Pregnant will be past 24 weeks

mrspeaks

I just found out I am pregnant. We have a cruise booked in July and I will be too far along to cruise. We have already paid the deposit and did not buy the carnival trip protection. What will Carnival do if we cancel do to this reason?

I just found out I am pregnant. We have a cruise booked in July and I will be too far along to cruise. We have already paid the deposit and did not buy the carnival trip protection. What will Carnival do if we cancel do to this reason?

They will follow their normal cancellation penalty procedure, they will not waive it.

You need to cancel through your booking agent. The details of your booking will be specific. You should get most if not all of your costs back. IF you have air involved, separate from the cruise purchase, there are cancelation fees usually involved. At this point you are going to have take what you get.

I was 26 weeks when we cruised with my dd. I talked at length with my ob who said the benefits of relaxing on a cruise. He said I was having a routine pregnancy and saw no reason not to go. As we found out I was pregnant the day after booking!!!

I was 26 weeks when we cruised with my dd. I talked at length with my ob who said the benefits of relaxing on a cruise. He said I was having a routine pregnancy and saw no reason not to go. As we found out I was pregnant the day after booking!!!

Carnival does not allow pregnancies past 24 weeks at the end of the cruise to board.

You have to send them a letter from OB stating how far along you are, but if you are A) Not showing yet, or B) have an OB that will fudge the number a little bit, you could most likely board anyway. BUT this may not be the best idea, the reason Carnival does not allow you to board is becuase they are not equipped to provide care if something goes wrong while at sea. So you should prolly just follow the policy and get what you can back and re-book for after the baby is born. Could be a good stress releiver then too!

How do they know she was past 24 weeks.. They don't have a ob on site

From Carnival FAQ: Pregnant women with an estimated gestational age of 24 completed weeks or less, on the day of disembarkation, must submit, prior to departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this policy, and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

If you cancel now you should get all of it back. If you click the cancel button on your booking page, it'll tell you your fee.... Which should be nothing. Still a long time before your cruise.... Shouldn't have a issue.

I would never try and sneak on a ship past 24 weeks. I believe you actually must show a note from your OB how far along you are (I could be wrong on this). Although, you may be having a uneventful pregnancy and all is going well does not mean the unexpected can't happen. I would never risk being out at sea and having an issue. Just my opinion though. You can check online how much it will cost you to cancel or just give Carnival a call. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by awinter

Congratulations!

If you didn't book one of Carnival's early saver fares:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/cancellation_policy.aspx

Early saver rules show here (about halfway down the page):

http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

How do they know she was past 24 weeks.. They don't have a ob on site

There was a AMISH -MENONIE couple on ship with us last MTH. She was very PG how they let her on don't ask. The beautiful baby girl that she carried on her hip most of the cruise sat very nice on her tummy she was that big. Maybe 24 weeks with triplets. I comented to the ol'man that she was awful big for 6mt's. Don't see how she got threw.

Cancel now while you can. My sister-in-law was 22 weeks and 6 days when we boarded the cruise for my wedding. Carnival requires a letter from your OB as a PP stated and they are strict about it. We had to fax a copy to Miami and they asked for it when she checked in.

It is in place for the safety of you and your child and you're not in penalty yet. While the ship's have a medical suite they do not have neonatal technology and an airlift can take several hours to get to you and several hours back to land.

Here's what your doctor didn't tell you, and which is why they have a 24 week cutoff. Up until 24 weeks, the baby is not considered viable. If for some reason you go on early labor prior to 24 weeks, you're considered to be having a miscarriage and its treated as such. After the 24th week, the baby is considered viable and, should you have complications or an early labor, everything is done to save the baby's life.

A cruise ship doesn't have a neonatal facility, which is why they won't allow women to sail past their 24 weeks. Bluntly said, if you'd happened to have any complication or gone into labor at your 26 weeks, there would've been very little that could've saved your baby's life.

You took a risk at your Doctor's advice and I get it. But, as we personally experienced, complications can happen very quickly even on the healthiest pregnancies. My wife went from healthy pregnancy to placental abruption, emergency C-section, and 10 days in the neonatal intensive care unit, all in a matter of hours. I'm glad we were 10 minutes from our hospital and not bouncing around on a cruise ship when that happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As others have stated, your cancellation fees will depend on how you booked and when you cancel. Since you already know you will be too far along to board the ship, cancel immediately so that you will lose as little as possible. Simple as that. Cruises will be around. Just book another one for after the baby is at least 6 months. Congratulations on your good news!

