May 17 San Fran to Alaska

Strenz

First time on Regatta, are the cabins with verandas in the 6000 's (6062) good, unobstructed views, nice size, etc.. Any inform would be helpful. Great itinerary for us, been on Windstar 9 times just love it, wondering about having a balcony, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

203748.jpg

Not too far from the Aft Elevator Lobby, which is where you'll want to be, because all of the Restaurants are at the back of the ship!

staterooms-3d-a1.jpg It's a nice sized cabin for a couple, and if you're coming from Windstar, you'll feel like you've rented the Taj Mahal.

r-veranda-cabin.jpgRegatta-Veranda-Stateroom2.jpg

I agree this is well located, aft near the elevators and one deck up from the Lounge for the stairs after the evening show.

Regatta-Veranda-Stateroom2.jpg

This picture is not of a Penthouse. I know butlers dress the table with a cloth but does Room Service?

Edited by YoHoHo

This picture is not of a Penthouse. I know butlers dress the table with a cloth but does Room Service?

It is staged for the brochure photo

Never had a table cloth from room service for breakfast ;)

Edited by LHT28

Thanks Lyn. In all our cruises we have only once had room service, though we always say *this* time we will. Does look a lot nicer with the table dressed than sitting on a tray. Okay, absolutely next time ...

Thanks Lyn. In all our cruises we have only once had room service, though we always say *this* time we will. Does look a lot nicer with the table dressed than sitting on a tray. Okay, absolutely next time ...

If eating the entire meal in your room sounds a bit too hermit-like; try having only the Appetizer or the Dessert sent to your Suite.

The best of both worlds....:p

Strange.

In a Concierge cabin, we always have a table set like this for breakfast...

8636871542_e2ce46da40_c.jpg

8647618227_48a0e866af_c.jpg

Maybe, because we are a celebrity? :cool:

Edited by computerworks

Strange.

In a Concierge cabin, we always have a table set like this for breakfast...

<snip>

Maybe, because we are a celebrity? :cool:

Interesting. This is a 'hot' breakfast and as has been discussed much, that is available to Concierge category and up so that could be 'special'. I wonder if you had ordered lunch or such if they would have set a table for you. It might have been also because it appears the table has been overlaid with a larger top. If that is true it might explain the table setting but hard to discern that for certain in your photos. But as I said I have only once ordered room service , for one, several years back so just curious what is normal non-butler service.

Edited by YoHoHo

Interesting. This is a 'hot' breakfast and as has been discussed much, that is available to Concierge category and up so that could be 'special'. I wonder if you had ordered lunch or such if they would have set a table for you. It might have been also because it appears the table has been overlaid with a larger top. If that is true it might explain the table setting but hard to discern that for certain in your photos. But as I said I have only once ordered room service , for one, several years back so just curious what is normal non-butler service.

I'm fairly certain he's a hefty tipper too. :rolleyes:

Interesting. This is a 'hot' breakfast and as has been discussed much, that is available to Concierge category and up so that could be 'special'..

No, first pic was for a Continental bkfast....

It might have been also because it appears the table has been overlaid with a larger top. .

No, that is the standard table in the cabin...without any topper.

I'm fairly certain he's a hefty tipper too. :rolleyes:

We do what's right. :p

Edited by computerworks

Hello YoHoHo,

We sailed with you July 2012 on Riviera and we were in a concierge cabin for that sailing. Any meal that we ordered through Room Service was similarly presented in our room complete with cloth and a lovely fresh flower. There was no table overlay since the tables in Riviera/Marina cabins are larger ovals than the smaller rounds on the R ships.

Even when we had a small inside on Marina this past September, we still had that large oval in the room taking up much precious space. We eventually moved it completely to the side by the closet so as to not trip over it. It would have been great to have one of the smaller rounds from the R ships in our Marina F Category room.

I cannot answer the question as to what breakfast presentation looks like in non-concierge/suite rooms because when we do not stay in a room with full breakfast, we just go to the GDR or Terrace. :p

First time on Regatta, are the cabins with verandas in the 6000 's (6062) good, unobstructed views, nice size, etc.. Any inform would be helpful. Great itinerary for us, been on Windstar 9 times just love it, wondering about having a balcony, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome Strenz,

So glad to see you are sailing with us on May 17. Our Roll call has been very quiet with just a few people posting at this point. Things should begin to pick up in the next month or so.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1930247

Would be very interested in hearing about your Windstar experiences. We have been in port with some Windstars several times and have taken quite a few photos of those lovely ships.

As to cabin size---the R ship cabins are noticeably smaller than the O ship cabins (Riviera/Marina). It appears to be about 25% smaller.

For the most part there is a tendency to think that balconies are somehow better. Well in some places that may be true, however in Alaska and up the coast that is not the case. In fact for Alaska I would choose an inside cabin for several reasons. One is comfort the route from SF north to Vancouver is some serious rough ocean and the inside will be more comfortable.

Second it will be light from around 3 am till 11 pm and if your a light sleeper this may cause you fits. Cabin drapes are good but not that good.

Third , an inside gets you out of the cabin to properly and fully enjoy the scenery.

Fourth, and most important, is view.... from anything but a full aft cabin or one facing full forward your going to have only a 90 degree view at best. You will be missing 270 degrees of the landscape like looking through a key hole. I compare it to seeing the Night Watch by Rembrandt, from 5 feet away to seeing it 100 feet away....totally different.

Oh yes, people will tell you how great the balcony was , however, they have nothing to compare it to. They are unaware how great it could have been .

In truth the place to be in on deck or in the forward lounge. The vistas are so large that you need to be in a place that offers a 360 degree view...balconies just can not offer you that.

Save the $$$ for land excursions it will be money way better spent in Alaska. .

Ask yourself, what and why are you going to Alaska to see and would looking through a knot hole suffice

To Willidc and everyone,

First of all thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question, if I can not go my sister and her husband might be on the Alaska cruise May 17th.

If we can not go, Oceania is in our future. As for WINDSTAR we have taken 13 and adore the cruises, we love the water, I was brought up sailing but I no longer want to bare boat, otherwise known as work! The small ships, the sails, the amazing crews, the elegance without the ostentation, fabulous food, for us it is perfect, all cabins with the exception of a few suites on each ship are 188 sq ft, very nicely laid out and roomy, port holes, after all it is a sail boat. I can not imagine a ship of thousands but then again I have never tried one, the 600+ interests us. I would highly recommend Windstar but cruising is very personal. Happy Cruising everyone! Susanne

. I can not imagine a ship of thousands but then again I have never tried one, the 600+ interests us. I would highly recommend Windstar but cruising is very personal. Happy Cruising everyone! Susanne

Suzanne...

I totally agree. I wont even sail on a ship over 1200... ( yes I had and lived on a 42ft C42 for years). These new monsters are floating cities 5000 to 8000 people counting crew. and almost twice the size of the navy's biggest aircraft carrier..With scads of non-nautical things like lawns, gardens, shopping malls etc. Seemingly these are built for people who want to cruise but don't want to be reminded they are on a ship.

Alaska deserves a more intimate approach and mode of travel...less is more in this case.