change to family veranda or not?

youngreflection

Hi! We are booked in a regular veranda midship room, I am thinking of moving to a family veranda but my concern is the front location since I read that it makes one more prone to seasickness. We are first time cruisers so we are not sure yet how we will fare, but hb and son usually get dizzy when they go on fast amusement park rides. Do you think we should move or not? Thank you for any inputs.

Hi! We are booked in a regular veranda midship room, I am thinking of moving to a family veranda but my concern is the front location since I read that it makes one more prone to seasickness. We are first time cruisers so we are not sure yet how we will fare, but hb and son usually get dizzy when they go on fast amusement park rides. Do you think we should move or not? Thank you for any inputs.

It is hard to tell. DW is not fond of heights, but has never had seasickness.

We have had forward, aft and midship cabins, most of them deck 7 or higher and never had seasickness.

We have only encountered higher than unusual waves a couple of times.

Where are you cruising and what time of the year?

DW takes ginger tablets every day, I take nothing.

You will be fine with a forward cabin.

Actually, I don't think anyone can reliably tell anyone else that they will be "fine" with a forward cabin (or any other cabin) in terms of their concerns about motion and seasickness. Sensitivity to the ship's motion is totally idiosyncratic.

I wonder if there are big waves maybe it doesn't matter much whether front, mid or aft, it will all be "dizzy-ing"?

If the ship is pitching, you will feel more of the ship's motion in the bow and stern than you will low and in the middle of the ship. Think of a fulcrum.

My adult daughter got a bit seasick in heavy seas in the forward FV. I gave her Bonine a few times and she felt better. Mind you, we left Barcelona in a rain storm so it was a bit unusual weather. After a few days she was fine.

Is the FV open for you to book with just 3? Usually they require 5. It's a huge cabin. There is a lot of noise and vibration early in the AM when docking. If you're early risers it may not bother you.

Thank you for your inputs...we will be 4. The noise & vibration come only upon docking right? I guess if the ship docks early, we would be up early, too. But lots of seadays (3) & some late dockings for our itinerary...I am guessing that if there are rough waves/storm, even midship cabins will feel it? But it will be rockier for front locations?

Well, I've had cabins all over and felt the motion most in front, but I like feeling it. Really don't feel much in the middle and sometimes you forget you're on a ship! I tend to get a little seasick now and then but never felt it even though my daughter did.

If you don't mind the early noise, and also the long walk just about anywhere, then I say go for it. Two separate bedrooms, huge living/dining area, etc. I was disappointed that there wasn't a TV in the master bedroom but it was not a big deal.

It has a lot of motion, albeit the cabins are really nice. If you can stay put- Typically the cost of the FV is pretty high- you should try for an S1 which might cost slightly more, but it larger and more comfortable for three. If offered at this time consider a suite guarantee. You can also book and change up until your cruise is paid in full without any penalty.

Enjoy your cruise

Two separate bedrooms, huge living/dining area, etc. I was disappointed that there wasn't a TV in the master bedroom -----

Not sure which class of ship the OP is talking about as FV were in the stern of the ship on M class ships.

Here are some photos that I took of our FV on Infinity.,

You will see that we had 2 TV's( picture 4- post 9 )

Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962177

Edited by upwarduk

I too suffer from vertigo...can't even contemplate amusement rides.... and I don't think there is one answer to this. I think it depends on the actual motion of the ship...if it is a gentle up and down motion then that is rather pleasant...especially at night...it rocks you off to sleep. If it is a an up and down AND side to side...sometimes like that when we go through the Bay Of Biscay... then I do tend to suffer and it really doesn't matter where I am on the ship.

If you are really suffering badly then you can always go to the ship's doctor and have an injection to sort you out.

I have to say that I have never ever felt sea sick while cruising in the Caribbean....movement yes but never felt sick.

Enjoy your first cruise it will be absolutely wonderful....bet it won't be your last.

------and it really doesn't matter where I am on the ship.

If you are really suffering badly then you can always go to the ships's Doctor[/Quote]

We went through the Bay of Biscay on Eclipse in Oct 2010.

I didn't realise we had stormy seas until I went up to the Sky Observation Lounge, where some staff were posted at the entrance 'controlling the swinging doors.'

We were in a Midships cabin, on deck 7.

We went through the Bay of Biscay on Eclipse in Oct 2010.

I didn't realise we had stormy seas until I went up to the Sky Observation Lounge, where some staff were posted at the entrance 'controlling the swinging doors.'

We were in a Midships cabin, on deck 7.

We have been through BOB a few times and when it is rough it is rough. We have been through in April and October...very smooth. Went through in November 2012 ship listed...glasses.. belongings everywhere...couldn't stand up.

Went through last October on the Ventura...going very smooth....coming back quite a different story....MDR in the evening very quiet so I wasn't the only one "suffering"...in fact the library assistant was very very sick with it.

If you have a strong stomach and are not prone to vertigo/dizziness then you don't feel the effects quite the same.

Not sure which class of ship the OP is talking about as FV were in the stern of the ship on M class ships.

Here are some photos that I took of our FV on Infinity.,

You will see that we had 2 TV's( picture 4- post 9 )

Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962177

Since OP states that FV is in the front of the ship, it has to be S class. Completely different layout and location than M class.

"should try for an S1 which might cost slightly more, but it larger and more comfortable for three."

S1 isn't nearly as large as the FVs on S class. They are about 300 sq. ft. +/-; the FV is 575 sq. ft. and I bet the S1's are way more expensive, plus it's not a 'suite' at all, just a larger room.

Edited by CathyCruises

Thank you so much for all your help and tips, truly appreciate it...I put a courtesy hold on the FV on Reflection over the weekend but with the understanding that it will be released after 24 hours which was last night. I was not able to do another "courtesy hold" since it did not appear on the website again. I just called up my TA this Monday morning to have her inquire about it. We have made full payment since last week although our final payment date is still 10 days from now...I will just think that if the FV is for us, we will be able to get it. But if someone got it already, then we will take it as not meant for us and probably a "blessing in disguise". :)

My wife starts taking ginger tablets a week before our cruises to get ginger into her system. In addition, we take a large bag of star mints, red and white peppermints, that offers more immediate relief.

My wife doesn't do well with medicine, she tends to get really drowsy and sleeps a bunch. So we have found a few alternatives to medicine.

Actually, I don't think anyone can reliably tell anyone else that they will be "fine" with a forward cabin (or any other cabin) in terms of their concerns about motion and seasickness. Sensitivity to the ship's motion is totally idiosyncratic.

If the ship is pitching, you will feel more of the ship's motion in the bow and stern than you will low and in the middle of the ship. Think of a fulcrum.

The Eastern Med in May is a very calm time to sail, and what one person experiences will 'reliably' be different from others. 25+ yrs on different cruise ships and the only time the wife or kids got yuckie feeling was in a mid ship cabin with only 5 ft swells. You are correct,"Sensitivity to the ship's motion is totally idiosyncratic"