My review of Caribbean Princess February 1-8

curlybelle2

We were on the February 1-8 cruise on the Caribbean Princess. I haven't written reviews before but since I enjoy reading others, I thought I would share our experience.

This was the first time we went out of the port of Houston. The boarding was easy and efficient. The terminal was clean and new. But, the area around the port leaves a lot to be desired. There is nothing around but industrial. The weather was cold and foggy. We will most likely not go out of this post again if we can help it. We didn't leave until Sunday early afternoon because of the fog. This isn't Princess fault, just the weather of port Houston in February. The princess transfer was very easy, and well worth the money.

The Caribbean Princess was very clean but a little worn. The crew is cleaning all the time.it just needs a little face lift. The chairs in the Horizon Court were stained, and the carpet was as well. The crew was wonderful. They all were friendly and helpful. The crew was the best we have sailed with. Simone one of the cruise staff was fantastic.

The food was awesome. We ate in the Island dinning room every night. We all thought the food was very good. We even had a head waiter, Hector, sing during dinner. We loved it. Hector has a beautiful voice and it made the dining experience one to remember. We had a super waitress named Deyana from Bosnia. She was fantastic. She was warm,friendly and provided top notch service. Our head waiter, Mosies, was great as well. He was so much fun and made sure we had everything we needed. He was very helpful with our son's special diet. Both Deyana and Mosies went above and beyond with our service.

The ports were fine. We really enjoyed the Maya Ruins in Belize, also the fan boat excursion. We mainly went to the beach and walked around town. We just purchased a few items in town and relaxed.

The entertainment was good. We really enjoyed the piano player Seth. We did a lot of activities on the ship. Zumba was fun!! We enjoyed the horse race and bingo game. I now know how to fold fancy napkins! Watched the staff game, Who is telling the truth, or something like that. We did a little of everything. They had a nice variety of activity to choose from. The only negative thing to say about the entertainment was the production shows. They were good but not great. Princess needs to work on their production shows.

We had a wonderful time with great crew and friendly shipmates. We will be cruising again with Princess.

I hope this was a helpful review.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I also have sailed her before and doing so again in April. I want to do the Mayan Ruins in Belize, which one did you do? I'm leaning towards the Lamanai Tour. Jim

We went on the Altun Hu Mayan Ruins and City Drive with Princess. We chose that one because it was only 4.5 hours long. Princess does have a Scenic River cruise with the Altun Ruins excursion, which I heard was a very nice tour.

We had a great tour guide, and learned a lot about the history of the ruins. We were able to climb the ruins and had extra time to enjoy the site.

Enjoy your day in Belize.

Thank you for the review.:):):) It sure sounds like sailing out of Fort Lauderdale is much nicer. I know for us West Coasters it is nice to know that there is a Caribbean departure port within a few hours of flying. However, it seems like there are a lot of issues.:eek:

So nice to read some positive remarks:)

Hoping you can answer a few questions as we have not cruised in about 7 years.

Were the public areas extremely cold in temperature? I know our first several cruises I was always so cold in dining rooms and showrooms. It seems the last few cruises I didn't notice it being so cold.

Were the adult only pool areas monitored to keep children out?

Thanks so much~

Thank you for the review.:):):) It sure sounds like sailing out of Fort Lauderdale is much nicer. I know for us West Coasters it is nice to know that there is a Caribbean departure port within a few hours of flying. However, it seems like there are a lot of issues.:eek:

Good review :) We also really liked the CB and her staff.

We almost booked the CB out of this port but reading the threads on CC made us decide to book the Royal out of Fort Lauderdale. We live on the West Coast as well and it is tempting to think we wouldn't have to spend a day flying across the country but the foggy/bad weather what if's? of sailing out of Houston this time of year ??:eek:

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I also have sailed her before and doing so again in April. I want to do the Mayan Ruins in Belize, which one did you do? I'm leaning towards the Lamanai Tour. Jim

We did the Lamanai ruins tour in Belize a year or two ago and loved it! Yes, it was longer but included a river boat trip with monkeys and other wildlife, lunch, and of course the ruins. Lots to see and good ruins to climb! Well worth it!

So nice to read some positive remarks:)

Hoping you can answer a few questions as we have not cruised in about 7 years.

Were the public areas extremely cold in temperature? I know our first several cruises I was always so cold in dining rooms and showrooms. It seems the last few cruises I didn't notice it being so cold.

Were the adult only pool areas monitored to keep children out?

Thanks so much~

I didn't notice any of the areas being cold. I actually thought it was to warm in the dining room. I enjoyed the adult pool by the sanctuary, there were no children. Because of the time of year we had very few children on the cruise. I am sure close to spring break more families will be cruising.

We went on the Altun Hu Mayan Ruins and City Drive with Princess. We chose that one because it was only 4.5 hours long. Princess does have a Scenic River cruise with the Altun Ruins excursion, which I heard was a very nice tour.

We had a great tour guide, and learned a lot about the history of the ruins. We were able to climb the ruins and had extra time to enjoy the site.

Enjoy your day in Belize.

Thanks for the review. Was the tender provided by the tour or did you use the ship's tender to meet up with the guide?

We have not done anytime dining until this upcoming cruise. Is there always a long wait. Any hints on what time to get there ?

We really like anytime dining. We always had a table for four and never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes. We ate around 6:00ish, so we could make the 8:15 show. The princess theater fills up early, get there 30 minutes ahead of the shows.

Thanks for the review. Was the tender provided by the tour or did you use the ship's tender to meet up with the guide?

Princess had the tenders all set up for the passengers. They were large, and easy to get on and off from. It was a 15 minute tender ride to port.

Thanks for a nice review of the CB. We have not sailed her yet, but would like to in the future.:)

You didn't mention whether you came in a day early or not. Just wondering what hotels are around the port?

We came in on time on Saturday morning. There are no hotels around the port. The port is all by itself in a industrial area.

Thanks.:):)

Just wanted to jump in...we went to Houston and stayed a day late??JUST in case of fog delays. we stayed at comfort suites by the airport...flew in..shuttled to hotel and cruise day shuttled back to airport..only 5 mins and picked up the Princess cruise shuttle to the port and visa versa coming back. Hotel was fairly cheap..had breakfast bar and is being or has been remodeled. there are quite a few hotels near the airport.

We have not done anytime dining until this upcoming cruise. Is there always a long wait. Any hints on what time to get there ?

There can be 1800 passengers assigned to anytime, so that means 1800 passengers who decide what time each evening they would like to eat.

How many of these 1800 think the best time to eat is the same time you would like to eat will vary by cruise and even vary each evening.

Thanks for your review.

:confused:Can you tell me where you stayed (hotel) pre-cuise? I am looking for a hotel that might offer shuttles to the cruise post and (if possible) from Hobby airport.

Not aware of any that make the HOU-POHCT shuttle as it is a bit of a drive. Many of the name brand hotels have offerings by HOU and shuttle you to/from the airport-hotel.