Suggested improvements for the dress code issues

jbond, just playing devil's advocate here with you. You've stated repeatedly that you could absolutely not care what others wear, that it makes no difference to you whatsoever. If that's the case, then why on earth would you switch to Princess if RCI eliminated their published formal nights? After all, you can have 7 formal nights in a row on RCI, even if they eliminate them. All you have to do is dress formally yourself - because you don't care how anyone else dresses! Formal night is of your own making, nothing anyone else does has anything to do with it! ;)

I agree with jbond. We enjoy spiffing up and have no problem if others don't but if they eliminate it altogether then it's done. Gone. You'd probably be the only one on the ship in a tux. Maybe he doesn't want to be that guy either.

I agree with jbond. We enjoy spiffing up and have no problem if others don't but if they eliminate it altogether then it's done. Gone. You'd probably be the only one on the ship in a tux. Maybe he doesn't want to be that guy either.

Sorry, but there's a logic problem there! Either you DO care if others dress up, or you DON'T care. If you DON'T care, as you've both been arguing repeatedly, then what difference does it make if you're the only one on the ship in a tux? If you'd both switch cruise lines just because RCI eliminated a formal night that you say should be completely optional anyway, then its obvious you DO care!

This is my first post on this board ... But my opinion is that in today's society people are continually showing acceptance to people and cultures that may not fit your personal values or norms .. That is just the way life is today.

So why would people be so concerned with what people want to wear to a dining room for dinner. As long as they are following accepted manners and are being respectful .. What would be the problem?

Just because you put a tux on or fancy dress does not make a difference to me .. Just be respectful .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it is a formal night and I do not feel like dressing up, I keep a low profile and stay out of the other peoples awesome experience as much as I can.

It is the polite thing to do for others. It is my choice. It is the way I was raised. My Mom & Dad taught me.

Remember, saying "I have the right to..." is often much different than doing the right thing.

Sorry, but there's a logic problem there! Either you DO care if others dress up, or you DON'T care. If you DON'T care, as you've both been arguing repeatedly, then what difference does it make if you're the only one on the ship in a tux? If you'd both switch cruise lines just because RCI eliminated a formal night that you say should be completely optional anyway, then its obvious you DO care!

You just don't get it, fortunately Big_G does.

I have a feeling you do understand, you just want to stir the pot. Formal nights are a theme night that I enjoy participating in, but I don't expect everyone to participate. With RCI scheduling the theme nights, it enhances the occasion, surely you can understand that being the only one in formal dress would deplete the ambiance. If you don't understand that logic, I think you have a big problem.

You just don't get it, fortunately Big_G does.

I have a feeling you do understand, you just want to stir the pot. Formal nights are a theme night that I enjoy participating in, but I don't expect everyone to participate. With RCI scheduling the theme nights, it enhances the occasion, surely you can understand that being the only one in formal dress would deplete the ambiance. If you don't understand that logic, I think you have a big problem.

I'm not going to spend the time to go back and look and quote you exactly, but I believe you're one who's previously stated that what others are wearing is of no importance to you, and does not affect your enjoyment of Formal Night at all. Now you say that "surely you can understand that being the only one in formal dress would deplete the ambiance."

Yes, I most certainly can understand that, that's part of the argument I've been making all along. People not being in formal dress on formal nights depletes the ambiance - we're in full agreement! But that doesn't jibe with "I don't care at all what others are wearing and it doesn't affect me at all." Either it does deplete the ambiance and therefore effect your enjoyment of formal night, or it does not - you simply can't have it both ways.

I don't think it is wrong to wear jeans and t-shirts on non formal nights, and I don't think I am in the minority.

Where did you come up with the idea that formal wear is jeans and t shirt?

We as a husband and wife of 57 years as well as friends we travel with really enjoy getting all dressed up . I understand that others like to dress casual but why do they want to spoil our fun by dressing the way they do? Just my comment but it must make them feel uncomfortable when others are dressed up and they are dressed so casual. I'm sure if you were on the Queen you would not be allowd to wear that on a formal night. But keep happy and dress the way you want. As for me and my household on formal night we will dress formal as the requirements state.

:)

Hey LetsGetWet, I have to say that I really admire how hard you're working to increase the amount of posts on your new account. Go get em!!

I think it would be easier to get Putin to agree to allow a gay pride parade at the Olympics than it is to get everyone to agree on what's appropriate attire at the MDR.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable.

Someone may have already made this point, but I have designer jeans that cost more than some of my formal gowns! Don't get me wrong...I am a Diamond member and I have always enjoyed dressing up for formal nights. But I know a lot of people in their 30's & 40's who wear designer jeans and tailored shirts with cuff links to work and look very stylish. I say live and let live (as long as you are making some effort to look presentable for your fellow diners)!

Someone may have already made this point, but I have designer jeans that cost more than some of my formal gowns! Don't get me wrong...I am a Diamond member and I have always enjoyed dressing up for formal nights. But I know a lot of people in their 30's & 40's who wear designer jeans and tailored shirts with cuff links to work and look very stylish. I say live and let live (as long as you are making some effort to look presentable for your fellow diners)!

