't have purchased the drink package -- it was just included at the right price (free).

While I like to tip for great service, it is good to know that the gratuity is already included and I think it will likely be sufficient for the service of bringing me a can of Coke and a glass (or cup) in the MDR or at the pool. I'll rethink that if there is some sort of exceptional service.

Gratuity is a very subjective thing and just the mention of it seems to get the response count up on these boards :)

It can also work against them. Why would a server snub others to wait on someone else? They end up with "one friend" and a lot more hostle passengers that will write about the bad service from them. They are still working for future tips and many know that the big blow at the beginning usually means nothing more at the end. The worst is the person that makes the grandstand at the beginning and then brags that there is plenty more for where that came from.

I found that being polite and treating them as equals is really appreciated. I don't need to bribe them at the beginning, If they give me great service without it they will be rewarded at the end for being sincere about it and I feel better giving it to them as I know that I didn't have to pay for it in advance.

Plus if I sit down at a bar and others are waiting and the BT comes to me I will inform them that the others were there before me. It isn't as if they are going to run out and there is no need to rush as if I am in a race to drink as much as I can.

But everyone has their own motives and it is their money to spend as they wish.

.��������

I agree with treating the servers nicely (saying please and thank you never hurt anyone). I do think that an extra buck here or there (I tend to give an extra $1 for 2 drinks) gets you a little better service. It's not that they would ignore anyone else to serve me but they check back on you a little more often, and learn your name, provide extra service in different areas (for instance, had a server in one bar who we tipped for bringing us a glass of water for my mom's pills, and when he was serving in the theatre, he remembered us and came by to ask if she needed a glass of water or anything else) or maybe a little heavier pour or better mixed drink.

I think that the combination of being nice and showing appreciation (not big flashy gestures of, "look everyone I'm giving this lowly worker a big tip and if he does a good job, I'll give even more - look at me, look at me, look at me!!!!") is rewarded by the crew with them going the extra mile for you.

What is the difference in the Classic and Premium drinks package. Is it worth paying the extra for a better choice of spirits and wine. I have just purchased the Premium drinks package and as i am not a big drinker, think I would have been just as good with the classic. Could I cancle and order that package. :confused:

Declan

Hand them your ship card. They scan it to verify and register the transaction and hand it back to you. No slip and nothing to sign. Your on-board account detail will show a charge of $-0- for the drink.

Standard gratuity is included in the package.

If you ever have questions about what is included then just mention to the bar tender or bar waiter that you have the package. For example you might ask what nicer call brands of spirits are available with your package for your cocktail to me made with.

What is the difference in the Classic and Premium drinks package. Is it worth paying the extra for a better choice of spirits and wine. I have just purchased the Premium drinks package and as i am not a big drinker, think I would have been just as good with the classic. Could I cancle and order that package. :confused:

Declan

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages&tab=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab%2Fonboard%2FasrPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic%26ComponentTypeId%3D30%26categoryId%3D%26currencyCode%3DUSD

I think because I got the drink package for free that I would pay even more in additional tips. I liken it to an open bar at an event or wedding. I didn't have to pay for the drinks but someone still has to pour them. That person is going to get tips from me.

The package includes 15% gratuity paid by the cruiseline. But I still have budgeted money for drinks. Since that amount is much lower I will tip more.

Declan

We like the Premium package and plan to upgrade from our free classic package for our May cruise. It will give us access to the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar, two places that make the fancier cocktails we enjoy. It also includes the premium bottled water we enjoy, specialty coffees with alcohol, a bigger choice of wines with our meals, premium brands --- I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. We just like knowing that anything we might want (with a few exceptions, granted) is included. Makes for an elegant, all inclusive type of vacation.