Travel Insurance...yes or no?

Flick

Several months ago I deposited for an 8 day cruise on Breeze leaving tomorrow, the 15th. Things happened and I dropped out of the cruise before final payment. Unexpectedly, my father died Wednesday night and if I did not have insurance I would be out of luck since obviously I can't go on the cruise. Maybe I could have gotten a refund upon presentation of a death certificate but maybe not. No matter how healthy YOU are can you really justify not buying travel insurance? As they say the best laid plans always get taken over by life!!!! Please consider travel insurance as part of the cost of the cruise...not an extra.

First, let me say I'm sorry for your loss.

I do not buy insurance. I never have. I do not plan as of now purchasing it anytime in the near future.

I look at it like this....anything that would happen to cause me to want or need to cancel my cruise would be life changing. The cost of the cruise would be nothing in comparison to that. The death of my parents or in laws, siblings etc. The last concern of mine would be a few $ I lost on a vacation.

I'm a gambler. I'll gamble. I never buy insurance at the blackjack table when the dealer is showing an "A" either.

Perhaps one of these days I'll whistle a different tune. But for now, that's how I do it. I'd rather spend the money on something I want rather than give it to an insurance company.

Just my opinion.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

First of all, my condolences on the loss of your father!

Second, I don't think anyone mentioned that all cruise lines strictly adhere to their cancellation policy regardless of circumstances! It's not that they don't have compassion. It's just that they offer insurance just in case it's needed. For those of you who have cruised many times and never had a reason to cancel or to need medical insurance, I hope your luck continues as it is definitely a gamble, IMHO.

Everyone should also check their personal healthcare since some policies do not cover medical issues when outside the U.S.! Granted, some do, but unexpected things happen, as others have said, and the resulting costs can really add up to shockingly high amounts! And not just for the medical issues, but also for the resulting fees that others have detailed. We've never had to cancel ahead of time, but we have had accidents and unexpected injuries, which were all paid by Travel Guard!

:)

Elaine

Several months ago I deposited for an 8 day cruise on Breeze leaving tomorrow, the 15th. Things happened and I dropped out of the cruise before final payment. Unexpectedly, my father died Wednesday night and if I did not have insurance I would be out of luck since obviously I can't go on the cruise. Maybe I could have gotten a refund upon presentation of a death certificate but maybe not. No matter how healthy YOU are can you really justify not buying travel insurance? As they say the best laid plans always get taken over by life!!!! Please consider travel insurance as part of the cost of the cruise...not an extra.

My condolences on your loss. I know how tough it can be. Second, I will say the same thing that I say when people discuss whether or not to get a passport for a closed loop cruise- you have to understand what your individual risk level is and your comfort with that risk level when making this decision. Some people have the ability to self insure, some don't, and some have a higher risk than others. Personally I get the travel insurance more for the medical and medevac coverage. The other thing is the guidance that I have read is that your travel insurance should not be more than 10 percent of your total insured costs.

Never bought travel insurance and never will. If something comes up and you can't go all you are out is the vacation experience. The money would have been spent had you gone and all you would have is the memory and maybe a cheap trinket you bought in port. Save your money on insurance and consider the money spent once you pay for the vacation.

It is not very much to buy it and due to it I have been reimbursed for fight delays ect well worth it.

Never bought travel insurance and never will. If something comes up and you can't go all you are out is the vacation experience. The money would have been spent had you gone and all you would have is the memory and maybe a cheap trinket you bought in port. Save your money on insurance and consider the money spent once you pay for the vacation.

But travel insurance covers much more than just loss of the trip- a good, comprehensive plan covers emergency medical expenses, return transportation to the states if you miss the ship for a covered reason, medevac coverage. Some people can and do self insure for these things, but personally I don't have $30k sitting around to pay for a medevac flight.

We always buy travel insurance and never used it until December 2012 when my Father died of a heart attack on the ship. We had left a port in the Eastern Caribbean and were on our way back to FLL. The travel insurance paid all the medical bills on the ship then also paid for the funeral home in FLL to transport my Dad back to our home.

