Help deciding between Norwegian Pearl vs Holland ms Westerdam to Alaska via Seattle

Witchypoo89

I have received a few replies to an earlier post which was great but I am still at a loss. I can't decide which ship to take to Alaska. I have never cruised before and this site has been a life saver. I've learned so much but I have to ask is NCL really that bad and if so what about the Pearl? I like that its a newer ship and that it seems to have more activities geared toward a younger audience. The sushi bar nearly sold me and the bowling alley. Not to mention the week long spa pass you can buy to sit and relax and watch the scenery. But if I believe what I've read the food is terrible unless you want to pay for every meal. Is Holland really that much better? And I don't eat a lot so the cruise for me isn't about the food. What I want is a clean ship with fun activities and a little of a night life. I like to have fun every once in a while and boogie. I may be 43 but I am young at heart. Both cruises now offer free style dining but I don't really have a preference since I've not experienced either. But to get dressed up once would be fun. I've heard there is one dress up night on NCL but I've read most don't participate. As for the room we will be getting at least a mini suite but I don't think those suites compare to the suites on Holland. So let me ask if we go with Holland will there be a nightlife with people dancing to fun newer even the 80's dance music? Do they offer sushi? Do they have free hot tubs? I know NCL has the tubs. And I do like to tub when its cold. I know Holland has a pool that's covered but its not going to be warm when we go (going May 18th most likely) so I won't be swimming. So please consider what I'm after when responding. I know everyone has their favorite cruises but we are all different. I don't want to be bored. I also have read that Holland goes to bed early which tells me I am not going to find much of a dancing scene. NCL also has Karaoke which I enjoy once or twice a year. What about Holland? I've read more negative reviews on NCL then I have Holland and that scares me slightly. I don't want to regret my choice. The 2 are comparable in price but HAL seems to have better rates for a suite.

If you are replying and think I should go with HAL please tell me why in a way that sways me which would be it's not true that the ship goes to bed at 10pm. That there are lots of active activities and I will find a nightclub that pumps out 80's or earlier tunes to dance to. If you can list the sorts of activities or send me to a link that has everything there is to do on the ship perfect.

Thanks!

NCL will be more lively than Holland. Regardless of how much the want to believe, Holland attracts an older crowd. Our recent HAL cruise was boring because they seemed to roll up the carpet at 10. I also didn't care for HAL's public rooms----everything seems so dark and dreary. I know people like that look, but I'm not one for dark, narrow walkways and everything done in dark tones.

As for NCL, well, their food is not the greatest and service is suspect.

Btw, have you considered Princess or Celebrity? Princess wrote the book on Alaska cruises.

But if I believe what I've read the food is terrible unless you want to pay for every meal. Is Holland really that much better? And I don't eat a lot so the cruise for me isn't about the food. What I want is a clean ship with fun activities and a little of a night life.

Thanks!

The food on the Pearl was not terrible in my opinion!! The only thing we hated was the pizza. :rolleyes: I thought the buffet was busy, but the stations were good, especially the pasta station. If food is not high on your list anyway, i think you will be fine. Listen, you may not know until you get on the boat whether it is perfect for you or not. You don't seem like a particularly fussy person and so I suspect that you are going to make your own fun and find joy on any ship. Don't kill yourself by debating it to death. You're only going to regret it if you let the little things spoil it for you. If you like to dress up, dress up! Don't worry about the other folks. Idk, just my opinion.

For the week of August 16th, a balcony on HAL cost almost $500 more than NCL (Jewel). With NCL's Ultimate Dining Package ($119) per person, you could eat in a specialty restaurant each night of the cruise and still come out $250 ahead.

We've (husband and I, both your age) have done the Pearl to Alaska twice and wouldn't have changed a thing about either trip. Of all our cruises - we're soon to go on our 20th, and have been on several different lines - the Pearl Alaska trip ranks among our top 5.

I didn't see anything at all wrong with the food - I think we did specialty dining one night, the other nights we did the freestyle thing. There was ALWAYS something going on that both of us could enjoy - either together or he would do his thing and I'd do mine. The ship was clean and the staff was friendly. We did take formal attire for the dress up night. Some did, some didn't, but we're not the type of people to worry about what people we don't know wear to dinner.

I honestly believe, from reading your post, you'd LOVE NCL. It's a chill cruise line, you're on your own time, your own vacation, you can do as you please as well as take advantage of several things on the NCL agenda. I completely agree with Jen731 - a cruise, like life, is what you make it. I remember sweating my first cruise - I bought my now husband, then boyfriend a cruise to the Bahamas for Christmas. This site was a lifesaver. My next Christmas gift to him, in fact, was the first of our now two Pearl/Alaska cruises! We want to go again and take my parents and his mom. EVERYONE should experience Alaska at least once in their life. I'm more a hot weather person, but Bob wanted to go and I'm so glad we did. I could absolutely LIVE in Ketchikan.

We book our excursions independently (big shout out to Harv and Marv in Juneau for whale watching). BOTH our trips were the last week of May.

Edited by heyitsmejudy

I've been on both the Westerdam (this past summer) and the Pearl about 2011, both the Alaska sailing out of Seattle.

I've been to Alaska three times and judge the Pearl the best of the three. You hear people say that HAL and Princess do Alaska the best but that only means that they have been there the longest and hold a lot of "Glacier Bay" access. The Pearl gives you that. Skagway is my favorite port of the three in Alaska and I imagine the Pearl is going there again. Take the train or rent a car to the Yukon- it is really quite easy.

