Handicap must PAY for priority boarding???

Sewkitty

My husband has only weight bearing on one leg and uses a walker. I called Carnival and they said unless we upgrade to a Suite we must pay $49.95 for some priority boarding package. What is wrong with this picture?? Has anyone else experienced this issue? What ever happened to accommodating the handicap?

If you asked for priority boarding then that is the answer, as for disability boarding they should provide wheelchair assisted boarding at no charge but you board at a regular time. Priority boarding is boarding earlier than other passengers. The person you asked may not have been clear on your question or the reason you asked.

I once asked TSA if there was a handicap line for security and was told "no", then they wouldn't even let me use the shorter line because I had already been "assigned" a line to use. Once through I spoke to supervisor and he said that the agent was correct in tell me there was no handicap or disability line, however, that he should have radioed to get me assistance verses waiting in the longer line. So the agent answered by question correctly just didn't have the forethought to understand the reason I was asking was because I needed assistance.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/guests-special-requirements.aspx

You might e-mail specialneeds@carnival.com to get more information.

Edited by Sarah@Sea

I got ate up on here suggesting they board the handicapped before ANYBODY! Hey I thought it was the right thing to do.. what package the sales rep was talking about is fttf... Its limited on every ship Good luck op..

PS i still believe Handicapped should go before Plats and diamonds.. or at least with them

I guess I don't understand why you feel you should board before others?

My father cannot walk and uses a scooter. I used a wheelchair on my last cruise. We both waited in the regular lines. I never expected to have priority boarding just because I was in a wheelchair. Being in a wheelchair doesn't make me unable to wait my turn in line. I know there are some sensory issues that some may have so being in a crowd can cause problems. Those people should be able to by pass the lines. Otherwise I see no reason why everyone can't wait like everyone else.

Not sure I understand why a person with a handicap would expect free priority boarding.

Then again, growing up with a mother who was handicapped, and if you ever attempted to give her a priority anything above someone else, she would threaten to kick sombodies butt. She was a person first. Her handicap or difficulties did not define who she was or how she was to be treated.

Interesting...I have always observed a Carnival rep (or the porter) outside of the terminal (where the porters are checking your bags) ;)quietly ;)asking the person in question, would they like assistance (that is basic ADA training, never assume)

The interaction is done in a very professional and low key manner..if they need assistance it is given and if they are given priority boarding, I've never heard a cruiser complain

For those that do think it's "unfair", what if the shoe was on the other foot

MIL had double knee replacements prior to our Celebrity Eclipse cruise and relied heavily on a cane. She set off the metal detectors (obviously). When she told them why, they assisted her directly to an open check in lady bypassing everyone. We were laughing because we were stuck in line. Granted, we waited a total of like 2 minutes before it was our turn, but it was a nice gesture on their part. They didn't have to, and it certainly wasn't expected. She waited for us to finish and we all walked up the gangway together.

Celebrity doesn't have boarding zones, just dedicated lines for their Concierge Class/Suites/Loyalty program, etc. the exception to that is if you get there before boarding begins. Could you imagine if they boarded all the handicapped/people with scooters first?! That would be a ton of people! I'm in no way making fun of or demeaning the handicapped. But come on, really?

I think it would be more of a hindrance to the general boarding population to do that. Do I think they should get a little assistance as in wheelchair service if they need it? Sure. Does that mean they should hold up the line for everyone else while the mad races with the wheelchairs and scooters try to run over the people with walkers commence? No way. Sorry but that's the way I feel. And when I'm old and need a scooter, I won't expect any special treatment. Just don't get in my way or I'll run you over :D

Edited by firemanbobswife

I guess I don't understand why you feel you should board before others?

My father cannot walk and uses a scooter. I used a wheelchair on my last cruise. We both waited in the regular lines. I never expected to have priority boarding just because I was in a wheelchair. Being in a wheelchair doesn't make me unable to wait my turn in line. I know there are some sensory issues that some may have so being in a crowd can cause problems. Those people should be able to by pass the lines. Otherwise I see no reason why everyone can't wait like everyone else.

My husband used a walker on our last cruise, and we would have been very content to wait in line; however, as soon as we were in sight of a person at the check-in desk, she motioned for us to come ahead of everyone. We were so impressed. Upon debarkation the cruise and port personnel were also very solicitous of his needs.

This was in Charleston.

Kathy

I seem to recall someone else saying a while back that the reason that they spread the handicap/special-needs clients out (i.e. make them go through with regular boarding groups generally) is that if they sent them ALL through as one group (whether before or after platinum/FTTF/or some other group) then it would slow things up going through security/getting into elevators/etc. Think (hypothetically) about having 50 people in wheelchairs, and their personal hand luggage, and a helper each, all waiting to use one or two elevators in the terminal, and holding up the next group until they had ALL been taken all the way through to the ship. I can see the logic of the cruise-lines and terminal operators doing this "spread" throughout the process to make things flow more smoothly.

I can't recall who said it but it was mentioned this year.

This is supposed to be funny.

