? TA Ft.L to Spain

Sea Belle

We are booked on the Noordam for the TA Ft. L to Spain in March. I assume we do not need a visa? Can we convert dollars to euros at the Main Desk? Do we dress in layers for weather conditions? Any other advice would be welcome since this is our first experience with a TA. :confused:

We are booked on the Noordam for the TA Ft. L to Spain in March. I assume we do not need a visa? Can we convert dollars to euros at the Main Desk? Do we dress in layers for weather conditions? Any other advice would be welcome since this is our first experience with a TA. :confused:

While you most likely can buy euros at the front desk you will get a better exchange rate from your home bank. If they don't stock euros they will order them in for you.

Our crossing to Spain was in April and the weather was quite pleasant. In March I would take sweaters to wear under a jacket. I would also want a toque at sea as the wind on deck can be quite cool on your ears.

We did not need any Visas for the trip.

Edited by sapper1

We are on that TA. Do not forget that you will be visiting Portugal before you hit Spain.

Visas depend upon your nationality and I can`t help you other than go to the Govt of Portugal and Govt of Spain web sites to see what you need.

As Canadian citizens, we do not need a visa for Portugal or Spain.

LOVE TA's - I wish you smooth seas. We've pretty much lucked out.

So, you are going to Europe early - the weather can be variable. take some layered clothing and you should be fine.the wat

Join your roll call if you haven't already and check out the activities they have planned.

With all those sea days book your PG lunches as soon as you get onboard - they are a gem

Relax and enjoy :D

Hi Sea Belle,

We've been on two other TA's in March/early April. The weather was very different each time. The first cruise the captain took a southerly route as the weather was bad on the planned north route. It was 80 and pleasant. Lots of sun time with shorts and swimsuits. The second time the captain took the northern route even with the rough weather. So it was high waves for a few days and a little chilly. But most afternoons there was enough sun to sit outside comfortably.

Are you aware that there is a roll call for this cruise? You are welcome to join:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1833102

If you're a US citizen you won't need a visa.

Is there a way to tell if we will be taking the southern or northern route? Thanks for all of your suggestions. :D

I am guessing weather will be a deciding factor. The captain will try to give you the most comfortable trip possible

I am guessing weather will be a deciding factor. The captain will try to give you the most comfortable trip possible

I want to chime in here with a hearty YES! We were on a ship crossing from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale. The captain announced that because there was a hurricane ahead of us, we were going to take a southernly route to avoid the nasty weather. The crossing was quite smooth, and we got to FL to find out we had followed the big one that hit the Eastern seaboard. Those from the NE states who flew out that day made it home; those who waited until the next day were stuck in FL for a few days. From here on I trust the captain to make good decisions.

Ginny

We are on that TA. Do not forget that you will be visiting Portugal before you hit Spain.

Visas depend upon your nationality and I can`t help you other than go to the Govt of Portugal and Govt of Spain web sites to see what you need.

As Canadian citizens, we do not need a visa for Portugal or Spain.

My highlight ^^^^

This is slightly misleading. The port of call before Spain is Ponta Delgada in the Azores which, although a Portuguese autonomous region, is not mainland Portugal it is about 850 miles away. It is like visiting Martinique and saying you are going to France.

Assuming you are a US citizen you will not need a visa unless you are staying for more than 90 days.

My highlight ^^^^

This is slightly misleading. The port of call before Spain is Ponta Delgada in the Azores which, although a Portuguese autonomous region, is not mainland Portugal it is about 850 miles away. It is like visiting Martinique and saying you are going to France.

Assuming you are a US citizen you will not need a visa unless you are staying for more than 90 days.

Desired effect achieved.

To get a visa for the Azores (if one was needed based on nationality), which is an autonomous region of Portugal, one would have to go to an Embassy of Portugal, one of its consulates, or through the services they provide.

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/azores

St.Martin is more like France than Martinique and both use the Euro.

Last year we had a storm about 200 kilometers behind us all the way from Ft. L to Lisbon. Ponta Delgada was skipped after numerous announcements by the Captain and a letter of apology along with a free glass of sparkling wine at dinner that night. The Captain did his best to stay away from the storm, but these things do happen at sea. A lot of passengers were complaining and being very vocal, but in the end, the Captain knows best and it's his ship. The last thing HAL wants is a damaged ship and docking would have possibly damaged the ship or put some crew at risk.

I'm not sure that a toque is necessary, but layers are a good idea.

My husband and I hope we get to Ponta Delgada this year. We have our documents now, so we are starting to get excited.

We completed the TA in the fall. No Visas necessary for any of your ports. We exchanged currencies on the ship and very surprisingly found HAL to be very competitive with on shore options. Every store we purchased from also took major credit cards, which is simple and safe.

Agree with everyone - layers works perfectly fine. Our sailing was 'glass' the whole way - but you never know!

Once you TA, you'll be in love with the easy pace of life on board for 7 days of no ports!

Edited by boze9999

One more question...how does one print their boarding passes for flight from Barcelona to Miami? Will the main desk do that for me or do I have to purchase minutes? Will the luggage transfer/boarding pass option be available? We have used that several times after Caribbean cruises.

One more question...how does one print their boarding passes for flight from Barcelona to Miami? Will the main desk do that for me or do I have to purchase minutes? Will the luggage transfer/boarding pass option be available? We have used that several times after Caribbean cruises.

You can go on line in the Computer Cyber Room and print your passes. There is a per minute usage charge or if you want to check your mail on a regular basis, you can purchase a package of minutes 50, 100 etc. at a discount.

The last day, or two, of the cruise, there has been a 15-minute and a 30-minute package offered at the same per minute rate as some of the larger packages. If this is still offered, a 15-minute package should be sufficient to check in and print a boarding pass.

Luggage Direct is not available from European ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SeaBelle, we are on the same cruise an I am so much looking forward to this.

Portugal and Spain are both "Euro-land" - you can get Euros fresh out of every ATM, either with a credit card or with your home bank/debit card as long as it has the "cirrus" symbol on its front or back. In general, that is a much better deal than paying the commission fee at your local bank.

I have another question to the forum though: who has been to Ponta Delgada, Cartagena and Malaga and any tips for self-organized excursions? We have been to Cadiz, and I remember it as a beautiful and walkable town. I have also read that there is public bus service to the caldera on the Azores, but I am not sure if the time we have in port is sufficient...

Any hints on Malaga and Cartagena are also more thanh welcome

Hi SeaBelle, we are on the same cruise an I am so much looking forward to this.

Portugal and Spain are both "Euro-land" - you can get Euros fresh out of every ATM, either with a credit card or with your home bank/debit card as long as it has the "cirrus" symbol on its front or back. In general, that is a much better deal than paying the commission fee at your local bank.

I have another question to the forum though: who has been to Ponta Delgada, Cartagena and Malaga and any tips for self-organized excursions? We have been to Cadiz, and I remember it as a beautiful and walkable town. I have also read that there is public bus service to the caldera on the Azores, but I am not sure if the time we have in port is sufficient...

Any hints on Malaga and Cartagena are also more thanh welcome

We also skipped the Azores on our TA due to a storm & went directly to Gibralter..You can find the answers to your port questions by going on the Ports of Call Boards..

As others have said layers are the best for TA's..,

Enjoy your TA we've done several & loved them all..