RCCL cruiser going on 1st NCL cruise. Dazzle me with tips!

KarenRB

I've booked a last minute cruise in an Epic solo cabin to celebrate a personal milestone. I've taken about 16 cruises, all on Royal Caribbean.

I'd love to hear any tips or hints about NCL or the Epic.

Thanks!

Karen

Go with an open mind, try to experience the NCL/Epic as it is and try not to compare it too much to RCCL because some things (like dining) will be different from what you have used to. Also, even though you will be guided to go to the buffet for lunch, we always opt to eat lunch at the MDR (on Epic the midship one, Taste, is open) as it's so much more relaxed way to start the cruise.

Thanks for the tip about Taste. That's just the kind of thing I was looking for.

I'm not one of those people who always compares cruise lines and finds one coming up lacking. I'll leave that to my sister. :) I'm looking forward to something new.

Karen

Have not cruised solo before, but you have chosen wisely. NCL is my fav and I liked the EPIC a lot. I agree, skip the buffet and go to the MDR. Great water slide if you like that. On our Epic cruise it was very windy up there. I really liked the Cirque Dreams show. Best meal of the cruise. Ymmv. Go with an attitude that you will have a great time and you will. I also suggest you find the roll call for your cruise. You might find other like-minded cruisers to meet up with.

If you are doing a solo in one of the Studio cabins there are some tips:

- The studio cabins have a shared private living room. Usually very quiet most of the day. There is a setup there in the morning for breakfast (croissants muffins, juice, etc.). I find it is a nice quite place away from the crowds to start the day. There is also one of those fancy cappuccino machines. Good stuff.

- Happy hour in there when there is a bar tender. One of the cruise director staff member will show up and help organize dinner and make reservations for all the solo travelers that want to have dinner together.

- The studio have a nice compact layout. Lots of storage in those rooms.

- If you want to be in the sun, the H20 is at the back of the ship is the adult only area with the adult only pool and hot tub.

The studio cabins are really neat! As previous posters stated, go to the first night's Solo Cruiser Gathering (it will be in the Daily) its an ice breaker and you can get a feel how dining works with the solos.

Also....I bought a spa pass and it was wonderful.

The coffee machine in the 'Living Room' is the same one they have in the atrium cafe. EXCEPT the one in the living room has no charge!! You'll have to pay for a cup of joe in the atrium cafe.

Also there are snacks at around tea time, and cookies late at night. Cereals and small continental breakfast items in the morning.

Have a BLAST!!!

For some great ideas of what to expect on the ship, do a search for A Solo Fashionista's review of her trip on the Epic. I guarantee that if you take her attitude towards solo travel on board with you, you will have a fabulous time!

Definitely agree with this! Lara aka A Solo Fashionista did a fabulous review of her time on the Epic. She has done some other NCL cruises since then solo and also had a great time.

The coffee machine in the 'Living Room' is the same one they have in the atrium cafe. EXCEPT the one in the living room has no charge!! You'll have to pay for a cup of joe in the atrium cafe.

I love this machine. On my first cruise on the Jewel, they had them at the buffet!

Also there are snacks at around tea time, and cookies late at night. Cereals and small continental breakfast items in the morning.

They also keep some sandwiches and salads in a small refrigerator on the counter, nearly behind the bar.

I loved messing with the lighting scheme in my Studio. I set it to "daylight" during the day and the blue one at night.

Karen...you'll have fun. As "Sauer-Kraut" mentioned, the solo cabins are unique and comfy. Plus, the "living room" area for the solo cabins is a great place to grab a drink at night, coffee, a quick cookie, croissant, I even had a really good slice of pound cake one morning instead of going to the MDR or buffet for breakfast.

Entertainment is fantastic, best at sea. Food is good, there's plenty to do.

I do believe the initial sailings (which I was a part of) had some hiccups. But, from what I've heard, everything has been sorted out and are now going well on the ship.

Since you're coming from RCCL (which is good in its own right), the whoe Freestyle NCL vibe was much more to my liking than the MTD on the Allure. NCL just does it better.

Smooth sailing and have fun.

It's great you are trying to gather info before you go. Since you have been on big ships before, it is probably not a big deal but I always suggest that people look at the deck plans (on NCL website) before they get on a big ship. That way they have an idea about where things are and will not be overwhelmed.

Another suggestion: go see the bridge! It is a big room with windows, interesting facts, pictures, and is really amazing. It is open to public almost all days except 30 mins before docking and 30 mins. after departing the dock.

Enjoy!

Our cruise aboard Epic was truly fantastic. We had an aft-facing balcony, so I can't speak about the studios or cruising solo.

We spent a LOT of time at Spice H20. We even got the same table everyday, no matter what time of day, and also noticed the same people everyday at the surrounding tables. It was always easy to find a place to sit and relax. The wait staff could not have been more attentive, and we always cracked up when other wait staff would see us and quickly go find our guy, Gedde, to come take care of us. He was so great!

We loved all of the dining options, and had the best meals at Le Bistro, Moderno (don't miss it) and Taste. There was an Easter veal soup that was phenomenal.

We had a great time at the shows.. Legends had a Jimmy Buffett performer, so that was awesome for me! lol

Ice Bar, loved it (even though I'm from south Georgia)!

All in all, it was the best vacation I've ever taken!