My 2012 cruise on the Freedom, Port Everglades ramp to the ship was

kind of steep.

I was behind a couple, she was in a wheel chair, he was pushing.

Going was slow, if the gentleman slowed too much, I would be pushing

him and her like a left guard pushing a halfback on a goal line stop.

I seem to recall someone else saying a while back that the reason that they spread the handicap/special-needs clients out (i.e. make them go through with regular boarding groups generally) is that if they sent them ALL through as one group (whether before or after platinum/FTTF/or some other group) then it would slow things up going through security/getting into elevators/etc. Think (hypothetically) about having 50 people in wheelchairs, and their personal hand luggage, and a helper each, all waiting to use one or two elevators in the terminal, and holding up the next group until they had ALL been taken all the way through to the ship. I can see the logic of the cruise-lines and terminal operators doing this "spread" throughout the process to make things flow more smoothly.

I can't recall who said it but it was mentioned this year.

It would also be a staffing issue. How many people would be needed to help all of the handicapped at once vs. how many are needed to help out over the course of a 4 hour boarding.

My husband has only weight bearing on one leg and uses a walker. I called Carnival and they said unless we upgrade to a Suite we must pay $49.95 for some priority boarding package. What is wrong with this picture?? Has anyone else experienced this issue? What ever happened to accommodating the handicap?

I'm confused...why can he not sit in a chair and wait his turn like everyone else?

The program the phone rep was talking about is Faster to the Fun.

FTTF allows for priority boarding, debarking, the special line at Guest Services, priority tender, priority dining assignment (when assigned for the cruise), early access to your cabin and early luggage delivery. It's $49.95/cabin.

Pax needing assistance are help thru the line as needed. They will push you to where you need to go. If, when you arrive they are still giving out zone numbers you might or might not have to wait. Eventually someone will push you to the ship.

For debark the ship will state when and where WC and other pax need to be for debark. Some cruises they go in groups.

My husband used a walker on our last cruise, and we would have been very content to wait in line; however, as soon as we were in sight of a person at the check-in desk, she motioned for us to come ahead of everyone. We were so impressed. Upon debarkation the cruise and port personnel were also very solicitous of his needs.

This was in Charleston.

Kathy

This has also been my experience on a couple of cruises when having issues walking due to nerve damage and difficulty walking with a cane. It was never asked for or expected yet greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

On one of my Carnival cruises out of Miami, I was suffering from a lower back injury and was in terrible pain. I didn't ask to board early, I didn't even ask for a wheelchair. I just took my time. However, when we got on the ship there was a very long line to get into the ship. I merely asked the Carnival staffer if I could wait next to him until my family (who were at the end of the line at the time) got up to the front of the line and then I would go in with them because I didn't want to have to walk to the end of the line and then back to the front of the line again. The attendant asked me where in line were my family and when I told him he waived them up to the front of the line and let us in. I thought that was very, very kind. And when it came time for us to wait out in the heat for the safety session, I explained to one of the staff what I was going through and if I could just get a chair and sit down. The staffer kindly took me inside and let me sit out the rest of the boat drill on a sofa with some other handicapped people. I was very, very impressed with how I was treated on that cruise. It was on Triumph back when it sailed out of Miami for Puerto Rico. Even though I was in very bad pain for most of the cruise...because of how I was treated...it remains one of my favorite of all my cruises.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances...I don't believe most handicapped people or even people with children should be allowed to board before others. I have cruised with my child (now 18 and in college) since he was a very young kid and I never expected to be granted extra privileges just because I had a child and others didn't. This is just MHO.;)

Since I live in a house with a spouse using walking aids, I can answer this, but you might not like the answer. Being handicapped is unfortunate, but does not mean one should get special treatment. Plus, most of the special treatment is only perceived as special. Example. If you do arrive at the port early, you will get on early. However, you still need to walk from your seat up the ramp, and on the ship. Going in front of the line, does not change this process. It also does not help the process. The walk is still the same. So jumping to the front of the line, does not change the process. It also does not make it easier. Once on the ship, you still need to walk the ship. What happens then? Same issue happens at a mall. I always find it amusing how some complain of the lack of handicap parking spaces, but yet, are going to a mall where they are walking around. The space offers very little help for anyone that walks. Same thing at Disney. Handicap spaces at the beginning of each roll, but yet you are going to Disney and will be out all day. There is no entitlement for being handicap, especially, when there is no real benefit achieved.

You will have access to elevators etc if needed. However line jumping is not on the list. Sorry

This is supposed to be funny.

My 2012 cruise on the Freedom, Port Everglades ramp to the ship was

kind of steep.

I was behind a couple, she was in a wheel chair, he was pushing.

Going was slow, if the gentleman slowed too much, I would be pushing

him and her like a left guard pushing a halfback on a goal line stop.

In Baltimore, the wheelchairs don't have to take the ramp. The go in the "employee" entrance & take the elevator up instead.