Our policy was with Travel Insured and they were very professional and paid all the bills in a timely manner.

Whether it is cancellation, trip delay, illness or a medical emergency travel insurance is a must for this family!

Someone commented about coverage from health insurance and Credit Card travel insurance.

Speaking from personal experience only -

Health insurance did a pay an percentage of the foreign country and on board medical expenses, but my Dad's Medicare didn't cover anything.

Health insurance said, "no" to the medivac transport. Medicare..."no" to everything.

Credit Card insurance said, "file through all other insurance companies first (they were secondary policy and had limited medivac insurance) they would review the request, after we submitted all the documents, and give their decision with in 10 working days".

The medivac company (fox flight) Carnival's insurance company arranged to transport my Dad, was a "payment upfront" operation. Because of the travel insurance we didn't have to worry about coming up with the $28,500 and then wait to be reimbursed.

Check all policies very, very carefully, some cover only a percentage and some only cover certain countries and some don't cover on-board medical expenses.

Yes, we all have the right to make the choice on whether to purchase travel insurance. I just wanted to share our real costs in an unexpected emergency.

to Belle2 and mnsweeps, I buy my insurance thru Insuremytrip.Com! They have good rates and you can compare the various policies available. I do not recommend buying the insurance thru the cruise company. I used to be a travel agent. I had clients who would file a claim if a Port was missed because of weather etc. under the interrupted trip clause. The ship, on the other hand would take the position that you paid for a 7 day cruise and you got a 7 day cruise therefore no payout was justified. I'm sorry but I cannot tell you whether the claims were paid or not, I just know they occured.

Like some on this thread I never bothered getting trip insurance. I was young and what could happen to me? My health was great and I was on vacation!

Reading some of the stories in the past on CC showed me I could bankrupt the family if I was injured zip-lining and doing any other activities I catch myself doing on cruises. I couldn't imagine trying to fly back home in a private air ambulance or finding the money to pay for medical care in a foreign country.

For a couple of hundred bucks for the two of us it just makes since to have the coverage. The peace of mind of knowing I'm covered if I do something stupid makes it all worth while.

Travel insurance is always a YES. People always think it will be within their power to decide to cruise or not but it isn't always. I could be weather related, cancelled flight, sudden medical issue, death in the family..... It's worth the piece of mind.

For me, I've always paid for the insurance... for another 100-200 per trip on top of the 1500-200 already paid, it is incidental... And with my and my wife's parents getting older, you never know when something may happen. We have been fortunate so far and not needed it... but you never know when it will pop up and better to be prepared.

Steve

Sorry for the loss of your father.

We always buy insurance - family of 4 (2 kids 13 and 9). We don't cruise without it. It's not worth the gamble to me. We save to go on cruises, if something happened before our cruise and we had to cancel and lose everything because we didn't have insurance, it sure would be a sick feeling. Also having the medical coverage during the trip is peace of mind, because you just never know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Is there any down side to buying insurance directly thru Carnival ? I usually get my insurance from DAN, they're a diving insurance company but they also sell trip insurance.

This cruise we just went with Carnival but it was costly, like 120.00 per person costly.

Is there any down side to buying insurance directly thru Carnival ? I usually get my insurance from DAN, they're a diving insurance company but they also sell trip insurance.

This cruise we just went with Carnival but it was costly, like 120.00 per person costly.

No, because you have the coverage

Yes, because of the coverage amounts. We used the insuremytrip and found a highly rated company with better coverage and cheaper than Carnival.

Someone commented about coverage from health insurance and Credit Card travel insurance.

Speaking from personal experience only -

Health insurance did a pay an percentage of the foreign country and on board medical expenses, but my Dad's Medicare didn't cover anything.

Health insurance said, "no" to the medivac transport. Medicare..."no" to everything.

