To prevent sickenss on the ship...

texasnana

While on a Holland American cruise last summer for the first 48 hours at the Buffet we were served all foods and drinks. With servers with gloves. If not one got sick within those 48 hours they would let us serve ourselves. This also happened on a Carnival ship as it had the virus before and during our cruise. I got sick on that cruise. Does RCCL do this?:o

No. Although my understanding is with the recent Explorer situation they were doing that to try to control the spread. While that may be a good thing to do, I don't know if that would prevent it. The virus can still be brought on by an infected passenger and spread by contact elsewhere on the ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I've never understood the "glove" thing....if you have gloves on and touch something dirty, then the gloves are dirty! I've seen fast-food servers wearing gloves who would make change with the gloves on, then go and wrap a few sandwiches.... I just don't get the purpose, unless it's to protect the glove wearer from something!

Edited by cb at sea

I've never understood the "glove" thing....if you have gloves on and touch something dirty, then the gloves are dirty! I've seen fast-food servers wearing gloves who would make change with the gloves on, then go and wrap a few sandwiches.... I just don't get the purpose, unless it's to protect the glove wearer from something!

White glove was never about the prevention of the spread of germs. White glove is a symbol of cleanliness though; where as if the glove remains white the wearer has not touched a "dirty" item.

So, not sure that white gloves in and of themselves make any difference, but I do support measures in which the staff served the buffet. As sad as it is, too many people are slobs in regards to personal hygiene or when handling food and I have little doubt that the buffet is a prime area to spread illness.

White glove was never about the prevention of the spread of germs. White glove is a symbol of cleanliness though; where as if the glove remains white the wearer has not touched a "dirty" item.

So, not sure that white gloves in and of themselves make any difference, but I do support measures in which the staff served the buffet. As sad as it is, too many people are slobs in regards to personal hygiene or when handling food and I have little doubt that the buffet is a prime area to spread illness.

I think the poster was referring to plastic rather than white gloves. In any event, reports from those boarding Explorer today note that workers in the WJ are serving food rather than permitting self service.