Can you roll on and off a 29" suitcase with spinner wheels? rather than checking it?

SKAGGS1234

I am thinking of just rolling on my 29" Samsonite suitcase with spinner wheels rather than checking it with a porter. Has anyone done this? Any problem getting it through the screening machine?

Also, when disembarking if you are doing self disembark can you just roll it off with out having to carry it up or down stairs.

Which deck and where on the deck do you embark and disembark on the Caribbean Princess?

Thanks for any info!

Doubt that would go through those small screening machines.

Rolling it off the ship, not a problem.

We have always entered for embarkation on Deck 7.

Used to take those huge Sampsonite 4 wheelers.

No longer take my whole closet. We use 24 inch suitcases and they weigh much less, and seem to be able to take all that we need for cruising.

Edited by san diego sue

I am thinking of just rolling on my 29" Samsonite suitcase with spinner wheels rather than checking it with a porter. Has anyone done this? Any problem getting it through the screening machine?

Also, when disembarking if you are doing self disembark can you just roll it off with out having to carry it up or down stairs.

Which deck and where on the deck do you embark and disembark on the Caribbean Princess?

Thanks for any info!

If I'm not mistaken you will need to take the escalator in the terminal when disembarking and they are very strict about have one hand free to hold on to the rail. There are elevators but you will probably wait forever for them.

Now that luggage tags are clearly printed, delivery is much faster than it used to be. I've gotten my bag as fast as 10 minutes after boarding and as late as 3-4 hours after boarding over the past few years. Latest was once when my bag was delivered during Muster. Your bag will take up a lot of space in the elevator as you board with others just as eager to get to their cabin and start their cruise.

As said, I doubt your bag will fit through the security screening. It's not worth trying since if you drop it off, it'll be delivered shortly after.

Edited by Pam in CA

Depends on where you are embarking.

For instance, in October, in one of the Venice terminals, they wouldn't let us bring our 24" roller bag into the terminal. When we went through the scanner, we saw why. Our 21" bag barely fit through. Other terminals in Venice we had no problem with the 24" bag.

In Port Everglades, same situation. Some scanners are larger than others. So it depends...

I just called Princess and they said I could. If it won't fit in the scanner they will use the wand. Now if I can just fit everything in this big suitcase:)!!

You might want to take the bigger bag ... so you can pack containers of wipes w/bleach , and fog-lights for sailaway out of Houston :D

I just called Princess and they said I could. If it won't fit in the scanner they will use the wand. Now if I can just fit everything in this big suitcase:)!!

We have successfully carried on our large rolling luggage. ;)

If it won't fit no big deal they will take it for you.

Interesting! Wonder how a wand detects bottles of alcohol.

I had an experience with not luggage but bringing onboard a 32" LED TV in St. Thomas during our cruise stop there. It was still in the sealed box it came in and would not fit through the scanner. At first the regular security fellow wanted me to open or unseal the box so they could inspect the insides. I showed them the receipt showing I had just bought it within the hour from the nearby Kmart so he call over his supervisor who said since it was still secure in the sealed box I could board without having to open the box up. I've seen other sent back to check in luggage too large to go through the ship's security scanners.

PS It was a cruise out of Bayonne so we drove there to embark on the ship. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

I am curious to know why the OP really wants to carry the suitcase ON to the ship. What advantage is there to that? except maybe early unpacking?

Everyone has their reasons for doing anything, we have taken our luggage onboard ourselves several times because we did not feel like waiting for it to be delivered to the cabin.

If the option is available why would someone need to explain their motives?

did you get the name of the princess rep and have they cruised out of that port, if you could take on your own luggage you have to put it on and off the xray machine yourself

Everyone has their reasons for doing anything, we have taken our luggage onboard ourselves several times because we did not feel like waiting for it to be delivered to the cabin.

If the option is available why would someone need to explain their motives?

Oh, no - I wasn't thinking in terms of "motives" - I was honestly thinking "Why?" in the curious sense, not the accusatory sense.

So, I will ask you instead of the OP - what advantage was there to "not waiting?" I'm sure you have thought of something that hasn't entered my mind. Two things that did occur to me: maybe you don't bring a small carryon, so you want your bathing suit right away; maybe you can't relax until the unpacking is done.

To me it seems a lot of extra effort - so, how come? I don't think you're bringing an explosive, and I don't care if you are bringing alcohol, and really I don't care too much one way or the other why - but maybe there is an advantage that I haven't thought of.

Maddle (who always overpacks)

Oh, no - I wasn't thinking in terms of "motives" - I was honestly thinking "Why?" in the curious sense, not the accusatory sense.

So, I will ask you instead of the OP - what advantage was there to "not waiting?" I'm sure you have thought of something that hasn't entered my mind. Two things that did occur to me: maybe you don't bring a small carryon, so you want your bathing suit right away; maybe you can't relax until the unpacking is done.

To me it seems a lot of extra effort - so, how come? I don't think you're bringing an explosive, and I don't care if you are bringing alcohol, and really I don't care too much one way or the other why - but maybe there is an advantage that I haven't thought of.

Maddle (who always overpacks)

Maybe they want to avoid the occasional swim some checked bags do or other damage done while being handled and delivered to their cabin.:eek:

Are you flying?

My concern would be going over the 50lb weight limit or the size restrictions.

I have a 29" hard sided Samsonite with spinner wheels. I take it on airlines without going over the size or weight limits. I use a small handheld luggage scale to stay within the weight limit.

Also, when disembarking if you are doing self disembark can you just roll it off with out having to carry it up or down stairs. That is going to depend on what deck your stateroom is on. If you need to go to another deck to disembark your only two options are carrying it up/down stairs or patiently waiting & waiting for an elevator with enough room for you and your suitcase.

Thanks for any info!

See comment above. Additionally if the cruise terminal has an elevator you MUST have one hand free to hold the rail. If not you will be directed to use the terminal elevator and again patiently wait and wait and wait as they are slower than the ships..

It will vary with the port. Vancouver uses the airport carry-on sizing frames. If it doesn't fit you must check it with the porters. The actual scanner opening was much larger than that. On our cruise out of San Pedro last week I couldn't fit all all of my stuff and DW's overflow stuff from her carry-on :eek: into my carry-on so I took a wheeled bag that measured 30" x 19" x 11". It went through the scanner with about an inch to spare. As others have mentioned, you need one hand free to use the escalators so don't try to carry on more than one bag. I believe there are escalators at all terminals in San Pedro and Port Everglades. In Seattle I believe there was a ramp to get up to the ship but it was about four flights up the ramp.

Edited by IECalCruiser