Serenade OTS Picture Review. Western Caribbean 2/1-2/8/2014

Darkwolfe

Thanks for the tips! My wife was all excited to see NOLA, then we watched a show called Scam City(New Orleans) and a few friends/family telling the wife to be very safe there. Now she is worried.

I'm looking forward to it.

The best rule for NOLA is real simple. Stay with the crowds and keep a relatively sober brain. Do those things and you'll be fine.

The city has improved a good deal in the last couple of years, but you will see some areas that are quite worn down.

[Pet me! Seriously, they act like underwater cats. Going for food and attention. That's my step-mother learning up close that the rays are not scary creatures at all.

12520361915_1fc8a1b572_b.jpg

More stingrays to come!

Great photos! We always call them "slimy puppies" :D:):D I always enjoy your reviews.... And the animal photos!

Before I toss in a few more stingray photos I want to address something. Stingray reputation... It's almost as bad a sharks these days, mostly because of Steve Irwin's death by a stingray barb to the heart. I can't tell you how many times in the past few months I've talked about swimming with the rays and heard things like, "Those things are dangerous, killed that Australian fellow" "Aren't you afraid you'll get hurt? Stingrays are dangerous".. on and on.

Steve Irwin's death was a mistake and an accident. Irwin accidentally cornered a South Pacific ray while snorkeling off of Batt Reef down by Australia. The ray reacted as its instincts demanded when it was cornered and trapped. Irwin had the tragic bad luck of being in exactly the wrong place when the ray slapped the barb.

Stingrays are not aggressive creatures. Not even close. They don't want to use that barb at all. It's like yanking out a fingernail on a large scale. That's a pretty big ouch all things considered. The most aggressive behavior we saw from the rays in Grand Caymen was a bump (and occasional goosing) from a ray trying to get attention for food. Well, I suppose we could count climbing onto people's arms as aggressive, but still not really different from your cat jumping into your lap.

Throw any misconceptions you have about rays out the window and if opportunity strikes, go get in the water with them. You'll learn a few things about these critters and probably find yourself quite surprised.

(Rant complete. Thank you for your attention. Back to pictures!)

Rays Everywhere

12515675143_a091de67e9_b.jpg

Yet another ray swimming by

12516015164_9d7fdb9079_b.jpg

A few other fish showed up looking for scraps

12516005444_25d0276381_b.jpg

A ray looking for some serious attention

12516118664_c3956a258a_b.jpg

Really loving your review and pics! I'm going on this cruise Mar 1st with family and friends from all over the US. Should be a blast! We did Radiance East Carib back in 2007, so I'm kind of familiar with this ship style. Looking forward to seeing everyone and having a great time. :)

Thanks Darkwolfe! Your photos are great and I had a browse through your other albums too. It's a great way to show the world to other people! I may even do my own album in June instead of my usual video. Thanks again and keep cruising!

You're soooo right! We were on the sailing before yours (the one with the electrical problems in one of the propulsion units) and several of our friends mentioned that he was the spitting image of Isaac.

We loved the Serenade, I'm glad to hear that y'all were only delayed by an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My apologies for the lack of additions to the review today. I had a nice, fat, maddening home theater installation to do in my living room and that pretty well trashed the day.

Will return to new posts Sunday or Monday at the worst. Thanks very much for all the positive comments and participation in the thread!

Would love to see the New Orleans episode of Scam City but it's not accessible. I hope I'm not being naive about going...just have to be careful I guess.

You're not. Just make sure you stick with whoever you are traveling with and don't wander off down any alleys after dark. It is very possible to have great time in and around the Quarter so long as you keep your wits about you and never admit to having any cash on your person at any time.

Edited by Darkwolfe

Alas, the day has dawned where Cozumel is once again in view. For the third time in a row, Cozumel has made an appearance as the last stop on a cruise. Not sure why Royal schedules it that way, but my PCD is starting to be tripped by seeing the lighthouse on the coast there.

In any case Cozumel is a good port stop. I make quips about it being the shopping mall of the Western Caribbean with more than a little truth behind the joke, but there's plenty to do there as well. Even after three visits, I am nowhere near wearing out the available activities that island.

Once again, Oasis is there as well. Docked right along side Serenade at International Pier.

Light port load that day as well. Only 13,000 and change (almost half just being Oasis' passenger manifest) for the crowds coming ashore. There's many days when Cozumel takes on 25,000 or more in just one day. Then things start looking a little bit nuts.

This visit got your basic variety bus tour. I typically avoid those, but every so often, you go with what's easy. So off to San Gervasio we went.

Our other company in Cozumel today

12534837995_11e21d6648_b.jpg

The most interesting Solarium design in the fleet

12534826365_ab9e97c14f_b.jpg

International Pier gets busy

12534803265_8ff45363e7_b.jpg

San Gervasio Ruins

12534767495_73372cd59c_b.jpg

Coming up- A bit more of San Gervasio, plus a rogue's gallery of the ruin's residents.