Bravo!! Live and let live. Amen to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

wearing jeans and french cuff shirts with links for work unless you worked in the fashion side of the fashion industry or some of the arts would be strange.

Edited by Sherlock43031

I understand that others like to dress casual but why do they want to spoil our fun by dressing the way they do? Just my comment but it must make them feel uncomfortable when others are dressed up and they are dressed so casual. I'm sure if you were on the Queen you would not be allowd to wear that on a formal night. But keep happy and dress the way you want. As for me and my household on formal night we will dress formal as the requirements state.

:)

1. No one wants to spoil your fun.

2. It is apparent that people do not have hangups about dressing informally on formal night.

3. Cunard and RCI are two very different products and styles of vacation.

4. Formal dress is not a requirement, it is a suggestion.

jbond, just playing devil's advocate here with you. You've stated repeatedly that you could absolutely not care what others wear, that it makes no difference to you whatsoever. If that's the case, then why on earth would you switch to Princess if RCI eliminated their published formal nights? After all, you can have 7 formal nights in a row on RCI, even if they eliminate them. All you have to do is dress formally yourself - because you don't care how anyone else dresses! Formal night is of your own making, nothing anyone else does has anything to do with it! ;)

Actually I haven't repeatedly stated that I could absolutely not care what others wear and that it makes no difference to me whatsoever. In fact, I haven't even said that one time. Go back and check, I didn't start posting until page 6. The closest I've come is to state that I respect others right to choose how they dress, see post #232.

If RCI choose to eliminate formal nights and just have casual nights, out of respect to RCI and my fellow passengers, I would dress casually. To overdress and wear a tux on a suggested casual night would, I'm sure you agree, be disrespectful to both the cruise line and fellow passengers. Disrespect cuts both ways, underdress and overdress. I would therefore choose another line that better suits my options.

Well not surprisingly, we all seem to have the same entrenched positions.

For the sake of argument, a few points, then I'll (try) not to keep this going.

1. I just can't imagine not following a suggested dress code. I was taught always better to over-dress than underdress. It's seems strange to me that others wouldn't care.

2. It detracts from my experience both for aesthetic reasons. It's hard to explain why, just as I can't explain why I like the ambiance of the MDR with its decorations, etc. It just seems to clash to see a very casually dressed person in such an environment.

Having said that, it's important to note that I don't think it's a huge deal and it certainly doesn't detract from my experience a lot, just a little, and I don't lose any sleep over it.

On a 1 - 10 scale, with 10 being the ship sinks, and 1 being they ran out of smoked salmon on the buffet, I'd rate casually dressed people on formal night at about a 1.5.

Because it's relatively minor, and because in many years of these debates I've never changed anyone's mind, I'll wave the white flag of surrender on this one. I am half French after all. ;)

I find myself in basic agreement with your post. Surprised?

Point #1. I grew up in England in a much more rigid environment than we found when we arrived in California. So I'm more prone to following the suggested dress code. One thing that I have a problem with, is wearing a jacket without a tie. I just can't do it, I feel so incredibly uncomfortable. Others do it and look very smart, but it's not for me.

Point #2. For me, there's such a large number of people that are dressed formally/suits that I find no detraction from the dining experience. Maybe we've been fortunate, even the table wearing sweats on formal night didn't bother me, we were seated with great company and they more than enhanced the dining experience.

I think we are basically in agreement, both a little old fashioned in our views, no offense intended.

Point #2. For me, there's such a large number of people that are dressed formally/suits that I find no detraction from the dining experience.

This has been our experience as well. If there are those that aren't dressed up on formal night, I haven't noticed them.

Actually I haven't repeatedly stated that I could absolutely not care what others wear and that it makes no difference to me whatsoever. In fact, I haven't even said that one time. Go back and check, I didn't start posting until page 6. The closest I've come is to state that I respect others right to choose how they dress, see post #232.

If RCI choose to eliminate formal nights and just have casual nights, out of respect to RCI and my fellow passengers, I would dress casually. To overdress and wear a tux on a suggested casual night would, I'm sure you agree, be disrespectful to both the cruise line and fellow passengers. Disrespect cuts both ways, underdress and overdress. I would therefore choose another line that better suits my options.

I thought you were one of the ones who had made statements like that, either in this thread or the previous one. I didn't go back through both threads to double check though, so if I'm mistaken about you being among the several who had said that - my apologies.

Point taken also, that if RCI listed it as casual dress, you'd dress appropriately out of respect for RCI & fellow passengers. I can't disagree with that, because we do agree about the disrespectfulness of that!

Have a nice Sunday...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I've lived in Texas for a little over 35 years, and own a Stetson beaver western hat for winter & a straw for summer. I assure you that a gentleman understands that the hat comes off at the dinner table.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

A "gentleman" does. A slob moron doesn't!

Elvis

OK, I think I may have come across as thinking EVERYONE should be forced to wear tuxes for Formal Nights, and that's most certainly not the case.