Credit Card insurance said, "file through all other insurance companies first (they were secondary policy and had limited medivac insurance) they would review the request, after we submitted all the documents, and give their decision with in 10 working days".

The medivac company (fox flight) Carnival's insurance company arranged to transport my Dad, was a "payment upfront" operation. Because of the travel insurance we didn't have to worry about coming up with the $28,500 and then wait to be reimbursed.

Check all policies very, very carefully, some cover only a percentage and some only cover certain countries and some don't cover on-board medical expenses.

Yes, we all have the right to make the choice on whether to purchase travel insurance. I just wanted to share our real costs in an unexpected emergency.

This is why I like to have travel insurance.

I can afford a cruise when I book it.

If I don't get to go and lose my money that is sad.

But what if one of us needs medical transport.

Depending on where you are at the time, it can be more than the cost of a nice house.

And to the op, I am very sorry about the loss of your father.

I have a Mastercard and have trip insurance on it. Its 100.00 per year and as long as i pay for my trip with it ,im covered. Covers everything from cancellation to collision damage waiver for rent a car.

Never leave home without it.

And i am older. lol

Anything could happen - quirky things. We have seen it all too often - people getting sick, cuts, broken ankles, heart attacks, etc. No one is immune from accidents or illness. In all the years I've paid for travel insurance we've never used it. It will take but one time for something to happen and all those policies will be paid back. There's no excuse for not having a travel policy.

Edited by elliair

Question, as I haven't cruised since I had kids. We are cruising without our children, they will be at home with a well trusted babysitter (my dad. trust him implicitly in ALL situations. The world could end and I would be at peace knowing my kids were with him.) But if something were to happen to THEM while we are traveling, does travel insurance cover expenses for us to go home to them? Or does it only cover the people traveling?

Question, as I haven't cruised since I had kids. We are cruising without our children, they will be at home with a well trusted babysitter (my dad. trust him implicitly in ALL situations. The world could end and I would be at peace knowing my kids were with him.) But if something were to happen to THEM while we are traveling, does travel insurance cover expenses for us to go home to them? Or does it only cover the people traveling?

This is of course dependent on the terms and conditions of the policy you have but I believe this is covered by at least some policies.

This is of course dependent on the terms and conditions of the policy you have but I believe this is covered by at least some policies.

Thanks. I realize that last sentence doesn't make much sense. Of course it only covers us, :rolleyes:. But if it covers getting us home if something happens at home when we've already left, that would be great. I'll shop around and see what I can find.

I have bought insurance for every cruise and, luckily, never had to use it. But I bought it for my upcoming cruise anyway because you never know. Last time, I had a sinus infection that I was able to manage with OTC meds and some strong waves in Grand Cayman (natural neti pot!) Had it gotten worse, I would have gone to the ship's doctor for antibiotics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Mastercard and have trip insurance on it. Its 100.00 per year and as long as i pay for my trip with it ,im covered. Covers everything from cancellation to collision damage waiver for rent a car.

Never leave home without it.

And i am older. lol

What about illness/injury on the cruise itself? That is really the only thing that concerns me.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Me(43) wife(38) and daughter(9) travel a lot. We have never bought insurance for any of our travels. However an incident 3 months back has changed my thoughts. We planned our vacation to China from Nov 20 - Dec 1, 2013. On Nov 12 my 9 year old daughter had severe pain on right abdominal side. Without getting into details, she had appendicitis emergency operation within 24 hours. She was discharged from hospital on Nov 14. Since the operation was laproscopic, doctor said he has to check her again on Nov 18 to make sure she is fine for travel to China. Everything was okay with her and we travelled to China for 12 days. One of the most amazing trips we have ever taken.

We are booked on April 6 cruise to W Caribbean with my 76 year old dad and 65 yr old mother. I am now looking for insurance which would cover a large part of medical if it arises. I see Travelguard Lite is about $130 for all 5 of us which seems pretty good and includes decent coverage. Any opinions on that?