Stateroom selection question.

amomof3kids

My fiancee and I are sailing on Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the seas in March. We originally booked an interior stateroom and will more than likely be on deck 3 or 4 because of how late we booked the trip. I have been looking at upgrading to either an ocean view, which would probably be the same decks, or a deluxe balcony stateroom which will be deck 7. One reason we are thinking about upgrading is because we are not sure about being on such a low deck and possibly feeling like the room is too small without a window (we know the rooms are small but wonder if they feel even smaller without the window) and another reason is we would like to have the view. I guess we are wondering if it is worth the additional cost for such a short cruise (5 days) or if we would even spend enough time in our room to enjoy the balcony. Opinions??? Thanks in advance:)

Personally, I won't sail in any less than a balcony! It would be like going to a beach resort and having a view of the parking garage! If I'm on a ship, I want the view of the ocean! We enjoy time on the balcony, even if we don't stay there all day, which we don't!

It just gives you that little extra space "to be"!

As others have said, it depends on personal preference. Are you the type of person who will be constantly 'on the go', only visiting your room to shower, change clothes, and sleep? Or, do you think you'll want a little quiet 'down time' at some point during the day? Will it bother you to wake up and not know if it's daylight yet? Do you get at all claustrophobic? Only you can decide.

You'll have a wonderful time whichever you choose, but I'd go with the balcony if you can afford it. We've only had an inside cabin once, and after experiencing a balcony, I could never go back. It's the sight of the sunrise over the ocean every morning and the sound and smell of the sea every night just before going to sleep that make me feel like I'm really on a cruise and not just in a hotel somewhere.

If you do choose the inside cabin, bring a small flashlight or one of those battery powered 'tea lights' that you can use as a nightlight - it's REALLY dark in there!

Thanks everyone for the input, I think we will go ahead and upgrade to a deluxe balcony stateroom. I can be a bit claustrophobic and being enclosed in a room without a view may not work very well for me! Even though we may not spend a ton of time in the room, being able to enjoy coffee in the morning on the balcony and the sounds and smell of the ocean at night would be yet another great experience. :D

We have been cruising for over 40 years and have stayed in inside cabins with bunk beds all the way to suites. We have enjoyed every cruise no matter what the category. I don't think category is the main factor in enjoyment You are! go and enjoy. Use any money you save with an inside for having more fun.

My own preference for our first cruise is to have a balcony cabin, but that's mainly due to having been in the Navy for 20-mumble years, where I *don't* get a window, or a cabin, for that matter. :)

That said, as in many things, your mileage may vary :)

The only time I spend in my cabin is when I'm getting dressed, getting washed, or asleep. The entire pen deck is my balcony. We once paid £100 for a balcony upgrade, but came home thinking it wasn't really worth it. Each to his own.

(If the inside cabin is the same size as the balcony cabin, you will have more floor space with the inside. That's because the bed will be pushed against the wall, there's no need to have clear space by the balcony door. The balcony cabin will be larger in the brochure, because balcony square footage is included.)

Thanks everyone for the input, I think we will go ahead and upgrade to a deluxe balcony stateroom. I can be a bit claustrophobic and being enclosed in a room without a view may not work very well for me! Even though we may not spend a ton of time in the room, being able to enjoy coffee in the morning on the balcony and the sounds and smell of the ocean at night would be yet another great experience. :D

I think you will be happy with your choice. I read all the time where people prefer inside cabins to save money and they are never in their cabin anyway. Yes, it does save money and there's a reason they don't stay in the cabin much, it's like being in a cave. The last time we had an inside cabin, my husband wanted to take a sledgehammer to the wall and knock a hole out.

We save all year to go on vacation, we're not about to scrimp on the cabin (although we've never splurged for a suite). That little piece of real estate is one of our favorite things about a cruise. We started cruising in 1998 and gradually converted to "balcony snobs". Now we won't go if we can't afford a balcony.

• 1 month later...
I think you will be happy with your choice. I read all the time where people prefer inside cabins to save money and they are never in their cabin anyway. Yes, it does save money and there's a reason they don't stay in the cabin much, it's like being in a cave. The last time we had an inside cabin, my husband wanted to take a sledgehammer to the wall and knock a hole out.

We save all year to go on vacation, we're not about to scrimp on the cabin (although we've never splurged for a suite). That little piece of real estate is one of our favorite things about a cruise. We started cruising in 1998 and gradually converted to "balcony snobs". Now we won't go if we can't afford a balcony.

sounds exactly like my hubby..we could cruise again in feb if hed settle for an interior or even an ocean view.. but hes a balcony snob.

however we love the balcony, but we dont have anything to compare it to

My personal motto, and not meant as an insult to anyone...

Interior is Inferior. :D

Truth is, I'm a bit claustrophobic, and I also don't like crowds, so a balcony provides an outdoor sanctuary for me that I can't get with a non-balcony cabin.