Casual Wear

lexie1968

Time will tell, but whilst P&O are never in the vanguard of change and tend to follow the pack at a safe distance, change they usually do - eventually. The telling thing will be which dress codes they apply on Britannia, an aspect on which P&O have so far been silent. If they apply 3 codes, I would concede that P&O are comfortable with staying out of the mainstream on this issue for now. If however, she has only 2 dress codes the writing is on the wall for jacket required.

PS Britannia's livery may provide a clue here, having a great resemblance to Aida and NCL and (dare I say it) Ocean Village.

Staying out of the mainstream and retaining 3 dress codes is exactly what the majority of P&O Cruisers want. In that respect P&O have never been in the mainstream as long as I have sailed with them

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I love the dressy up part of the cruise and my husband looks fantastic in his dinner suit. It`s an exciting time.

My husband bought his dinner suit from M&S and spent time practicing tying his bow tie .

Go for it

Staying out of the mainstream and retaining 3 dress codes is exactly what the majority of P&O Cruisers want. In that respect P&O have never been in the mainstream as long as I have sailed with them

I agree with you Dai. I am a really green newbie as you know and so far I have only been with the Oriana. One of the reasons is that I love the traditional and the dress codes! In my 'normal' life, I get no chance to dress up and it was so lovely to see everyone dressed up on Formal - and Smart nights.

We went on our first cruise in 2012 and like your husband I "don't do suits" but I thought I would give it a try and bought a cheap tuxedo from Asda and went to the formal nights and I am so glad I did, the food is fantastic and I really enjoyed it, so much so that we have saved up like mad and are booked for our second cruise in September.

Tell your hubby to give it a go, he might be surprised, it's shame to pay all that money and miss out on the really good food in the MDR.

Tell your husband not to worry. We did not do formal on Ventura in the Carribean. Enjoyed the buffet or even better the American style diner.

As for the food in the MDRs it is ok but not the fine dining that some people on here rave about. Upmarket Pub Grub at best. But remember they are feeding 2500+ people. Do try East for some great Indian food.

Tell your husband not to worry. We did not do formal on Ventura in the Carribean. Enjoyed the buffet or even better the American style diner.

As for the food in the MDRs it is ok but not the fine dining that some people on here rave about. Upmarket Pub Grub at best. But remember they are feeding 2500+ people. Do try East for some great Indian food.

Well no one i have read has claimed it was fine dining. Because it is not. You cannot get fine dining serving 2000 people.

It is what it is good quality mass catering.

My husband is a jeans and t-shirt type (had to wear a uniform for work so no way a suit at home) but he LOVES his tux on formal nights. He even bought a white one from e-bay. I love the dressing up ( as a nurse also had to wear a uniform for a lot of my career) so I get the glad rags on whenever I can. Try it he might like it.

Also last cruise my sons came and I managed to get a Hugo Boss tux from a charity shop which fitted one son and another Tux from e-bay which fitted the other so no great spending involved (didn't tell number two son that his brother had Hugo Boss though!)

Enjoy whatever suit he wears (as long as not his birthday suit as someone is sure to object). :)

My husband is a jeans and t-shirt type (had to wear a uniform for work so no way a suit at home) but he LOVES his tux on formal nights. He even bought a white one from e-bay. I love the dressing up ( as a nurse also had to wear a uniform for a lot of my career) so I get the glad rags on whenever I can. Try it he might like it.

Also last cruise my sons came and I managed to get a Hugo Boss tux from a charity shop which fitted one son and another Tux from e-bay which fitted the other so no great spending involved (didn't tell number two son that his brother had Hugo Boss though!)

Enjoy whatever suit he wears (as long as not his birthday suit as someone is sure to object). :)

There are cruises where the birthday suit is the norm. Whether they have formal nights and, if so, what is worn and where, I do not pretend to know.

Can totally agree with you there. I wore uniform for 16 years and again in my present job. It's quite good wearing uniform, you don't have to think what to wear when you go to work. However, it's lovely being on a cruise and dressing up, or even wearing a new outfit for smart night.

Jean

• 2 weeks later...
I'm more at home in Bike Leathers day to day.

Jeans Trainers and T's for work. Jumper if it's chilly...

I think I had a suite once, it was used for weddings, funerals and the odd job interview. Now way to small as I have 'filled out'

The thought of 'Dressing up' filled me with dread, as did Formal Dining of any kind.

A (Family enforced) Carnival Cruise showed us a new and totally fabulous way to Holiday. A Shirt and Tie was required on the formal nights. Shirt bought. I even had to get my Collar measured so I got the right size shirt !

Tie - um er - Practiced in the mirror with the help of YouTube !

After a really great holiday we were Hooked. Booked 2 weeks on Azura and headed for the Caribbean.

You can imagine my horror when I found out a Tux was required.....

Tux, Bowtie, Cufflinks and shoes bought c/o Moss Bross.

I'll never forget that first formal evening.

I'd had my hair platted in the Salon / Spar place.

I got all the Clobber on, Daren't look in the mirror, then did and I have to say I felt and looked like a right plonker !

Eventually we left the Cabin and everyone looks like a right plonker !

We felt right at home !

Before the meal we had some Fab Pictures taken.

The rebel in me will never leave, I have Clip on bowties for the meal.

That comes off after we have eaten.

I then have a selection of rather loud Self Tie Bowties that I wear untied for the rest of the evening.

Nowhere does it say that your Bowtie must be tied !

Take the Plunge, Matalan sell a Tux at a very low price. There are also plenty of other places who sell them. I think someone said Asda have them.

Have a Great Cruise and remember, Everyone looks and feels just the same as you do !

We are booked on A502 on Azura and really looking forwards to it.

Alex.

Thank you, put hubby's mind at rest!

Edited by Antmadmanda
Spelling!

I think I had a suite once, it was used for weddings, funerals and the odd job interview. Now way to small as I have 'filled out'

The thought of 'Dressing up' filled me with dread, as did Formal Dining of any kind.

A (Family enforced) Carnival Cruise showed us a new and totally fabulous way to Holiday. A Shirt and Tie was required on the formal nights. Shirt bought. I even had to get my Collar measured so I got the right size shirt !

After a really great holiday we were Hooked. Booked 2 weeks on Azura and headed for the Caribbean.

I got all the Clobber on, Daren't look in the mirror, then did and I have to say I felt and looked like a right plonker !

We felt right at home !

I then have a selection of rather loud Self Tie Bowties that I wear untied for the rest of the evening.

Take the Plunge, Matalan sell a Tux at a very low price. There are also plenty of other places who sell them. I think someone said Asda have them.

Have a Great Cruise and remember, Everyone looks and feels just the same as you do !

Alex.

Parcan, what a fabulous reply, really says it all about the whole spirit of cruising. Well said.

We felt right at home !

Alex.

I find this post entirely shocking loud bow ties undone ...disgusting. BTW can you let us know where I can buy one. :) :) :) ;)