I'm also having a hard time understanding why you expect priority boarding for free. Having a handicap does not mean that you get special treatment or get things for free that the rest of us have to pay for. It is my understanding that Carnival will provide a wheelchair if it is needed, but you will still need to wait in line with the rest of us. If you want to get on the ship early, arrive at the terminal early and you will get a low boarding zone number or pay the $50 for FTTF.

FWIW, my mother is in a wheelchair after having hip replacement surgery back in November, and we were literally rushed through the check-in process. We had no FTTF, but we were in a suite, so maybe that had something do with it? We arrived at the Port of Miami around noon or so and once we dropped our luggage off and as soon as they saw us entering the terminal, we were practically given the red-carpet treatment. I kid you not when I say were were on board the Breeze within 15 minutes from the time we exited to the taxi to settling in our cabin... I don't know if being in a suite and/or my mother being in a wheelchair had anything to do with this preferential treatment (nor do I expect it), but that was the FASTEST check-in I have ever experienced.

I think we need to tread carefully here. See not ALL handicap are the same.

I DO NOT expect priority boarding, however, it is greatly appreciated. See I and many others are not disabled due to old age, bad knees, sore backs, but due to illness.

We are sick.

My illness is progressive and things like heat will trigger an exacerbation. I do alot to ensure I avoid heat, cruise during the winter months, get to the ship before the long line starts, hell I have a cooling vest even, but I cannot predict everything and in those cases where my health is at risk, where I could potentially hold up the ENTIRE ship, then yes.."line cutting" "butting in line" "priority boarding" is GREATLY appreciated!

IF I am inside (such as IN the terminal) I am just as happy to wait in line as the next customer but when it is things like out in the heat..then I begin to worry.

It sucks being sick, it sucks needing a wheelchair, it just plain ole sucks.

So please dont pass judgement too quickly on the disabled.

I DO NOT expect priority boarding, however, it is greatly appreciated. See I and many others are not disabled due to old age, bad knees, sore backs, but due to illness.

We are sick.

My illness is progressive and things like heat will trigger an exacerbation. I do alot to ensure I avoid heat, cruise during the winter months, get to the ship before the long line starts, hell I have a cooling vest even, but I cannot predict everything and in those cases where my health is at risk, where I could potentially hold up the ENTIRE ship, then yes.."line cutting" "butting in line" "priority boarding" is GREATLY appreciated!

IF I am inside (such as IN the terminal) I am just as happy to wait in line as the next customer but when it is things like out in the heat..then I begin to worry.

I don't think anyone was passing judgement on disabled people. Just stating their opinion.

If there is anyone that can't or doesn't want to wait in line, there is another option. Don't get to the port first thing in the morning. Simple. When we went on the legend we got to port at around 1:30pm. No lines and no wait to board. It it were me and waiting in line or being in heat was going to cause problems I would show up later or purchase Fttf NOT hope or expect that someone will allow you to bypass the lines.

And not to be rude but being disabled due to an illness or disease isn't better or worse then being disabled due to old age, bad back etc.

Edited by BeachChik

Since I live in a house with a spouse using walking aids, I can answer this, but you might not like the answer. Being handicapped is unfortunate, but does not mean one should get special treatment. Plus, most of the special treatment is only perceived as special. Example. If you do arrive at the port early, you will get on early. However, you still need to walk from your seat up the ramp, and on the ship. Going in front of the line, does not change this process. It also does not help the process. The walk is still the same. So jumping to the front of the line, does not change the process. It also does not make it easier. Once on the ship, you still need to walk the ship. What happens then? Same issue happens at a mall. I always find it amusing how some complain of the lack of handicap parking spaces, but yet, are going to a mall where they are walking around. The space offers very little help for anyone that walks. Same thing at Disney. Handicap spaces at the beginning of each roll, but yet you are going to Disney and will be out all day. There is no entitlement for being handicap, especially, when there is no real benefit achieved.

You will have access to elevators etc if needed. However line jumping is not on the list. Sorry

I had a friend growing up who's father was wheelchair bound the handicap spaces don't only get you closer to the entrance they give more space between you and the vehicle next to you. The complaint of not enough handicap spaces could be fixed by putting additional spaces much further from the entrance to keep other cars from parking too close.

We are sick.

Very well said. I could not have said it better. Whether in a wheelchair, mobility scooter, walker, crutches or sick and cannot take being overheated, the Carnival staff will bring you to the Handicap Check in. On our last 5 cruises my wife, (who is on a Mobility Scooter due to Pre-Surgery and Post Surgery complications of Hip Replacement) were escorted to the Handicap Line (which was also the FTTF line) and nobody was there checking in, so we got served immediately. Then we were escorted to the Platinum boarding/FTTF people and boarded well before most of them. To answer the OP question, just show up at the terminal and you will be taken care of very well. You people who say "why should they go before anyone else" should walk in my shoes (taking care of my wife) or ride in my Wife's wheelchair or mobility scooter before they write negative comments about this subject. The same could be said about you being Rude to the Handicapped while on the cruise. I could write a book on it with just 42 days of cruising in the past 5 years. Enough Said. Flame me if you please....