As it stands now, there is obviously a very poorly enforced and unevenly enforced dress code which makes it pretty much a farce. Many have said that shorts, tee shirts and ball caps are not allowed - but I don't think that's actually stated anywhere in writing by RCI and many have seen others let in with that attire. All that's there is the suggested/requested attire, which on Formal Nights for men is either a tux or a dark suit & tie.

If I were Adam (I'm obviously not!) here's what I think I'd do:

• Keep the current requested/suggested dress code statements pretty much as is
  • Add - for Formal Nights - a "minimally acceptable" dress code and I'd suggest that that be slacks & collared dress shirt for men.
  • Add a list of items prohibited in the MDR any evening - shorts, jeans, t shirts, flip flops, ball caps.
  • Then actually ENFORCE the above uniformly!
  • (Suggested by someone else on Adam's blog) possibly offer a small incentive - a free drink or a free 5x7 photo per couple or similar - for everyone on Formal Night who's dressed according to the requested/suggested code. A carrot is better than a stick!

Thoughts? Reasonable?

RCI give away something free? Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

Elvis

People are on holiday and should be allowed to dress as such.

So something along the lines of smart dress for the dining room. Saying no to shorts is stupid. Shorts for me are comfortable. Maybe say something along the lines of smart shorts, not swimming trunks.

Lots of female teens like to wear shorts on an evening.

There are lots of other posher cruise lines to try, like regent, silver seas etc for those who love to dress up in tux suites and ball gowns.

I like the formal nights, but my DH will not go on any ship that requires long pants in the dining room. When he's on holiday and it's hot he likes to wear shorts and his polo shirt or short sleeved shirt to dinner.

People are on holiday and should be allowed to dress as such.

Dress "as such?" What's "as such?" As has been pointed out before, you want some kind of dress code too - no swimsuits, no underwear, etc - you're just drawing the line at a different point is all.

So something along the lines of smart dress for the dining room. Saying no to shorts is stupid. Shorts for me are comfortable. Maybe say something along the lines of smart shorts, not swimming trunks.

Then I guess RCI is "stupid" since they do say no to shorts - although its enforced unevenly. What are "smart shorts" and how would you define that? Board shorts are shorts, they're also swim trunks - are they "smart"?

Lots of female teens like to wear shorts on an evening.

Lots of female teens like to wear frayed cutoffs almost to their crotch. Your point?

There are lots of other posher cruise lines to try, like regent, silver seas etc for those who love to dress up in tux suites and ball gowns.

There are lots of other more relaxed cruise lines to try, like windstar etc for those who want to wear shorts and swimsuits most of the time.

I like the formal nights, but my DH will not go on any ship that requires long pants in the dining room. When he's on holiday and it's hot he likes to wear shorts and his polo shirt or short sleeved shirt to dinner.

Then you better not cruise on RCCL, because they do require long pants in the dining room - although again its unevenly enforced.

See, same arguments basically apply in both directions equally.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Haha! Truce, most definitely! Was kind of my point of trying to post something that seems reasonable, middle ground and maybe worthy of discussion! :)

#1, if you're going to have a dress code, enforce it - and the unevenness of that is just absurd at present!

You do realize you are asking Royal Caribbean International to enforce a rule consistently and evenly across all sailings on all ships and to disseminate the exact rule to all staff.

I agree with your sentiment, but I choose not to bet on felling that particular windmill.

You do realize you are asking Royal Caribbean International to enforce a rule consistently and evenly across all sailings on all ships and to disseminate the exact rule to all staff.

I agree with your sentiment, but I choose not to bet on felling that particular windmill.

Haha! I sure won't argue with you on that! :) Heck, I cruise with printouts of FAQs of several rules which ARE clearly spelled out on the website, just to make sure I don't get charged for stuff they shouldn't be charging me for! :cool:

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread but I think you'll find that most cruiselines that target the audience that Carnival, RCCI, Disney, NCL target are going the opposite direction of what you suggest. I have cruised Disney twice and plan on cruising on RCCI in 2015 and Disney has already changed their MDR dress code to allow shorts or jeans in the main dining rooms. I expect the other cruiselines will follow if they already haven't.

I personally like it. The only reason I bring pants on my caribbean cruises is to eat in the MDR. It seems kinda silly to me if I am just as comfortable in shorts. If other people want to dress up and get pictures that is awesome. We never buy the photos on the cruise because we have a friend that is a professional photographer and we get pictures in parks, by old buildings, whatever so we don't feel the need to get our photo on the ship. I would much rather have photos on the islands that show where we went.

We considered eating in the buffet because if me wanting to wear shorts but we have 3 kids and it is nice to be served. In the buffet we really don't get much time to eat because by the time we get the kids served and go back and get our food they are done and ready to leave. In the MDR we all eat at the same time.

I live in Austin TX and we have awesome restaurants. Every one of them is casual and I really enjoy eating out at sit down restaurants. Most restaurants in Austin allow shorts and they blow away the food quality of the MDR food.

I'll respect the dress code (is there one I haven't been able to find anything besides "recommended"?) and wear what we need to but I would prefer to wear shorts.