Ah it is time to clean up the hotel room and head for the port. What was the business with these strange texts showing up on the phones that said "boarding will be delayed"?? Seriously? Can't have that at all! Vacation must be PERFECT!! ;)

Well, text notifications or not, we couldn't hang out at the hotel much past 10am in any case. So we packed it up and headed over. We got to the port, just in time to watch Serenade make her stately way to the pier. At close to 10:30am....

An auspicious start to say the least. However, there's not all that much to do but make the best of it. So we plowed though the slow lines and finally found ourselves waiting just ahead of the check-in counters.

Then it happened. I realized with sudden shock and dismay that I had not updated my SetSail Pass since I changed our cabin over to 9588. EGADS!!! What horror! Had I doomed the trip with that one tiny oversight?

Thankfully, the tiny portion of my mind that retained sanity chose that moment to tell me that people changed cabins at the check in counter relatively commonly. Phew! Ok, drop the adrenaline level.. Bring the racing pulse back under the red line and get on with it. Got check in completed and headed out to wait for the boarding call.

By this point, Serenade had been unloading the last group of cruisers for a good bit. They must have rushed it hard, because word came down that boarding would take place at about 1:15pm or so. Sadly, there was a nice solid screw up during that process and someone who was calling C&A ranks to board, left out Emerald entirely. That didn't sit too well with several people, but it was an honest mistake from someone who probably never actually cruises.

And we are on the Serenade

That will be all until I upload some more pictures late tonight.

Soon to come: Sailing from New Orleans at night, a sea day or two, and happily wasting a day at the Port of Falmouth.

David, we were up front and the truth is no one ever called(over loud speaker) for boarding. There was a group of Vanguard people with free cruises. They were told their number would ge called "first"! But that was actually "after" a wedding party, Pinnacle and Diamond Plus passengers. They rushed to get in line and instead of the person calling for boarding telling everyone but Pinnacle and D+ to take a seat, she said " if you are standing okay"!:rolleyes: We stood beside a Pinnacle couple who kept shouting that they were Pinnacle and showing their gold card. Didn't matter. :mad: Worst boarding we've ever been involved in. People pushed and shoved, it was chaos. How it went down the line, I would gather just as poorly.

We did a b2b, because of cleaning, we were made to leave the ship and not reboard immediately. At this time, I went to a RCI employee we'd spoken to the previous week and b2b people were placed in a VIP room. Didn't make a lot of difference in our reboarding because the line from the big room rushed in as before and practically knocked us all down trying to beat us up the escalators.

Some b2b peope choose to take a FREE tour of NOLA, that RCI gave us and since we didn't take the tour I can only state we were told they got back on very quickly when they got back to the ship.

They were still spraying our hallway so we could only wait in the public areas just like all new boarders.:rolleyes:

Enjoyed your review -- we were on this same itinerary 1/18 and had a great time, and really loved all the changes brought by the refurb.

Respectfully, I would like to offer a word or two in defense of New Orleans and the Quarter. A native Louisianian, I lived in New Orleans for 11 years and then across the lake in Covington (and worked in the city) for another 3. New Orleans is one of those cities that has a strong identity all its own, and the French Quarter is a part of that. It can be (depending on the season and the time of day and where in the Quarter you find yourself) raucous or quiet, dignified or tawdry, but never boring or like anywhere else. As to Bourbon Street being "family friendly", no it's not, but then it never has laid claim to that. Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde, and the French Market would be better places for a family visit. As far as it being safe, using the same street smarts you would need in New York, Chicago, Dallas or Los Angeles will keep you safe in New Orleans.

And, of course, New Orleans has so much more than just the French Quarter to offer! And did we mention the food? :D

And, of course, New Orleans has so much more than just the French Quarter to offer! And did we mention the food? :D

Mmm, the food. I actually think my wife and I are looking forward more to the food in NO than the cruise itself. We've started cooking etoufe, BBQ shrimp and gumbo just to pass the time until we get down there much, much later this year.

Enjoyed your review -- we were on this same itinerary 1/18 and had a great time, and really loved all the changes brought by the refurb.

Respectfully, I would like to offer a word or two in defense of New Orleans and the Quarter. A native Louisianian, I lived in New Orleans for 11 years and then across the lake in Covington (and worked in the city) for another 3. New Orleans is one of those cities that has a strong identity all its own, and the French Quarter is a part of that. It can be (depending on the season and the time of day and where in the Quarter you find yourself) raucous or quiet, dignified or tawdry, but never boring or like anywhere else. As to Bourbon Street being "family friendly", no it's not, but then it never has laid claim to that. Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde, and the French Market would be better places for a family visit. As far as it being safe, using the same street smarts you would need in New York, Chicago, Dallas or Los Angeles will keep you safe in New Orleans.

Perfectly ok! I completely agree, that's why I have things worded like I do. My GF has a cousin that lives there as well. That was how we knew to go raid Cafe Du Monde for a late breakfast addition. I'd never heard of the place until then.

