Exchanging currency at Guest Relations

FUN33

Would like to hear from any recent passengers who have exchanged Dollars for Euros or Euros for Dollars while on board a Celebrity cruise. Would appreciate it if you could post details of an actual transaction showing total Dollars paid and total Euros received or vice versa and the date of the actual transaction.

I am trying to determine the actual conversion rate - inclusive of all fees, surcharges and exchange rates when exchanging at the Guest Services desk.

I have always been under the impression the least expensive method of exchanging Dollars for Euros is to use a debit card at a European ATM - usually 1% and my Debit card rebates any ATM fees. I believe the Guest Services rate works out to 5% or more but the only way to confirm is to check the details an actual recent transaction.

I'm unable to give you the precise rate you seek. Frankly, it was the convenience of being able to get cash without taking time to find an ATM that I appreciated. The rate was of secondary factor.

I'm responding to also let you know that Guest Relations is not an inexhaustible source. During our most recent 14-night European sailing there were many times they ran out of currency.

CM

When getting Euro from an ATM with your debit card, you get the interbank rate for the day of transaction + whatever fees, if any, your bank charges. Some charge nothing.

I've never exchanged Euro back into dollars because I always keep some on hand for my next trip.

The ship's exchange rate to exchange dollars for Euro will be anywhere between 5-7% of what you can get it from the ATM's.

I know you are looking for specific data, but it can vary. For example, we took a TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. The ship had a specific rate they would exchange Dollars for Euro. That was pretty much based on the rate they purchased the Euro, plus their 5-7% commission. As we crossed the pond, the Dollar/Euro interbank rate fluxuated quite a bit, but the ship kept the same exchange rate throughout the 15-day TA.

When getting Euro from an ATM with your debit card, you get the interbank rate for the day of transaction + whatever fees, if any, your bank charges. Some charge nothing.

I've never exchanged Euro back into dollars because I always keep some on hand for my next trip.

The ship's exchange rate to exchange dollars for Euro will be anywhere between 5-7% of what you can get it from the ATM's.

I know you are looking for specific data, but it can vary. For example, we took a TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. The ship had a specific rate they would exchange Dollars for Euro. That was pretty much based on the rate they purchased the Euro, plus their 5-7% commission. As we crossed the pond, the Dollar/Euro interbank rate fluxuated quite a bit, but the ship kept the same exchange rate throughout the 15-day TA.

I spoke to Celebrity and their "official" position is their exchange rate is set at the beginning of each cruise and remains in effect for that entire cruise - then it is reset on each subsequent cruise. The person I spoke to refused to give me specifics about how many Euros I would receive for a specific number of dollars. The purpose of my original post remains to try to obtain a recent actual onboard transaction - that is the only way to calculate the actual on board rate from Guest Serivces.

While we don't have a recent onboard transaction to report, on the Equinox TA last April and subsequent Mediterranean cruise Guest Relations had a sign posted listing their exchange rates. The dollar to Euro exchange rate was abysmal and anyone who exchanged on board paid dearly for the "convenience." We have a credit card which has a zero foreign transaction fee, and also have had no problems using our ATMs while overseas. We would not consider exchanging while onboard.

May I ask what card gives you a zero transaction fee? Also, would it pay to exchange here in New York for Euros before we leave? Leaving on a TA in April and trying to figure this out.

Also, how hard is it to find ATM's in the ports?

Edited by Holly g

May I ask what card gives you a zero transaction fee? Also, would it pay to exchange here in New York for Euros before we leave? Leaving on a TA in April and trying to figure this out.

Fidelity's Debit Card rebates all ATM fees - but the fee must be shown on the ATM transaction (if the ATM you choose to use rolls the fee into the total transaction the fee would not be rebated).

ATM's are as easy to find in Europe as they are in the US. You will likely pay 5% or more to purchase Euros in the US prior to your trip. We travel to Europe frequently and always make sure we arrive back to the US with at least a few hundred Euro so we have what we need to start us on our next trip.

TD Bank has no ATM fees or foreign transaction/conversion fees. Also, European bank ATM's don't charge an ATM fee.

ATM's in Europe are almost on every corner -- they are all over the place.

We generally buy our foreign currency, Euros of whatever from ATMs in port, but occasionally, we have used the ATM onboard that X loads with Euros. The rate is not the best, but then you can get the currency you need if you are running low and might not see an ATM before you go on an excursion.

The ship's ATMs charge $6 service charge, which is high. My ATM card is from my credit union and doesn't charge.

We have a Capital One credit card and they do not charge an exchange fee for international transactions.

We have exchanged US money for Euros twice from Celebrity relations on board the ships and I don't remember a fee for it. They just gave us the current exchange rate on that day.

It is pretty easy to get a capital one credit card. Go for it.

We have 3 ATM cards...2 of which have absolutely no transaction fees. One of those cards even rebates any fees charged by the ATM owner. We have exchanged some money on HAL cruises (not Euros) and agree that they use a rate that is not nearly as good as we get through local ATMs. I should add that we also have 2 different credit cards that assess zero foreign exchange fees.

Those that enjoy paying various bank and credit card fees should have no concern since they make that decision when they decide to do business with their chosen financial institution. But be advised that there are other choices that can save you fees :)

Hank

We have exchanged US money for Euros twice from Celebrity relations on board the ships and I don't remember a fee for it. They just gave us the current exchange rate on that day.

They absolutely charge a fee; about 5% to 7%. The "rate on that day" is not the interbank rate, but the rate Celebrity sets and builds in a hefty profit margin. It is convenient if only in need of a small amount of currency, but if one needs a fair amount one saves a lot of money by using ATMs at port with an ATM card that has no fees. I have always easily found ATM machines in the European ports I have traveled to.