My (poor) experience with the Ultimate Package.

Iandidar

So this took me a while because I got sick on the last day and have been bed ridden since we got back (not noro).

We sailed in January 25, 2014 on Oasis of the Seas. I'd strongly suggest that anyone with a drink package print out the FAQ about how over priced items were handled, and maybe even get an addendum in writing about wine as I did.

I'm still feeling poor, so I'm just going to post the body of the email I sent to one of Adam Goldstein's staff:

We ended up having an issue with the manager of 150 Central Park on our last day at sea. His name is Mustafa Sen, though I may be misspelling that. This man seriously needs an attitude adjustment, and has no business working in any form of hospitality setting. As you know we had the Ultimate Package for drinks. We'd had other issues with it during the cruise which I'll summarize at the end, but Mustafa really made an issue out of it. As per your FAQ if a customer with a drink package orders a drink over the cap ($10) he should pay the difference in price. So....we ordered two martinis at 150, full price is $15, they should have billed at $5 each. Needless to say our waiter did not handle it that way, we did not want to cause a scene in the restaurant so we asked the greeter about it, who insisted that we step outside and speak with Mustafa, the manager. He flat refused to hear our side stating that 150 Central Park was an exception and that the rules did not apply to them. Rather than get into an argument I went to Guest Service and spoke with a very helpful young woman by the name of Keyonna Swaby. She agreed that the drinks should have billed at $5 and called Mustafa. He told her no, they should not, and that he would not be fixing it. So Keyonna called Mustafa's boss who's name I did not get. His boss called Mustafa, and he told HIS BOSS no, that all of us were wrong and that he would not fix it. Well the boss, Mustafa and Keyonna went back and forth for about 15 minutes with us standing at Guest Services, with Mustafa digging in his heals and flat refusing to believe his superior could be right and him wrong, an absolutely disgusting display of insubordination that would get anyone fired in any business I've ever worked in. In the end he still refused to accept that he was the one in the wrong, and he comped the entire price just to "resolve the issue", continuing to state that the drinks should bill at the full $15.00 each. I made it clear to Keyonna that I was more than willing to pay the $10, and felt I should, and left my tip to the waiter on as well. It may seem petty, but we paid over $900 for our drink package, and I feel we should get what we paid for, and what was guaranteed in writing. One poorly trained manager should not be able to make his own rules.

This was not my only issue as I mentioned earlier, but the others were resolved mostly quickly. As I stated I'll summarize.

Day 1 - our bartender in the main dining room stated that specialty coffees (cappuccino in this case) were not covered under the ultimate package, this was cleared up when I pushed back.

Day 3 - Giovani's Table refused to honor the price difference between a $14 glass of wine and the $12 package credit. I had to go back to my cabin and get the print out of an email from customer service specifically addressing glasses of wine over the $12 limit. They stated that the summary page was all the training they got and that this was the first they ever heard of it. They gathered no less than 5 managers to look at my email, including one that looked to be sailing staff as opposed to hotel staff based upon his uniform, he carried 3 bars of rank. I didn't get any names here as they all were across the restaurant, heads together over the email. In the end they did honor the price difference at Giovani's.

Edited by Iandidar
Added sail date

Would definitely like to hear what you hear back in response to your letter.

I'd also love to get a copy of your email from customer service - sounds like it's a good idea to have that in your possession!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Ask and ye shall receive:

Thank you for your email.

We cannot apologize enough for the extended delay in our response. More customers than ever before are choosing the convenience of email as their primary mode of communication. As a result, the turnaround time for responses has increased. Acknowledging that this level of service is unacceptable regardless of cause, we hope you will accept our apologies, and believe that this is not indicative of our normal operations. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please rest assured, the same rule applies to glasses of wine that cost over $12.00. Therefore, if you request a glass of wine that costs $14.00, you would be charged the difference of $2.00. We sincerely apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Thank you for being one of the 50 million guests we will have the pleasure of welcoming onboard! We are eager to show you the personalized Gold Anchor Standard service that keeps our guests loyal to Royal Caribbean International, and we look forward to sharing millions of wonderful memories to come.

