Appealing Global Entry Decision

I think because it's travel related?

There's an unlimited number of topics that are travel related that are not on this board. I'm also confused about why this particular "travel related" topic is on this board. :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by time4u2go

Jean - we were able to get Nexus and Global entry both at the same time for the same $50. I was amazed that it only cost us $50 for 5 years. I guess the procedure is a bit different in the U.S.

I'm looking forward to breezing through customs and airport security in a few weeks on our way to San Juan.:D

You can do Nexus if you are close to a Canadian border or planning travel to Canada, Nexus includes Global Entry.

Edited by Jobeth66

I, personally, am very glad it was here. I do not "surf" general boards. I, too, was randomly chosen on a recent flight for the special entry. Made flying so much less stressful and quicker. If you have it, you don't have to worry about what shoes to wear or socks getting dirty, taking off jackets to go through security or standing in a rather embarrassing position (for a woman at least) when going through the xray. Thank you for all the information and links. Kathryn

You can do Nexus if you are close to a Canadian border or planning travel to Canada, Nexus includes Global Entry.

Alas, we are far closer to Mexico than to Canada (we get Sentries for Mexico access). I don't know if Nexus would give US residents Global Entry without the separate application, but perhaps will investigate it when our GE expires in 2018.

There is also some discussion of the program on the Cruise Air threads (where I imagine a certain moderator will move this one to when he returns). But IMO the thread certainly belongs on CC, especially given how many people want to know at booking early flights post-cruise and having pre-check can greatly increase ones odds of making them.

Alas, we are far closer to Mexico than to Canada (we get Sentries for Mexico access). I don't know if Nexus would give US residents Global Entry without the separate application, but perhaps will investigate it when our GE expires in 2018.

It's my understanding that it's the same application, just one interview. I'm considering it next time I have to go to Toronto. I don't know if Sentri gives you the GE as well.

I don't know if it belongs in Cruise Air because GE, Nexus and Sentri are all for any border crossing, not just air travel. In fact, I'm wondering how Nexus/Sentri/Global Entry work when you are clearing customs on the ship.

There's an unlimited number of topics that are travel related that are not on this board. I'm also confused about why this particular "travel related" topic is on this board. :confused::confused::confused:

Not sure - but I am enjoying this discussion as others have stated they are too. If the moderator for this board moves it, I will follow :D

It doesn't help when clearing customs off a ship at this point. I can only speak as a US citizen, but you don't skip customs. Upon arriving at a US airport from a foreign country, instead of waiting in a line for a customs agent, you go to a kiosk and insert your passport and scan your fingerprints. You don't complete the paper customs declaration as it is processed electronically at the kiosk. You receive a printout from the kiosk and then still have to go retrieve your luggage. You then proceed with your luggage and your printout to what is usually a separate line to exit customs but still see a customs officers upon exit. I used this three times last year and it certainly helped but customs was not too bad any of the times. If customs is crazy, would likely be a bit help. As others have mentioned, it also provides you with a trusted traveler ID which will allow you to use TSA Precheck. Although that is only offered under certain circumstances (specific airlines/airports).

Edited by beagledude

It's my understanding that it's the same application, just one interview. I'm considering it next time I have to go to Toronto. I don't know if Sentri gives you the GE as well.

I don't know if it belongs in Cruise Air because GE, Nexus and Sentri are all for any border crossing, not just air travel. In fact, I'm wondering how Nexus/Sentri/Global Entry work when you are clearing customs on the ship.

They don't work at all.:(

I'm thinking that a Pre-check discussion is most relevant to US cruisers - GE gives one access to that program so, if one is flying home to CA from FL after a cruise as I did today, being able to use the pre-check line can have an impact on whether to book that early flight home. The caveat is that one is never guaranteed to get the coveted Pre-check symbol on ones boarding pass, so it's still a risk that I don't take.

Edited by critterchick

Because we had Global Entry we were able to make a tight connection home after arriving in the U.S. from a Royal Caribbean cruise on the Liberty of the Seas out of Barcelona. The airlines changed our flight and the connection became legal, but much closer than we had planned. If you don't think that can happen to you, think again. And that my friends is why this is pertinent to the Royal Caribbean Boards. Certainly as much or more as a smoking thread or a drinks package thread.

My advice to those that do not approve of this topic being on these boards is this….move along….do not click on the thread. To others of us who DO take cruises on Royal Caribbean in International ports, it IS an important topic.

I hope those who think this topic doesn't belong here are lucky enough to some day take a Royal Caribbean Cruise out of an International port. You will realize the importance of this topic if you do.

Some things are just plain confusing....but it's an interesting topic, and lots of folks are enjoying the read. Just saying..........

:D

Because we had Global Entry we were able to make a tight connection home after arriving in the U.S. from a Royal Caribbean cruise on the Liberty of the Seas out of Barcelona. The airlines changed our flight and the connection became legal, but much closer than we had planned. If you don't think that can happen to you, think again. And that my friends is why this is pertinent to the Royal Caribbean Boards. Certainly as much or more as a smoking thread or a drinks package thread.

My advice to those that do not approve of this topic being on these boards is this….move along….do not click on the thread. To others of us who DO take cruises on Royal Caribbean in International ports, it IS an important topic.

I hope those who think this topic doesn't belong here are lucky enough to some day take a Royal Caribbean Cruise out of an International port. You will realize the importance of this topic if you do.

I have yet to try an international cruise - but I'm thinking about it! :)

We are looking forward to not having to take off our shoes at security or take our laptops out of their cases :) They are trying this in a special area at the Toronto airport - we saw it when we went for our interview.

I thought Global Entry and TSA-Pre were different things. Are you saying that if you get Global Entry, you also get TSA-Pre check?

hmm, I'd consider that.

Best $100 i ever spent was my Global Entry card. saves so much time in Customs. Wish all airports had pre-check lane (although most do). I was in Ft Myers a few weeks ago (no pre-check line) but when i got to the podium- they gave me a green pre-check card, so even i didn't have to take off shoes or take out laptop. love it!

Global entry is $100 for 5 years. TSA pre check is $85 for 5 years. GE also give you pre check. There are also more locations for doing global entry interviews. It was a no brainer for us even though we only fly internationally maybe once a year. Put me down as one who was really glad this topic came up. I would have had no idea where to look for this discussion otherwise.

I, personally, am very glad it was here. I do not "surf" general boards. I, too, was randomly chosen on a recent flight for the special entry. Made flying so much less stressful and quicker. If you have it, you don't have to worry about what shoes to wear or socks getting dirty, taking off jackets to go through security or standing in a rather embarrassing position (for a woman at least) when going through the xray. Thank you for all the information and links. Kathryn

Why not just apply for TSA Pre directly? http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/application-program

But...you still have to go through either the xray or the metal detector. It doesn't keep you from that. (and if they want you to go through the scanner and you say no, you get to stand like that in front of everyone (unless you also request a private area to be in) while being frisked...something I don't personally mind but others do)

I thought Global Entry and TSA-Pre were different things. Are you saying that if you get Global Entry, you also get TSA-Pre check?

hmm, I'd consider that.

A way to get Pre is to be part of a Trusted Traveler program like GE. That and being a member of various airline frequent flier programs is how DH gets Pre when he travels.

Edited by mollyeilis