WiFi versus Ruby Computers?

cruzcactus

Can anyone tell me the difference in price using WiFi on own or Ruby's computers in their computer room? I will only be using very few minutes a day? I prefer to use their if not I will have to go out and buy my own tablet with windows.
No difference in price. The only difference is convenience. If you have a smartphone, you can use that instead of buying a tablet.

Be aware that the Princess computers use a modified version of Windows. You are more limited and some email systems are more difficult to use on it. I know Comcast is, not sure of which others. If you use a major email client such as AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, etc., there are icons on the main screen to access those systems.

I think the biggest issue is convince and cleanliness. I would only use a tablet or laptop with wifi so that I know what i have works, it's clean (i.e. noro virus issues) and I have my browser and bookmarks. The ships' computers and wifi all use the same satellite based internet and it's by no means fast. Both are extremely slow and tedious. if you just want to check email perfectly fine, anything else, not so much. I only use my tablet and my smartphone (as mentioned by PAM) both in wifi mode. Works fine and no issues, although I only check email once to make sure no issues have come up with family. Work can suck it when I'm on vaca.

good luck, just remember, the internet is slooow on the ship.

some email systems are more difficult to use on it. I know Comcast is, not sure of which others.

For those with services such as Comcast, Roadrunner, etc., you can easily use http://mail2web.com/ anywhere. You give your regular e-mail address such as myname@comcast.net and your password.

You can then read and respond to any messages or create new ones and it will appear to the receiver that you sent them from your regular e-mail address.

Try it from home before you leave to make sure it works with your provider.

Can anyone tell me the difference in price using WiFi on own or Ruby's computers in their computer room? I will only be using very few minutes a day? I prefer to use their if not I will have to go out and buy my own tablet with windows.

I would not rush out to buy a tablet or notebook computer if you do not otherwise want one, but there are two advantages to using a device that can read/send e-mails with software such as Outloook, Outlopok Express, etc.

First is that with your own device you can sign on anytime you want without having to possibly wait in a long line at the Internet Cafe and also able to do it in your cabin if you wish.

Second is that with an application such as Outlook you can sign on to the Internet, retrieve all your messages and then sign off the Internet. You can then read your messages, compose responses or new e-mails without using Internet minutes, and then sign back on for a few minutes to send out your messages. This saves lots of Internet minutes.

Edited by caribill

Thank you for your answers.

Just wondering what is the cost, for about 5-10 minutes a day?

I really only want to check email and my facebook, lol

Since you're using a system that is satellite-based, it can be very slow at times, unavailable at times, and intermittent at times. No matter what, expect to spend 2-3x the amount of time accessing the Internet at sea than on land. For email, it's best to use an email service that allows you to download, sign off, read, and respond offline, and then re-sign-on to send. If you're using a Princess computer, you won't be able to do that. :( Facebook downloads a lot of graphics so it can be very slow.

The bottom line is that there's no way you'll use just 5-10 minutes a day to read email and check FB. It'll be more like 15-20 minutes and that's if you've downloaded and read email offline. Your best bet is to pre-purchase a package as you'll get more extra minutes that way. Here's a link to the Internet packages: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

Edited by Pam in CA

For those with services such as Comcast, Roadrunner, etc., you can easily use http://mail2web.com/ anywhere. You give your regular e-mail address such as myname@comcast.net and your password.

You can then read and respond to any messages or create new ones and it will appear to the receiver that you sent them from your regular e-mail address.

Try it from home before you leave to make sure it works with your provider.

Thank you! Connecting to Comcast is sometimes a nightmare and I have wondered why. I am not the brightest bulb (hopefully not the dimmest) when it comes to tech issues. By using my laptop I am able to log in, download email messages, log off and then read and compose before logging off to send? We are cruising again soon - I shall try this. I suppose all the info is online at the Princess. Thanks again!

Thank you! Connecting to Comcast is sometimes a nightmare and I have wondered why. I am not the brightest bulb (hopefully not the dimmest) when it comes to tech issues. By using my laptop I am able to log in' date=' download email messages, log off and then read and compose before logging off to send? We are cruising again soon - I shall try this. I suppose all the info is online at the Princess. Thanks again![/quote']

If you use mail2web, you will need to be connected to the Internet the entire time you are reading messages. You can always prepare responses offline using Word (or equivlent) and then sign on to paste reponses and send them.

If you use Outlook or equivalent, you can download, signoff, compose, sign on and then send.

If you use mail2web, you will need to be connected to the Internet the entire time you are reading messages. You can always prepare responses offline using Word (or equivlent) and then sign on to paste reponses and send them.

If you use Outlook or equivalent, you can download, signoff, compose, sign on and then send.

More thanks! I keep learning and guess if I keep cruising I will be a wise Elite.