Sincerely,

Helen Urban

Royal Caribbean Pre-Cruise Planning Desk 1-800-398-9819

Yikes I am glad you got it all figured out. Besides that how was 150 Central Park . I dont hear too many people posting reports on how the food was there. Its mainly chops or Givoannis table

We had a similar type event in December on the Independence. The staff member also decided to argue with me about the issue and I told him he needed to call his superior. The scenario: We were in the diamond lounge and my girlfriend ordered a Bud Light. We were given the response that Bud Light was not included as a free drink in the DL. I informed the server we both had drink packages and she should get her drink based on the fact that it was covered as part of our drink packages. I was again told that we could not have that. She could only order a Budweiser or one of several other included beers. In over 30 cruises, I have never had an employee argue with me. I was incredibly annoyed by his behavior. I am so sorry that I did not get his name. I should have reported his attitude problem. At my insistence, he eventually did call his supervisor and he was told to swipe her card and give her the Bud Light. He never did apologize for his behavior.

Paul

So basically you had no problem at any of the bars, just with a couple ill informed crew members.

Sounds more like a training issue than a package issue.

Glad it got worked out.

Oh..I absolutely agree it was a training issue. The fact it wasn't one isolated incident, but two of the three times that I ordered over the $10 cap, combined with several different bar tenders telling me that all the training they received was the summary sheet we can all see on the website, makes me classify it very serious training issue.

All said, we did have a good cruise, despite this and the other issues ($600 to replace a cell phone that ended up in the salt water, cracked crown on a tooth for another $400, and this crud of a cold I got near the end).

Would we sail RC again? I honestly don't know at this point. I've only pointed out the worst of the service, we had other issues. The general customer service seemed worse than Carnival. The food was worse (in our opinion, we know food is very subjective). The entertainment was MUCH MUCH better on RC. We won't make a decision on that front until it's a little more in the past, and we do have another Carnival cruise for my birthday (couldn't pass up a cheap cruise, over a holiday and birthday, leaving from our home town). A lot will depend on how much further they've fallen since our last cruise with them, we could already see things slipping then. If they'd continued to slide then RC may have them beat on service even with all these issues.

All in all I'm just annoyed at having to spend my "relaxing" vacation time dealing with poor customer service and poor training. And the guy at 150's attitude, especially to his boss was really the icing on the cake right at the end of the cruise.

To answer how was the food at 150, I'm not sure I can give a fair review of it, I was starting to get sick, although at that point I thought it was just the climate change as we got close to home, so my taste buds were off. I did enjoy it, they did a great job bringing out the sweetness in the carrot course. The beef 2 ways was both good and bad, the short rib was OMG good! The filet was tough....yes, a tough filet, not quite sure how you do that without overcooking it, which they did not do..it was cooked properly, just chewy as all could be. The other stand out was the desert, a chocolate gnash in a cookie crumb shell with cranberry ginger chutney and salted caramel. SOOOOO good, and not the sweet on top of sweet we get so much of.

The best dining by far was Chef's table. I can not stress enough how worth the money that was. We almost went back again but we wanted to give the MTD one more chance to be really good (it was average at best). We will DEFINITELY be signing up for that in advance if we ever come back for another RC cruise, and we'll give it a shot on Carnival as well if it's offered on our Thanksgiving cruise. Part of it was a good crowd at the table, but the food and wind parings were amazing...DO IT! Go reserve it NOW!!!!

where can I find this "in writing" showing you pay the difference versus the full price? I just scanned the website and the pdf's for the packages, but I couldn't find where this specific rule comes into play - I swear I saw it before, I just want to make sure I'm covered (like you) for my trip in March.

where can I find this "in writing" showing you pay the difference versus the full price? I just scanned the website and the pdf's for the packages, but I couldn't find where this specific rule comes into play - I swear I saw it before, I just want to make sure I'm covered (like you) for my trip in March.

