Touring Rome the day you leave the ship?

Midnight Blue

My family will be on the NCL Jade in late October/early November on a cruise that starts in Venice and ends in Rome. We have three days in Rome before we go home -- Saturday, which is the day we leave the ship, as well as Sunday and Monday (we fly home on Tuesday).

In my perfect world, I'd like to use Rome in Limo on Saturday for a private tour (just me and my two family members) to see the city and then have the next two days to go back to areas we liked and explore them more fully. But of course, we'll have all of our luggage since we're leaving the Jade. I've come up with two possibilities, but don't know how workable they are -- your thoughts and alternatives are welcomed:

1. Disembark early, take a cab or car service to our hotel, have the hotel store our luggage. Rome in Limo would pick us up at our hotel for the tour. That would mean starting the tour.... when? 10:00 am? Would that work?

2. Rome in Limo picks us up at the Jade and.... what? Puts our luggage in the trunk of the touring car for the duration of the tour and then drops us and our luggage at our hotel at the end of the tour? Is that even an option?

Thank you in advance for your help.

It's certainly possible to have the luggage in the car as you tour, and that makes the most sense. The driver isn't allowed to accompany you to any of the sites so there will always be someone with your things.

I think it's overkill to have a car service for your other days in Rome. You'll have had the overview on the first day, after that you can get around on foot and pay for tours where you feel you need/want them. You are already looking at about $1,000 for the post-cruise package (pick up from Civitavecchia, transfer to Rome with tour, plus transfer from Rome to the airport).

Edited by euro cruiser

It's certainly possible to have the luggage in the car as you tour, and that makes the most sense. The driver isn't allowed to accompany you to any of the sites so there will always be someone with your things.

I think it's overkill to have a car service for your other days in Rome. You'll have had the overview on the first day, after that you can get around on foot and pay for tours where you feel you need/want them. You are already looking at about $1,000 for the post-cruise package (pick up from Civitavecchia, transfer to Rome with tour, plus transfer from Rome to the airport).

Agree with EC. Book at a centrally located hotel and walk or take subway to the sights. Rome is easy to navigate (with a map of course) on foot. We are doing something similar for our post-cruise overnight in Rome. Car service to pick us up at port and drive to hotel (and Airport the next day). We don't want to fuss with luggage and getting to the train station.

Thanks, all. Just to be clear, I never intended to have car service the other days we'll be in Rome. I just wanted to be sure that for the one day we'd be doing a formal tour, Rome in Limo could accommodate picking us and our luggage up from the cruise port and then when the tour was complete, taking us and our luggage to our hotel (as opposed to requiring that we be picked up and dropped off at the same place, or not being willing to have our luggage along for the ride on the tour).

• 2 weeks later...

We booked this exact concept with Rome Cabs. Pick up at ship, take us to our choice of sites, drop off at hotel around 1 for check in. We booked a half day tour but full day is also available, just more expensive.

They have been very responsive and easy to work with so far, check their website for the post cruise package. We also booked them for transportation back to the airport after our stay in Rome and were offered a small discount.

My family will be on the NCL Jade in late October/early November on a cruise that starts in Venice and ends in Rome. We have three days in Rome before we go home -- Saturday, which is the day we leave the ship, as well as Sunday and Monday (we fly home on Tuesday).

In my perfect world, I'd like to use Rome in Limo on Saturday for a private tour (just me and my two family members) to see the city and then have the next two days to go back to areas we liked and explore them more fully. But of course, we'll have all of our luggage since we're leaving the Jade. I've come up with two possibilities, but don't know how workable they are -- your thoughts and alternatives are welcomed:

1. Disembark early, take a cab or car service to our hotel, have the hotel store our luggage. Rome in Limo would pick us up at our hotel for the tour. That would mean starting the tour.... when? 10:00 am? Would that work?

