Question about which cruise to go on.....

Booman14

Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have been on a cruise and I find myself in need of some help from the professionals. :eek:

Here is my questions: We live in the South, so basically the only ports within driving distance is New Orleans and Galveston. My Wife, daughter(12) and myself are wanting to get away for Thanksgiving this year. Doesn't really matter where, we just want to go on a cruise. So out of the 4 choices, which cruise would you take, and why. (If price wasn't a factor.)

Carnival Dream out of New Orleans:

Serenade of the Sea out of New Orleans:

Navigator of the Sea out of Galveston:

Carnival Magic out of Galveston:

Thanks for your help...... :D

Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have been on a cruise and I find myself in need of some help from the professionals. :eek:

Here is my questions: We live in the South, so basically the only ports within driving distance is New Orleans and Galveston. My Wife, daughter(12) and myself are wanting to get away for Thanksgiving this year. Doesn't really matter where, we just want to go on a cruise. So out of the 4 choices, which cruise would you take, and why. (If price wasn't a factor.)

I would choose Serenade of the Seas. I have yet to cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship and will do so a week Sunday. I have researched them and am very taken with the Radiance class of ships which are truly beautiful ships. Sailing out of New Orleans is always great fun, especially if you combine your cruise with a night or two in the Big Easy.

Jonathan

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to add to your list, and say look at NCL Dawn out of New Orleans as well. I very much enjoyed my NCL cruises, and they're certainly would be plenty for your daughter to do on that ship.

Navigator is also currently in its refurbishment and will be newly enhanced then. Here is a link to a thread describing the ship and this process with quite a number of pictures. If all else were equal in your thought process, maybe this would make a difference as it might be interesting to experience the changes. RCI certainly would offer many activities for your daughter and your family.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968301

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I would love to go one the Navigator of the Sea out of Galveston; however after reading the reviews on this board, everyone says that the good of the larger ships does not out weight the bad. We almost booked the Navigator but was afraid the crowds would be too much. Does this seem to be the case on the Navigator?

I would love to go one the Navigator of the Sea out of Galveston; however after reading the reviews on this board, everyone says that the good of the larger ships does not out weight the bad. We almost booked the Navigator but was afraid the crowds would be too much. Does this seem to be the case on the Navigator?

We've sailed on the Navigator twice, once with seven kids. I didn't notice that it was especially crowded. We enjoyed the ship and the kids had an amazing time.

I honestly think all the ships mentioned would be fine, and NCL ships are good for kids too. My only caveat from either port is that there tends to be some very cool days at the beginning and end of the cruise--we probably won't sail out of Galveston/Houston again because at least 2 days of the 7 (and part of a third) were 50's and windy.

But I realize that you can easily drive to these ports, so of course that makes a big difference.

During Thanksgiving break there will be lots of kids no matter what ship you sail.

Hello Everyone,

Magic is my favorite Carnival ship - big without being overwhelming, friendly staff, lots to do. There will be plenty of kids over Thanksgiving and the activities for them are varied.

We sailed on the Navigator's sister ship, Mariner of the Seas, twice out of Galveston. We thought they were both fantastic!

You might enjoy looking at pictures to get an idea of what to expect on the ship as well as the shore excursions.

My wife made slide shows for her website. You can see them at the links below.

2012 Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruise

2011 Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruise

I think you will enjoy it. Give it a try!

Hello Everyone,

Have done four cruises on Voyager class ships, They have never felt crowded, I would pick Navigator as my first choice..happy cruising

Thank You so much for the pictures. My wife loved them. I think you have made our minds up for us. Incredible pictures.

Thanks for the compliments about my wife's pictures. She will be glad to hear that they helped someone choose a cruise!

Happy Cruising! It's a great way to travel.