Veranda/Aqua Class

Juicy2143

First off, this place is great - so much information. This is my first cruise, we are taking the Solistice in May to Alaska for 7 days. I have seen all sorts of opinions on this issue, but figured I would ask.

When I booked the cruise last week I ended up booking the Aqua Class because I read that midship was best in case of sea sickness (that may be an issue for my husband) and there weren't available midship in other classes with balcony. Now I see Veranda cabins available midship and the difference in price would be about $320.00 difference to cancel and rebook.

I am really confused and don't know if I am overthinking this whole room thing or not. This is a one time vacation for us. Do I just leave it alone or do I rebook the whole cruise?

Thanks in advance for any advice for this first timer.

For most people, the main advantage of booking Aqua Class is to have breakfast and dinner in Blu, the designated AQ restaurant. Instead of the larger and more impersonal MDR, you eat in a small, elegant restaurant where most feel the quality of both service and food is better. So, a lot of your decision revolves around how important this is to you. Most passengers love Blu but I have to say a few don't and prefer the MDR, while others like it but won't pay more (or much more) for the privilege. Remember that on S class ships, all balcony cabins are the same in terms of size and design.

Here is a link to some menus from Blu to give you an idea:

http://eclipse2011ta.webs.com/blumenus.htm

Edited by cynbar

Another thing you should consider is what is above your current room. There are Aqua class cabins that are not that desirable for some because you may have a gym or pool above you. Some people love Blu and others don't think it is worth the price difference. Look at your budget and the location of the Veranda rooms and then decide.

Another thing you should consider is what is above your current room. There are Aqua class cabins that are not that desirable for some because you may have a gym or pool above you. Some people love Blu and others don't think it is worth the price difference. Look at your budget and the location of the Veranda rooms and then decide.

How do I find out that information. They did tell me to call back closer to the final payment and they may be able to give me a more midship room. Currently it is A1-1562.

I was on the Reflection Christmas 2012 and our A1 stateroom was just steps away from the fitness room. NO noise issue whatsoever, and that lovely "spa" smell. Being close to the stairs was great too.

We loved Blu--also the bottled waters (we are not iced/flavored tea drinkers), and of course the unlimited access to the Persian Gardens.

We're A2 next month on the Solstice and counting the days!

For most people, the main advantage of booking Aqua Class is to have breakfast and dinner in Blu, the designated AQ restaurant. Instead of the larger and more impersonal MDR, you eat in a small, elegant restaurant where most feel the quality of both service and food is better. So, a lot of your decision revolves around how important this is to you. Most passengers love Blu but I have to say a few don't and prefer the MDR, while others like it but won't pay more (or much more) for the privilege. Remember that on S class ships, all balcony cabins are the same in terms of size and design.

Here is a link to some menus from Blu to give you an idea:

http://eclipse2011ta.webs.com/blumenus.htm

Thanks for the sample menus. I probably should have used a TA instead of trying to do this myself

Thanks for the sample menus. I probably should have used a TA instead of trying to do this myself

Don't worry. No matter what you do, you will have a great time. You can look at the on line deck plans and see where the cabin(s) are or call Celebrity and ask them. I really don't think there are wrong answers for you. There are good and better options is all. Have a fabulous cruise.

Ohiodoglover

I think you're doing fine --- coming here to cruise critic is a great way to ask questions and get the info you need to make an informed decision. Some TAs are wonderful but some don't really know that much, and can't be experts on every ship or cruise line. To see what is above and beyond, or close to your cabin, go to the Celebrity site. Find the link to your ship and then the link to Deck Plans. You can type in your cabin number and you'll see right where it is, then click on other decks to see what is above and below. Most people agree you don't really want to be below the pool deck or the buffet, or right above the theater, or right under the smoking section (I forget exactly where that is but someone else can chime in.) Good luck

It looks to me like you are on Deck 11, right under the pool. If so, I would think about changing--- lots of loungers moving around, music, running children, etc. The numbers are small on the cabins but that's what it seemed to me.

It depends on what you are after.

In AQ you will have more perks.

Foot stools on the balcony.

Better room service menu.