2. Rome in Limo picks us up at the Jade and.... what? Puts our luggage in the trunk of the touring car for the duration of the tour and then drops us and our luggage at our hotel at the end of the tour? Is that even an option?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Just had a similar experience in Rome last oct/nov. Dont know if you have a hotel yet but if not i can suggest a real nice apartment you can get for 100 euros a night in a great location near Campo Di Fiori. We did all our own touring on foot as its easy to navigate central Rome. We had Romecabs take us right to the apartment from the ship and was in it by 10am. Spent the same amout of time as you have then they picked us up for return to the airport. Larry

When we went to Rome for the first time we had Rome In Limo pick up 6 of us at the port and take us on a great tour of Rome. Plenty of room in the car and a great driver. Saw many tourist areas and we were glad we did it in a car with a driver. We were able to park close to the attractions we were going to see which cut down on the walking. Since we were able to get to our car quickly we were able to see more places. Our driver got us our tickets which saved us from standing in line to get them. It also saved us from having to walk around the streets of Rome. I spend a lot of time in New York City walking around and I found Rome to be a little more difficult to maneuver around the streets. Our day we spent with RIL in Rome is still the best day we have had touring a city. We have used them a couple times since in other parts of Italy and can't wait to do it again.

Just had a similar experience in Rome last oct/nov. Dont know if you have a hotel yet but if not i can suggest a real nice apartment you can get for 100 euros a night in a great location near Campo Di Fiori. We did all our own touring on foot as its easy to navigate central Rome. We had Romecabs take us right to the apartment from the ship and was in it by 10am. Spent the same amout of time as you have then they picked us up for return to the airport. Larry

Would love the info for the apartment!!

It also saved us from having to walk around the streets of Rome. .

Makes me smile--this is our favorite thing to do!!:)

Gotta chime in here……

1. An apartment is a great idea especially when staying multiple nights. Lots cheaper than a hotel and you get more room, a kitchen for breakfast or snacks and a real "feel like a local" experience :)

2. Walking Rome is truly the best way to experience this magical wonderful city. Most sites are close together and many are on/in pedestrian only areas (i.e. Trevi fountain)

3. A "tour" in Rome such as a driver driving you around doesn't really give you the "lay of the land" as you are usually looking in 5 directions at once and not paying attention to which way you are going or the relevance of one place to another….. walking is just the opposite. And as posted before: a driver is just that - drives you around. For a guided tour for say the Vatican or Coliseum you must hire a licensed guide (car service can usually do that for you) at extra cost. We have done this too - on our first visit. But to be honest I don't remember a lot of what we learned from the guide and after multiple visits we enjoy visiting most places on our own.

4. There is so much more to the historic area of Rome than the main sites…. we have found so many neat things walking around. You turn a corner and BAM there is a neat fountain on a wall, or an excavation UNDER a modern building (sometimes encased in glass so you can see it) - and well, you get my point.

We always use a car service to get from the airport to hotel, hotel to cruise and reverse….. but to experience historic Rome - buy some comfy shoes, download a good map (there are tons online) and just wander…… it magical.

Gotta chime in here……

1. An apartment is a great idea especially when staying multiple nights. Lots cheaper than a hotel and you get more room, a kitchen for breakfast or snacks and a real "feel like a local" experience :)

2. Walking Rome is truly the best way to experience this magical wonderful city. Most sites are close together and many are on/in pedestrian only areas (i.e. Trevi fountain)

3. A "tour" in Rome such as a driver driving you around doesn't really give you the "lay of the land" as you are usually looking in 5 directions at once and not paying attention to which way you are going or the relevance of one place to another….. walking is just the opposite. And as posted before: a driver is just that - drives you around. For a guided tour for say the Vatican or Coliseum you must hire a licensed guide (car service can usually do that for you) at extra cost. We have done this too - on our first visit. But to be honest I don't remember a lot of what we learned from the guide and after multiple visits we enjoy visiting most places on our own.

4. There is so much more to the historic area of Rome than the main sites…. we have found so many neat things walking around. You turn a corner and BAM there is a neat fountain on a wall, or an excavation UNDER a modern building (sometimes encased in glass so you can see it) - and well, you get my point.

We always use a car service to get from the airport to hotel, hotel to cruise and reverse….. but to experience historic Rome - buy some comfy shoes, download a good map (there are tons online) and just wander…… it magical.

I couldnt have said it better. That is exactly why we got the apartment. We went to the market and shopped like a local for breakfast lunch type items and the wine i might say was dirt cheap and very good. Just like you said we found and explored places we never even knew existed. It was such a great time that we are going back again next year and will end our cruise in Rome and stay 3-4 days in the same place. It was over 500 sq ft and was just beautifully furnished. Only 2 blocks from the Campo Di Fiori.

Edited by softail