David, we were up front and the truth is no one ever called(over loud speaker) for boarding. There was a group of Vanguard people with free cruises. They were told their number would ge called "first"! But that was actually "after" a wedding party, Pinnacle and Diamond Plus passengers. They rushed to get in line and instead of the person calling for boarding telling everyone but Pinnacle and D+ to take a seat, she said " if you are standing okay"!:rolleyes: We stood beside a Pinnacle couple who kept shouting that they were Pinnacle and showing their gold card. Didn't matter. :mad: Worst boarding we've ever been involved in. People pushed and shoved, it was chaos. How it went down the line, I would gather just as poorly.

We did a b2b, because of cleaning, we were made to leave the ship and not reboard immediately. At this time, I went to a RCI employee we'd spoken to the previous week and b2b people were placed in a VIP room. Didn't make a lot of difference in our reboarding because the line from the big room rushed in as before and practically knocked us all down trying to beat us up the escalators.

Some b2b peope choose to take a FREE tour of NOLA, that RCI gave us and since we didn't take the tour I can only state we were told they got back on very quickly when they got back to the ship.

They were still spraying our hallway so we could only wait in the public areas just like all new boarders.:rolleyes:

Sounds like NOLA got confused and stayed that way. We were over near the passage way to the ship when they made that call, but then they never seemed to make another call after that. Rather a decent sized oops if you ask me.

Still even with a boarding headache, I'd still go back down there. Boarding can be annoying yes, but it won't make or break a cruise for me. At least so long as I can get on the ship!

I have a question about Giovanni's.

When they serve lunch in Giovanni's, what is the charge per person and is the menu the same as at dinner?

Thanks

Judy

Little Rock

The menu for lunch is different than dinner, and the charge is $15pp.

The San Gervasio ruins tour through the ship is your basic variety "bus tour". Load up a bunch of other folks in a bus and go drive off somewhere to gawk at the scenery a bit. They're simple ways to get a look at whatever area you are visiting.

Since on my previous visits to Cozumel I hadn't had a chance to do much island exploring, this got picked out as a way to get my folks out on a little more mild exploration and get a bit better look at the island myself.

So off we went to San Gervasio. Sadly, these ruins were trashed by a man that once owned the land the ruins are on. He decided to do some excavations of his own and didn't report the discovery of the ruins to the authorities as required. Problem was, his idea of archaeological excavations leaned heavily on the use of dynamite. The ruins got considerably more ruined before he was found out and stopped.

Some scenes around the ruins....

12535245924_3f8a8ca461_b.jpg

12534835433_e4b2189650_b.jpg

12534699995_3ebdf4fd10_b.jpg

12539896784_b4097d027a_b.jpg

You see the attitude perched on the stones in the last picture? He had friends...

Great review!

Question: for tendering in grand cayman, did they give out tender tickets? If so, that morning or day before? How busy was the tendering?

Also, what company did you use for the stingray trip?

Thx!

Tender tickets were not needed. It's a very short trip to shore and they were cycling fast.

We just did the Stingray City Sandbar Swim through the ship. The guys that did the tour were quite good.

Have you ever been to Tulum?

If so, how would you compare Tulum to San Gervasio?

I was thinking about doing this excursion just to get around the island, but having been to Tulum, I was wondering if you think it's worth it as far as ruins go.

Also, do they take you to the "requisite" bathroom stop which doubles as a shopping stop? (I hate that)

I noticed that Oasis shares two ports, along with a few other ships here and there.

Yikes! :eek:

That's just crazy~

Tell me it wasn't so bad............

Have you ever been to Tulum?

If so, how would you compare Tulum to San Gervasio?

I was thinking about doing this excursion just to get around the island, but having been to Tulum, I was wondering if you think it's worth it as far as ruins go.

Also, do they take you to the "requisite" bathroom stop which doubles as a shopping stop? (I hate that)

I noticed that Oasis shares two ports, along with a few other ships here and there.

Yikes! :eek:

That's just crazy~

Tell me it wasn't so bad............

San Gervasio ruins are right on the island of Cozumel. There is no comparison to Tulum, which are massive and historic ruins. There is a small gift shop at SG and bathrooms.

It is a time and travel issue. In my personal opinion, both Tulum and Chichen Itza deserve more time than you can spend on a cruise ship day tour. San Gervasio is a small example of Mayan ruins, and fits nicely into a cruise as a cruise ship day tour. IMO. :)

Edited by Coralc

San Gervasio ruins are right on the island of Cozumel. There is no comparison to Tulum, which are massive and historic ruins. There is a small gift shop at SG and bathrooms.

It is a time and travel issue. In my personal opinion, both Tulum and Chichen Itza deserve more time than you can spend on a cruise ship day tour. San Gervasio is a small example of Mayan ruins, and fits nicely into a cruise as a cruise ship day tour. IMO. :)

Thank you for the information. I sort of expected that.....

Yes, I saw Tulum in December, and wished we could have spent more time there. Due to the "requisite" bathroom stop, our time was cut a little shorter. This is why I asked about that.

I don't mind a gift shop AT the place itself, but I do dislike having to make a "comfort" stop along the way to "shop".

I would love to see Chichen Itza one day, but I do realize it is a longer trip on the mainland.

So SG seems like it would fit the bill for what I'm looking to do in Cozumel on this visit....short, not too expensive, and allows some time for other activities on the island.

Thanks again.:)