If you dont have a bev pack you may enjoy the following by having AQ , daily bottled water, welcome bottle of champaign, smoothies in Blu, in room carafe of flavored tea.

Free access to the Persian gardens that otherwise is $25/day pp.

Shower panel with multi sprays. Better room amenities, and gifts.

In the middle of the ship in AQ you will have a large overhang to protect from the elements.

Plus dining in Blu for breakfast and dinner that is a little more intimate than the MDR.

I would leave it as is and don't worry about unless you weren't comfortable with the price. If that is the case then take a ocean view and save more.

No matter what you choose it is your money and you will enjoy the cruise. We never had a suite and many will say that they would never sail without being in one. Others like a inside or really splurge with a penthouse suite. When you are out and about no one knows or treats you any different because of the cabin you are in.

🌴🚢🍸🍻

We have done 3 cruises in Aqua and many more in regular balcony cabins. They both have their pros and cons. But many of the AQ cabins on Solstice Class are directly under the pool deck, have a huge overhang blocking more then half the sky (and sun) on the balcony, etc. On the other hand, if you book a regular veranda you can choose a location well below that huge pool-deck overhang, save money, and use that saved money to eat several meals in the excellent alternative restaurants (generally far superior to Blu). We do like those small balcony foot stools in the AQ cabins, but it is not a deal-maker.

Hank

It looks to me like you are on Deck 11, right under the pool. If so, I would think about changing--- lots of loungers moving around, music, running children, etc. The numbers are small on the cabins but that's what it seemed to me.

We had one of these rooms on the Millie and it wasn't too bad. We are talking Alaska in May. You may not have too many folks sitting around an outside pool. The pool deck actually provided a pretty good overhang which allowed us to use our verandha even in the rain. Now it did block some of the view of the mountains.

IMHO the best place to watch your sail through the Inland Passage is in the Sky Observation Lounge.

It depends on what you are after.

In AQ you will have more perks.

Foot stools on the balcony.

Do all AQ cabins on all ships have the foot stools on the balcony? For some reason I feel like I haven't seen those on the Connie. Will find out for sure in 3 weeks and 1 day :)

Thanks so much for all the replies. I did look at the deck plans a little more closely and it looks like most of the penthouse deck is under the pool area. I am hoping to move a little more to the middle is something opens up, but that may not happen and I don't think that is going to matter. Seems strange they would put these type cabins right below where it is noisy.

I guess I am stressing a little since this is the first cruise and as I explore more on these boards I am finding out more and more information.

A couple more thoughts:

As others have said, if you would be the type to enjoy dining in a place like Blu, then AQ Class might be a good choice.

Another poster commented on the overhangs being a real plus on an Alaskan Cruise ..... that's a good point.

I might suggest that on an Alaska Cruise, where so much of the scenery can be viewed throughout your sea days cruising narrow passages, along the coast, close to mountains, lots of wildlife (birds, bears, whales, sea lions, etc) that places like the Persian Gardens and Relaxation room can be a BIG bonus to Aqua Class guests. Imagine relaxing in the Persian Garden just out of the steam room with large windows and great views or reading in the relaxation room while overlooking the bridge of the ship heading toward a glacier.

Do all AQ cabins on all ships have the foot stools on the balcony? For some reason I feel like I haven't seen those on the Connie. Will find out for sure in 3 weeks and 1 day :)

We sailed on the Constellation before the Soltilization in CC and there were no foot stools.

Sailed in AQ on the Summit twice, once on deck 9 and the other on 11 in the new cabins and there were no footstools. I don't think the balconies are deep enough for them.

Other than having the perk of dining in Blu I didn't see any advantage of AQ over CC on a M class. Didn't like the Persian Gardens on the M class as they are like a dungeon and don't have the heated tiled loungers, it is a bench like a church pew. The advantage of AQ and CC over a regular cabin is the size of the cabin on a M class. Would only take AQ if the price difference was worth what the value of Blu is to you.

🌅🚢🍸🍻

The Aqua class room will be wonderful - don't over think it too much. My DH and I were on the Solstice three years ago under the pool deck and never had a problem with noise. As others have stated the benefits to AQ are great, most notably the food in Blu and access to the Persian Gardens.

You will have a wonderful trip. Relax and start planning your excursions!