Concerned about Veendam... Seeking opinions!

Don_In_AZ

It is appalling to me when people who chose to cruise on larger ships are compared to cattle.

:D Actually the only time I have felt like cattle has been on the S Class ships especially at debarkation :rolleyes: Never have had that problem on the larger ships of any line. Maybe those that only sail the small ships think it is the same on bigger ships yet in a larger magnitude.... where it really is just the opposite.

We were on the Veendam cruise to Hawaii from San Diego that returned on Feb. 8, 2014 (last week) I will be posting my review on this cruise when I am done with this post to you. Please read my review, once I finish it. I was very impressed with the crew – they were all hard workers, smiling, and seemed very happy. Therefore, I’d say service was very good. The food in the dining room, and Lido for breakfast and lunch was very good. The exceptions was the desserts – pretty bland. I did not smell diesel anywhere on the ship. The air conditioning and heating always worked just fine, but it was never really that hot outside, since Hawaii is around 75-80 degrees F this time of the year. There was some sort of “varnish” smell in a cabin down the hall, one evening. There were walkers and scooters on our cruise. However, I never felt that they were hard to maneuver around, or made me wait longer for an elevator. They said the average age on our cruise was 70. I did not mind this, and enjoyed hearing the life stories of many fellow cruisers. I agree – the French fries were great. I usually don’t eat them, but couldn’t resist these – like nothing I’d tasted before. As far as Dry Docks, I heard that after the Panama Canal sailing (which started on Feb. 8), they were going into dry dock, but for just 10 days. We were on the Main Deck, Cabin 611. I am glad we picked a cabin right in the middle of the ship, as they sea was rough most of the way to Hawaii. I think anyone who had a cabin to far forward or aft might have gotten a little sea-sick. I liked that we were midway between both elevators. We both ended up with colds after the cruise – there were a lot of people coughing on the ship.

..................... As far as Dry Docks, I heard that after the Panama Canal sailing (which started on Feb. 8), they were going into dry dock, but for just 10 days. .......................

VEDM is scheduled for dry-dock (standard maintenance) at Freeport, the Bahamas from 15-23 Apr 14

Edited by Copper10-8

:D Actually the only time I have felt like cattle has been on the S Class ships especially at debarkation :rolleyes: Never have had that problem on the larger ships of any line. Maybe those that only sail the small ships think it is the same on bigger ships yet in a larger magnitude.... where it really is just the opposite.

Our worst disembarkation ever was on the Nieuw Amsterdam, delays, packed, could barely get through - just a zoo - a two-three hour delay and now well managed at all.

sorry have been on the bigger ships (as you know) - Signature, Vistas and disembarkation is no worse on the smaller ships and usually a lot better than on the bigger ones.

The Signature disembarkation was the worst I have seen on any cruise line any time. Of course, that just matched the whole sailing experience ;)

Edited by kazu

Well to be honnest I don't know why some comments are problematic. A few years agoo we have been on ms Veendam between Buenos Aires and Valparaiso. We had a storm of 12 beaufort (yes 12 on the scale of 12) with 32 m high wavers between Falklands and Ushuaia. Impressive, we felt completely safe on this ship altough the circumstances. We had Captain Krombeen who was really perfect (Believe he is now nominated at Seatle office)

The year later we were on Statendam (Panama canal) and the service was and quality was similar.

On Veendam we had small airco problem leaving Buenos Aires. Within a very short time a technicien came and was immediately fixed.

................. We had Captain Krombeen who was really perfect (Believe he is now nominated at Seatle office)

You called it! Captain Henrik Krombeen is Director of Nautical Operations for HAL out of the Seattle office

I had that feeling we\hen disembarking the Zuiderdam at Ft. Lauderdale a few years b ack.