I agree with Tapi's reasoning. Here's the story of an acquaintance. The family was on vacation when the unthinkable happened -- his wife went into labor at 26 weeks. There is a happy ending because care for his wife and daughter was immediately available, but it took weeks and thousands of dollars to get them home.

http://www.carrollmagazine.com/articles/a-modern-miracle.html

I personally cruised at 22 weeks. While it doesn't seem that the risk would be any greater three or four weeks later, it's not about the chances of something happening; it's about the possible outcomes for the baby.

Thanks for the responses. My sister in law booked the cruise. I believe it was under some type of promotion, so I'm not sure which cancelation policy we will fall under. We aren't quite ready to tell our family, so I don't want to ask her about the cancelation yet. I completely understand the policy for cruising past 24 weeks and wouldn't take that risk.

Thanks for the responses. My sister in law booked the cruise. I believe it was under some type of promotion, so I'm not sure which cancelation policy we will fall under. We aren't quite ready to tell our family, so I don't want to ask her about the cancelation yet. I completely understand the policy for cruising past 24 weeks and wouldn't take that risk.

If she booked under a promotion, then it most likely wasn't early saver, so you will probably be refunded the full deposit. If it is a 6 night cruise or longer, you can cancel up until 75 days before the sailing date with no penalty. If it is a 3-5 night cruise you can cancel up until 60 days before the sailing date with no penalty.

Can you log into your reservation at Carnival? I know on my page, if I go to Manage, My Booking, and Billing there is a little link that I click on that tells me what the fee will be if I cancel now.

If you haven set up your account, you need the reservation number. You could probably get away with getting the info from your SIL without tipping her off to the pregnancy. I'd just play it off as being excited for the trip.

People might be able to get on without being questioned, but for me, risk aside (great explaination from Tapi), I would not want to go ahead and get there to be turned away.

Congrats on the pregnancy.

Edited by 1kaper

You have to send them a letter from OB stating how far along you are, but if you are A) Not showing yet, or B) have an OB that will fudge the number a little bit, you could most likely board anyway. BUT this may not be the best idea, the reason Carnival does not allow you to board is becuase they are not equipped to provide care if something goes wrong while at sea. So you should prolly just follow the policy and get what you can back and re-book for after the baby is born. Could be a good stress releiver then too!

Not attacking you personally BUT COME ON!!!

Could you imagine what would happen if you LIED about how far along you are?

FIRST you're breaking a rule that is there for a pretty damn good reason. at 24 weeks a fetus is typically viable, unless you don't have access to medical care. What in the heck would you do if you went into early labor? You can't get any drugs or anything to help you, and do you really want to either admit to the cruiseline that you lied (and probably opening yourself up to the costs of getting you off board to a hospital) and then have to go to a non-American hospital for care? I don't know about you, but if I'm in pre-term labor I'd like to be not in Mexico.

SECOND could you imagine the lawsuit you'd file if something happened to said unborn child? People would attack Carnival like it was their fault.

THIRD, why in the heck do you want to put YOURSELF or YOUR UNBORN BABY at risk?

Fourth,

are you really THAT selfish? come on. they have this 24-week thing for a reason. so skirting it for your own selfish desire to go on vacation is pretty pathetic. as a mother who had serious complications around the 24 week, and as a mother in general, you do what you can to protect your kid. that starts now.

so anyone advocating that anyone fudge or lie to go on a stupid vacation when the risks sure as heck don't outweigh the benefits is really pathetic and disgusting.

if you need a vacation that bad, go somewhere that's not going to put you in the middle of the ocean or in a developing country.

We know a young couple who booked a babymoon for last August as soon as they found out they were pregnant. The doctor wrote the obligatory letter stating that she had a normal pregnancy and was fit to travel and how far along she would be at embarkation. The week before they were to leave she went for her monthly check-up. They found she had placenta previa and had to cancel the cruise and she was put on bed rest until the baby was born just last month. They took third party insurance (Allianz) that covered pre-existing conditions. They got everything back, except for the insurance premium. The doctor's letter, written a few days before they booked, sealed the deal for them with the insurance company. Since she was fit to travel at the time of booking the insurance company paid up about 10 days after they filed all the required claim information.