That European outlet on the Noordam.....

alwaysfrantic

Which one of these shapes of adaptor a will I need to use the 2nd outlet? Here are pictures I found but I'm sure I can pick one up at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=24

And just pondering......why would they design cabins with no outlets at the bedside?

You want the "Continental" adaptor for the ship.

But if you travel at all, and may ever stay overnight in a British hotel, why not just buy both. I used the British adaptor somewhere else, but can't recall where exactly. New Zealand? Singapore? :confused:

They're not expensive---splurge!

You want the "Continental" adaptor for the ship.

But if you travel at all, and may ever stay overnight in a British hotel, why not just buy both. I used the British adaptor somewhere else, but can't recall where exactly. New Zealand? Singapore? :confused:

They're not expensive---splurge!

Very good advice....... as usual. :)

When we first started international travel, I purchased a set of about 4 or 5 adaptors and they have been well used. They are very moderately priced and available all over the place.

We used a universal adapter like this Rick Steves on the Noordam. Ours works almost all over the world plus it acts as a surge protector. I am not sure about the surge protection capability of the Rick Steves product. We used ours with our dual voltage 110/220 chargers to give us a second live plug on the desk.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=423

I seem to remember the Noordam has the two prong "continental" sockets. The ship was made in Italy.

We used a universal adapter like this Rick Steves on the Noordam. Ours works almost all over the world plus it acts as a surge protector. I am not sure about the surge protection capability of the Rick Steves product. We used ours with our dual voltage 110/220 chargers to give us a second live plug on the desk.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=423

I seem to remember the Noordam has the two prong "continental" sockets. The ship was made in Italy.

We have a couple of those from Rick Stevens and a number of assorted plug adaptors. We've only used the Continental adaptor but are hopeful some day we'll get to use some of the others.

I've never been on a cruise ship, some dozen plus across four different cruise lines, that didn't have both the US 110V and Continental 220V outlets.

Edited by Randyk47

You want the continental style. Target sells them as well in their travel/luggage aisle. The British adapter is bulky.

Keep in mind that these are mechanical adapters, not electrical adapters. No problem as long as your device can take 220/240 volts at 50 Hz. We used the Target adapter to create a second outlet on our last cruise.

igraf

Which one of these shapes of adaptor a will I need to use the 2nd outlet? Here are pictures I found but I'm sure I can pick one up at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=24

And just pondering......why would they design cabins with no outlets at the bedside?

We have a couple of those from Rick Stevens and a number of assorted plug adaptors. We've only used the Continental adaptor but are hopeful some day we'll get to use some of the others.

I've never been on a cruise ship, some dozen plus across four different cruise lines, that didn't have both the US 110V and Continental 220V outlets.

I think that's true of both QM2 and Queen Victoria. have US and UK outlets. Queen Elizabeth does have those plus a Continental 220.

Roy