The Big 50/ Celebrity Equinox Review

lance32

Hello fellow CC members. I went on a Special 11 night cruise to celebrate the Big 50 on 12/30/13. Actual Birthday was July 14 th

Booking: As it was my big 50 members of my entourage suggested on stepping up to Celebrity this time. I had been on 6 cruises on Royal and loved this Cruiseline. We Booked way in advance to get the 123 Promotion, and we chose the Classic Liquor Package. After we boarded we did upgrade to premium Liquor Package for about 10$ daily. The advantage of this upgrade is that it allows most Drinks at Martini Bar. "WARNING' I will caution you that only aspect of this package which is big negative for me was Bartenders Attitude when they realized that they would not get automatic gratuity added to each drink purchased without package. In the past I found the Treatment by the Bar staff to be outstanding and First Class. I did not like the attitude and Third class service that i received when they saw I had Package. Note One Bartender from Denmark gave us great service forgot his name, he worked Pool Deck and other venues too. BUT!!! i must admit that we all got our moneys worth with package!!! My seapass account was very small, and under 300$$. In the Following days I will be writing extremely detailed Review from Pre trip to Post trip. Please feel free to post any questions about my Cruise on The Celebrity Equinox.:) Jon here btw

Just a matter of luck. Staff can vary from ship to ship. Some ships work. Some don't. Just off the Eclipse that had a fabulous staff. We prepay gratuities. Waiters and bar staff were excellent except in the Elite Sky lounge events. Elite event nightly was too crowded. Coupons would have been better options. Our cabin stewards were wonderful. They were very attentive. No request was too much. They were friendly and helpful. That is how it used to be before we prepaid gratuities. However, I have had terrible service on 2 previous cruises. Cabin stewards ignored us. We had to beg to get our cabin serviced. Some days it was after noon. We are early risers. One steward on the Infinity complained about having too many cabins. We were poorly treated until I complained about it. Then the housekeeper tried to get him to comply. Needless to say, that cruise was terrible. Fortunately, most ships are better. The Eclipse was outstanding. I would like consistency on all Celebrity ships. Hotel directors make a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had the package 3 times and never felt as if we were shunned. Many times the BTs even made comments that we were their best customers, and always gave great and fast service.

Sometimes the bars would be crowded and the BTs would see us and come to take our order and we would inform them that others may be ahead of us. Most times they would take our order or thank us for letting them know and come back ASAP. After a few times they knew us and didn't even ask for our card. I asked about it and was told that they know our name and just put it in the computer.

I have also seen some that will get a drink at a crowded bar, down it real fast and them sit there tapping their card on the bar while the BT is still trying to get to those that haven't been served. So at times it may seem as if the service is bad especially if the bar is busy.

🌅🚢🍸🍻

I found the Service bad and I was not always at a busy bar. I used to be a Bartender

and am very kind to those that work in the Service Industry. One day I met the Owners of a Very well known, and famous restaurant in NYC and he and his wife said that the service was bad too.:):):)

Edited by lance32

Hello Again,

Please excuse if this review is hard to follow its my first written review. Pre Trip: ISP/Long Island to FLL/Florida. Travelled same day due too work. Was a little nervous as I prefer to travel day in advance. ,was relieved that flight was on time. Took Cab with my Besties to Port. Taxi cost less then Go Shuttle , $20 for 3 of us. As you probably know very circular route to go next door to Port, Thanks to Road Designer. Boarded Quickly had Priority Boarding due to my status and friends status on Royal. my friend is Diamond and I Will be Diamond after my next cruise.

THE LOVE BOAT Greeting: We really enjoyed the Welcome aboard Greetings and Champagne. For me Champagne always adds a Sparkle to my Day. Rooms were ready by 1 pm.

Cabin: Was in 7249 Veranda Cabin. I found the cabin to be smaller than Royal especially with the Width of the Cabin. As we had 3 people I slept on Couch which was covered with mattress. In Future on Celebrity will get Junior or Sky Suite. I found that the cabin was perfect for 2 people but too tight for 3 people. I found Decor nice in cabin, and veranda smaller then on Royal. This was my First Cruise on Celebrity, and I have been on Freedom of sea, Liberty of the Seas, and the Serande. I discovered Cruising in 2007 and was on LOS maiden season. For the most part I liked Celebrity, but missed having the Promenade on Freedom Class. More to follow wiped out from Shovelling snow Please post any questions will try to answer. Hope Your not on East Coast, or South while reading this rough winter!. TBC Thanks from Jon:):):)

Well I should have taken a cue from the Weather on this cruise, that it was going to be a rough Winter in NY. This cruise the last sea day was not so nice, as opposed to my other cruises when that day was Beautiful. I mention my pool deck story as an aside to the Weather that we have had this Winter in NY. As I said yesterday please post any questions you have for me here and I will answer them for you. "The Ship" The Equinox is a stunning ship and already had had a dry dock. I found the cabins to be in Perfect shape, and the Interior of my cabin and ship was sparkling and new like a Car less then a year old. Not sure of launch date, and Drydock, but Ship is completely modern. I found the Martini Bar to be great not just for the Martinis, but because of the showmanship of the Bartenders pouring about six drinks at once perfectly. The Iced Bar top was a great way to keep your Drink Cold and crisp. Also the Molecular Bar was nicely decorated, and had a bar chef preparing the Drinks. I prefer old school Drinks as opposed to the cutting edge recipes, foams, and unique flavors of the drinks featured there. The Martini Bar made me a Perfect Cosmopolitan, and Sour Apple Martini. Even with the Drink card in these bars the Service level was excellent. I left extra tips in these two bars as I was treated very well, and the drinks tasted good.

"The Decor" I found the Decoration of the Equinox to be more posh then that of the RCI Freedom Class. I did prefer the 3 level dining room on The Freedom of the seas as opposed to the 2 level dining room on Celebrity. I do believe that each cruise line has both pluses and minuses. Will continue again and thanks for reading. lance32 aka Jon:)