This is from the FAQ's on the cruise lines website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5810

I have been trying to read up on the both drink packages in prep for a cruise on Grandeur in April. Similarly, it appears confusion exists like the OP had at, at least, the R-Bar when it comes to application of the packages; up charges vs not applicable. To the OP & others, to try and head off issues, would it be a good "process" of sorts to inquire before ordering drinks we know are above the $10/12 max and/or that might be considered "special"; at least in the first day or so of the cruise? Just trying to uncomplicate what seems to be more and more complicated each time I read something on the package. And, frankly, I plan on taking full advantage of the package and would rather not have to process complicated issues are a drink or three.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Thanks!

Yep, and therein lies the problem. That printed FAQ addresses the $12 cocktail vs. the $10 allowance, but does not address the $15 glass of wine, vs. the $12 allowance. They need to clearly spell out BOTH, and train their staff better!

Thanks for posting OP, always good to hear both the problem and the resolution. Sounds like you handled the situation as well as you possibly could.

Regarding this Mustafa Sen at 150 Central Park, I wouldn't worry too much about it... if he's speaking to his superiors like that I highly doubt he'll be there for long. Very strange though.

Thanks!

Yep, and therein lies the problem. That printed FAQ addresses the $12 cocktail vs. the $10 allowance, but does not address the $15 glass of wine, vs. the $12 allowance. They need to clearly spell out BOTH, and train their staff better!

They can't list every example.

What was your screen name before?

Hello Iandidar,

I am sorry you had a bad experience with the Ultimate Beverage Package. You should have been allowed to pay the $5 at 150. If the manager was being a jerk and you spoke with a helpful Guest Services Representative my next move would have been to ask for the Hotel Director. On my last cruise our stateroom attendant did not bring back a shirt in a timely fashion.

I spoke with someone at Guest Services and then spoke with the Hotel Director who was very nice and graciously refunded us for the entire laundry. I was only expecting a few dollars off. He said that another stateroom on our floor also had a delayed item too and that he would speak with the stateroom attendant and director to ensure this would not happen on future sailings.

If Royal truly wanted your business I don't know why they could have not removed the additional charge and give you some more OBC for your inconvenience. It sounds like Mustafa should not be working in his capacity especially at a Specialty Dining restaurant onboard.

On our last two cruises we dined at Chops twice and Portofinio's twice and enjoyed it very much. On our second visit at both places the kind Manager welcomed us back and gave us additional items without even asking. He took the time to see that we were enjoying ourselves and our waiter was so on top of everything.

I think you should write to Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com so his team is aware of the problem you had and they can make it easier for the Ultimate Beverage Package to be redeemed. Perhaps Mustafa was not trained well enough about how it works. Remember your the customer and you were cordial and the least Mustafa could have done was to politely handle this in a professional way.

If I were the manager on duty I would have stepped outside with you and asked what was wrong. I would have then taken ownership of the problem and given you something in addition such as buy one specialty dining meal and I would give the second one free or something along those lines.

I think you should continue to sail with Royal. On all cruises there are incidents that happen but that does not stop me from sailing on Royal. Perhaps you should dwell on the happy moments and not over a small charge. While you did spend a lot on the Ultimate Beverage Package I would reconsider purchasing it again. If you don't drink heavily you would do much better buying your beverages on a per beverage basis rather than a package.

While a package looks good in the short term in the long run it really can be a waste of money and you would feel guilty if you did not use it to its fullest. I admit I love an alcoholic /specialty beverage here and there but a package seems a bit too much for a cruise. The $900 I spend on a package would be another cruise for me.

I guess we have to weigh our priorities.

Please keep us posted on what is the outcome. I know Royal will handle this and exceed your expectations. Please give them another chance.

wow, I didn't even realize there is a $12 cap:confused::confused::confused: Are many drinks over $12?

Very few. Perhaps one in ten or twelve.

The 12.00 cap refers to glasses of wine, in which there are many that are over 12.00. The 10.00 cap refers to mixed drinks, in which there are not too many that exceed the cap. There are a few single malt scotches and cognacs that are well over 10 such as JW Blue as well as a couple of martinis and margaritas that are 10.25 and 10.50.

They can't list every example.

What was your screen name before?