As far as the ships, I thought the Westerdam had a good mix of passenger ages but the dancing was very limited. I recall one evening seeing just one elderly couple dancing while everyone else sat. They had the Dancing with the Stars which is more of a spectator sport and was judged in a very silly way.

We had the absolute worst dining room service on the Westerdam of any cruise we have been on. I won't elaborate but we never knew who was our real server and they just seemed to run around and forget things. Not very polite either.

We did have a nice balcony on the Westerdam and had just an outside room on the Pearl, so apples and orange there. The pool on the Westerdam IS covered but the reality is that you are swimming with a bunch of 8-14 year olds, so that isn't much fun. They SAY there is an adult pool aft but kids were there too and brrr. There is no such thing as an adult only pool on a cruise ship unless the access is checked.

The Glacier Bay day was pretty identical on both ships so don't let anyone tell you differently unless you crave warm pea soup served on deck on HAL.

HAL seemed to be developing a habit of coming in late in Victoria that really limits any nice adventures in that city. I think truly, they are doing that to save $$$$ on fuel, which was born out in their data.

So, I would go with the Pearl if I was going again.

Princess and HAL are the two cruise lines who have done Alaska tours and cruises for the most years. They have the greatest amount of experience and best ties to tour operators etc seeing they have been there so long and brought so many ships/guests.

We have sailed Westerdam three cruises and she is a lovely ship with a good crew. We sailed her sister ship Oosterdam from Seattle June 2012 and it was outstanding. We loved our cruise there and I went 'under protest' :D as a 'favor' to my DH as I never expected to like much about it. I loved that cruise!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the great and helpful advice. I swear this site is worth its weight in gold. I actually went with the Pearl. We bought our trip yesterday and are headed out for the seas on May 18th. I was surprised to find the best rates on NCL directly. I even had to call and I found customer service very friendly. Of course I called in pre booked so they better be friendly or no one would book with them. Was trying to get a particular room but boy being on the very back really does cost more! I cannot wait and I'm not worried about my choice. I know we are going to have the best time. My husband and I always have the best time so I don't know why I worried so much. I think because my friend really recommended the HAL. But she was with a huge group and that group is a party wherever they go. With just me and my husband going I wanted to be sure we'd have things to do so I really do think it was the bowling that sold me. I figured if a ship has bowling well that means its more of a fun active ship. That and the sushi bar. I am so glad to learn you can buy a week long food pass because that seems like a steal. We don't really do buffets so I planned on spending a lot on food. I'm going into this knowing its gonna cost but I get that cruises are trying to make a living so it's ok. We usually plan to spend a lot on vacations which is why we usually only do one a year. I'm glad we waited until nearly the last minute to book this because I can't imagine having to wait a whole year I am so excited! My sister-in-law is from Ketchikan so I can't wait to see that town.

I wish everyone the best and have fun on your next cruises. I am sure after this one we will want to do it again.

Great advice, KK! I checked the two sailings and the times are pretty much the same in the ports that they both go to. The BIG difference is the day in Sitka with the Westerdam or in Skagway on the Pearl. Having done both and now being to Skagway twice, there is no comparison. First, you need to tender at Sitka but it is a charming town with not much to do. We did enjoy the raptor center in Sitka. The day is relatively short in Sitka compared to the day in Skagway.

The Pearl spent a long day in Skagway which is my favorite port. The first time, we took a combo train and then van shuttle to the Yukon. Just majestic! We noted how good the roads were and that they were not heavily traveled, so we decided to rent a car on our second cruise and it was a very easy drive and lovely day. Either adventure is highly recommended. Skagway also seemed to have good prices for shopping and we purchased some clothing there.

Most cruise critic readers tend to NOT go with tours from the cruise ships because they receive so much valuable info from this board. So, it matters not if some cruise ship company has strong ties to some locals. For example, whale watching in Juneau is perhaps their most popular excursion and the smaller boats that take you out (Orca, Harv and Marv, etc.) are private and people rave about them (we do too!).

Some people are very loyal to their cruise line and receive some nice benefits if they stay loyal. We prefer to look at all the details and costs and are very open to trying new lines. Celebrity will be our next cruise. HAL has some very loyal cruisers. We would try them again if the trip was perfect and the price was right but they are at the bottom of our list.

I realize it is hard to discern what is really good advice from strangers, but Alaska is wonderful and this board has made so many of our cruises amazing and we are grateful to those who remain objective and have shared.

We must have been posting at the same time. Not sure what you mean by a food pass. The food in the main dining room and the buffet is included in your fare. You only pay for the specialty restaurants which you may want to do once just to see if you think there is a difference.

Let us know if you have any more questions. Be sure to spend LOTS of time on the Alaska board.

Good choice. One HAL cruise for me; 14N Caribbean. It was a floating nursing home with matching food.Not one passenger spoke to me in 14Ns.(am in my 70s). I am booked on NCL SUN Fall Alaska for Inner passage and Glacier Bay out of Vancouver. Try the alternative restaurants of NCL, especially liked Le Bistrou.

Someone said that for just over $100 you could buy a week long food pass to the specialty restaurants so you can go to any of them which sounds like quite the deal as I have a feeling I will be doing sushi a lot. Not sure if that's a specialty or included. I hear they also have a week long pass to the spa which sounds like a deal but if you don't go every single day would it be worth it? If they really do offer a one time fee for the specialty restaurants you can count me in on that for sure.

So glad you have your cruised book. You will love Alaska. Every turn is a photo op so have lots of batteries or your charger. You wont believe the views.

You may have already done so, but if you have not check out the Alaska cruise reviews. I think it is post 45. You can check out some of the Pearl reviews but look at the others as well as they will give you ideas for excursions etc. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879117&page=3

Have fun planning