Appealing Global Entry Decision

My SO and I applied for the Global Entry System at the same time, and I got my conditional approval in 4 days, and it's been almost 3 weeks, but his is "still under review". Come to find out, there probably is an issue with something he "may or may not have been in possession of" 40 years ago. I saw a post a while back, but can't find it, of this happening to someone else, and he successfully appealed it.

Can anyone please help me with this? I'm trying to schedule my interview, but would like us to go at the same time. Thanks.

Trish

We just went through the entire process and are now Nexxus and Global Entry card holders. During the interview we were told that any background check completed must come back perfectly clean. If there was anything at all in your past, it would need to be wiped off before an application is made. I'm not sure this helps, but that's what we were told at our in person interview when we asked about the process, and who could potentially be denied.

Not really what I wanted to hear, but thanks. I'll just keep my appointment, and see if I can find out anything. It doesn't make sense for me to have it, and him not. I got pre-check a few weeks ago - randomly - and he didn't. It was a 20 minute difference. That's when we decided to sign up for it. A shame that he may have wasted $100.

Trish

How long after your interview did you get your cards. We have an appointment mid-March and were just wondering.

We had our interview (fingerprints and retina scan) on a Saturday, and we received our cards the following Monday - so 8 days later.

We will be trying out this Trusted Traveler program in a few weeks when we fly from Toronto to Miami to San Juan :)

How long after your interview did you get your cards. We have an appointment mid-March and were just wondering.

Unless you don't get past the interview, your global entry is immediately activated. You don't need the cards and I'm pretty sure they are only used when walking across the border. We don't even carry them when leaving the country.

Unless you don't get past the interview, your global entry is immediately activated. You don't need the cards and I'm pretty sure they are only used when walking across the border. We don't even carry them when leaving the country.

Not sure about that :rolleyes: We were specifically told that you MUST present your card at all border entry points. As well, your enrollment is not official until you receive the actual card and activate it online.

This is what we were told - our interview was only a few weeks ago so it is still fresh.....

Totally agree. The OP would be better served putting this up on a general travel forum. Maybe something over at Tripadvisor.

Sorry but I found it interesting and never would have found it there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

Sorry but I found it interesting and never would have found it their.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I clicked on it thinking someone was talking abut Global services on United airlines:confused:

I also found it useful and glad its here...many sailors travel internationally to do so...RCI offers cruises to Russia, Australia, Europe, Japan.

We've been meaning to do this, but travel so darn much it's hard to find a couple of weeks to be with out the passports ;)

I also found it useful and glad its here...many sailors travel internationally to do so...RCI offers cruises to Russia, Australia, Europe, Japan.

We've been meaning to do this, but travel so darn much it's hard to find a couple of weeks to be with out the passports ;)

Why would you need to be without your passports?

We only needed to show our passports at the in person interview - other than that, only the passport # was required during the application process.

We are looking forward to not having to take off our shoes at security or take our laptops out of their cases :) They are trying this in a special area at the Toronto airport - we saw it when we went for our interview.

Why would you need to be without your passports?

We only needed to show our passports at the in person interview - other than that, only the passport # was required during the application process.

We are looking forward to not having to take off our shoes at security or take our laptops out of their cases :) They are trying this in a special area at the Toronto airport - we saw it when we went for our interview.

In the US, you need to send in your old passport when renewing, so you can't do any travel that would require it, but you don't need to surrender your passport when applying for Global Entry.

We have to apply separately for Nexus, which is annoying, since we also have to pay both fees. Lucky you!:)

What is Global Entry?

How does it work?

Where do you apply?

Global Entry is expedited travel through CBP - you basically scan your GE card at a kiosk and skip the lines at customs/border patrol.

It also makes you eligible for pre-check, which means you don't have to take your laptop out of your bag, don't take your belt off, don't take your shoes/jacket of, etc.

It's $100 for 5 years. It does require an application and an in-person interview, so you need to either need to have an interview location nearby, or schedule your interview for sometime when you're traveling.

Link for application/information:

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

Global Entry is expedited travel through CBP - you basically scan your GE card at a kiosk and skip the lines at customs/border patrol.

It also makes you eligible for pre-check, which means you don't have to take your laptop out of your bag, don't take your belt off, don't take your shoes/jacket of, etc.

It's $100 for 5 years. It does require an application and an in-person interview, so you need to either need to have an interview location nearby, or schedule your interview for sometime when you're traveling.

Link for application/information:

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

Thanks. I'll be looking into this.

Sent from my Bat Phone

In the US, you need to send in your old passport when renewing, so you can't do any travel that would require it, but you don't need to surrender your passport when applying for Global Entry.

We have to apply separately for Nexus, which is annoying, since we also have to pay both fees. Lucky you!:)

Jean - we were able to get Nexus and Global entry both at the same time for the same $50. I was amazed that it only cost us $50 for 5 years. I guess the procedure is a bit different in the U.S.

I'm looking forward to breezing through customs and airport security in a few weeks on our way to San Juan.:D