As someone else clarified, it's not a matter of listing every example. There are two different caps - $10 for mixed drinks and $12 for wine by the glass. In both cases you're supposed to be able to just pay the difference for higher priced selections. The first case is clearly spelled out, the second is apparently much less clear to staff.

No previous screen name here - have lurked for a while, just recently joined.

We were with OP (great people - best table ever) at the Chef's table and spoke with them the last night.

We also suggested that it was bad training causing the problem. No excuse. By the time we knew they still had the issue it was the last night and too late to really help. I will say that on a ship this size, personalized assistance isn't easy to come by.

This was our 3rd time on Oasis and it's a totally different experience than the smaller ships. We've had issues in the past on her but already knowing people previously from other ships has come in handy. It will never be the the "family feel" of the smaller ships.

I wouldn't say the hotel director would be the one to see about the problem - I'd ask for the food and beverage manager. But good luck with this. I suspect asking for him would be met with a "not available". The other ships are doing a great job with their "officer visibility" ratings - not so much here. The F&B should know the drink package rules and make sure his bar managers all know. Who in turn should be sure that every single bartender knows the rules as soon as they join the ship - which means this should be re-enforced every single turnaround day. Obviously that's not happening.

RCI has a problem with their constant rule and policy changes. It's very difficult to keep up with. They began offering a drink package and then changed the requirements and added so many different versions of the package without getting everyone on board with it.

Poor managers who argue with the guests shouldn't be tolerated.

We were on Oasis with the E-coupons were rolled out - and they didn't work. The manager of the Solarium Bistro didn't argue with me about my coffee coupon that didn't show up. He dealt with it and just removed the charge. This is what Mustafa should have done. By the way, we ate there for both menus, had fabulous meals. It was the first week of the new menus and chef Michael Schwartz was on board personally overseeing the roll out.

We had an issue with the spa in August (big time rip off on time with my daughter) - and we had a concierge to deal with that beautifully.

The first manager we had in 150 Central Park last May was fabulous. OP knows him - it was Mladen who is now the wine steward at the Chef's Table. "You like that? Let's have more!" :) The cream rises to the top. Mladen will be opening up Quantum of the Seas.

Iandidar might want to try a refurbished Radiance (this means not Jewel of the Seas) class for a completely different experience in service and style - but still has multiple dining options.

Don't even ask me about the horrible IT (and manager who doesn't show his face) on this ship - unlike any of the other ships. That's another story.

Gina

As someone else clarified, it's not a matter of listing every example. There are two different caps - $10 for mixed drinks and $12 for wine by the glass. In both cases you're supposed to be able to just pay the difference for higher priced selections. The first case is clearly spelled out, the second is apparently much less clear to staff.

No previous screen name here - have lurked for a while, just recently joined.

Actually I had problems with both. To the staff none of it is spelled out as all they get is the summary. In Giovani's one of them went and took it off the wall and showed me exactly what they were provided...it's just this:

www.royalcaribbean blog.com/sites/default/files/one-time-use/unlimited-drink-packages_0.jpg

(drop the space between caribbean and blog.)

Seems to me they need to hire some competent programers (haha as if this is a revelation to anyone here!) and have this discount automatically applied when the card is swiped. Based on the drink, it rings in free if less than the specified amount, and subtracts the maximum for highe priced ones. How hard could that possibly be?? Then, the only time the person ringing things up would need to do something different is if that person is buying a drink for someone else. This just would not be that difficult to do.

Seems to me they need to hire some competent programers (haha as if this is a revelation to anyone here!) and have this discount automatically applied when the card is swiped. Based on the drink, it rings in free if less than the specified amount, and subtracts the maximum for highe priced ones. How hard could that possibly be?? Then, the only time the person ringing things up would need to do something different is if that person is buying a drink for someone else. This just would not be that difficult to do.

Amen. How hard could that be? However, given the inability of Royal to create a competent website, it might be beyond their IT department's abilities.

I'm trying to decide on which drink package to get on an upcoming Liberty of the seas cruise. What is considered the premier coffee. I read somewhere that Starbucks was not included and don't know if it's on the Liberty. Does anyone know?