Tips for Booking a "Good" Veranda Stateroom?

Erinchita

Good afternoon. I have been charged with doing the research and booking for a family cruise in April. I have been on four cruises - 3 Celebrity and 1 Princess - so I have some experience with this. We are looking at cruises on S Class ships - Reflection or Silhouette at this point.

I need to state up front that the three remaining people in my family have poo poo'ed cruises forever, I've been working on them for YEARS to try out a cruise and they only now finally agreed to it when they saw how much you get for your money as opposed to a traditional vacation trip to the Caribbean.

On to my question - this trip is for my Dad's 60th birthday. I told my parents they must get a veranda stateroom to get the full experience, and they agree. Also my dad is very fussy and I feel like - even if you're unhappy with the buffet one morning how can you complain about sitting on a balcony in the middle of the Caribbean.

So now it's nearly January and we are just booking for April. I am concerned we are going to get a crappy veranda stateroom since we are booking so late. I have seen there are some with "humps" (??) and there are obstructed view staterooms. I know my fussy parents and this would ruin their trip and cruising for them in general. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid getting a less-than-stellar balcony room? What kinds of questions should I ask the travel agent? Are there certain categories that avoid the bad balconies? Any that are better than others?

Thank you SO much in advance for any help you can offer. This is all on my and the anxiety is rising! ;)

You want a cabin that's in the middle of the ship (a bit less motion...and a bit less walking to get anywhere).

Don't get an obstructed view cabin...not because they are bad (in fact the obstructions are generally not bothersome at all) but because they give something to complain about.

Most important thing to focus on is what's above and below your cabin....the safest is a cabin with another cabin above and below. If you are directly below a space where folks might move chairs, wheel carts (e.g. under the pool deck), you may hear some noise at strange hours.

Smoking is allowed on some public areas on the port (left) side of celebrity ships. and that smoke can sometimes be bothersome if you have a cabin on the left side of the ship...at least in the back of the ship.

So...book a non obstructed cabin on the starboard side towards the middle of the ship.

Final comment....if you are on an M-class ship, the concierge/aqua cabins are about 20 square feet larger than the standard veranda cabins. On the Solstice class ships, all cabins are the same size.

Hope this helps...

If you're booking an S class ship (probably are if you're mentioning the "hump") then there is a sticky thread on stateroom at the top of the Celebrity forum. Here is a direct link: S-Class Cabin Information Compilation

Celebrity is mostly non-smoking but one of the few outdoor smoking areas is in a pubic area on the outdoor promenade around the hump area on deck 5 port side. So if you're booking a veranda cabin on deck 6, or possibly 7, which is around the mid-ship elevator hump area or aft of that then avoid the port side if you don't want to smell smoke.

All of the obstructed view cabins are on deck 6 and are 2D or 2C cabins. Most, especially the 2C cabins, really are not that bad. Anything above a 2c category shouldn't have an obstructed view.

We prefer a cabin in close proximity to the mid ship elevators and I prefer one either on deck 6 or 7 so we are close to the bars and restaurants via the steps, or on one of the upper decks so we're close to the buffet and the outdoor pool, lawn or walking decks via stairs. Cabins further from the elevators or in the middle decks make using stairs and/or time to get someplace a bit longer but it isn't that big of a deal.

Other than that the general advice follows: Look at the deck plans to see what is immediately above or below you to avoid noisy areas. Staterooms that have other staterooms above or below will be the quietest although being above a public area isn't usually as noisy as being below one. Cabins far forward will have more motion and might have some noise when pulling into port from the thrusters or tie line machinery. Cabins far aft have a nice view but possibly more movement and a longer walk to the elevators.

All veranda cabins from standard verandas to Concierge Class and Aqua Class are the same size and physical layout on the S class ships. The amenities for CC and AQ are the only difference and their value is often a subject of debate and depends largely on how generous your cruise budget is. I wouldn't stretch it for a CC or AQ except that we occasionally go for AQ to be assigned to Blu dining room for dinner. On M Class (Millennium Constellation, Summit and Infinity) the Concierge Class are a little larger so they do have more additional value than on S class. The aft facing C1 cabins on the M class ships have verandas that are possibly the best at sea short of large suite cabins.

Enjoy these tips. I'm sure others will contribute. Be sure to take advantage of the Cruise Critic search function for similar threads that might have good information.

--------

Edit: I see ghstudio posted some similar info while I was composing my message. Some of our thoughts are very similar.

Edited by Lsimon

Please share the specific ship and date of sailing. Many of us know of a European website (can't share the name due to CC rules) that lists many open cabins in each class. I'm sure someone here will be happy to make specific recommendations if you would welcome that if you let us know the ship, date and cabin class you are interested in.

Relax, you've come to the right place!

Please share the specific ship and date of sailing. Many of us know of a European website (can't share the name due to CC rules) that lists many open cabins in each class. I'm sure someone here will be happy to make specific recommendations if you would welcome that if you let us know the ship, date and cabin class you are interested in.

Relax, you've come to the right place!

yes, provide ship and date and we can help more!!:)

You would probably want a category 2C or higher Veranda cabin. On a 2C, if you look down you will see a lifeboat and that is why they call it partially obstructed. In any case, I would opt for Deck 7 or above. We have stayed on Deck 7 (7299) towards the rear on the Port Side and it was great! No smoke and very quiet but a good walk to the elevators. The walk did burn off some of those calories from the buffet! You should check out a deck plan either online or get a Celebrity booklet from a local travel agency.

The key is what is above and below you. You want a room above you. Not a gym, pool or buffet. Also, a smoking area is on the Port side (left looking forward) on Deck 5. The smoke may affect those in the middle rear of the ship up a couple of floors.

I would not opt for an Aqua Class cabin on the Reflection. Go for a Veranda.

If mobility is a challenge, then book a cabin near the mid-ship elevators.

Good luck!

Many of us know of a European website (can't share the name due to CC rules) that lists many open cabins in each class.

If you use the site "many of us" knew, it's changed and that info is no longer available at that site. However there are a number of very large US internet TAs that have changed and are now showing up to 15 vacant cabins in a category.

I like the 1A just off the hump, on the 'S' class class ships.

9237 became available, just after the majority of people had paid- about 10-12 weeks before sail date.

It has a much larger balcony and was very close to the mid-ships elevators.

206o8pj.jpg

If you are on M class, try a FV, if any are still available. They accomodate 5 people, and have 2 rooms.

We had the corner one, starboard deck 9. ( 9156) at the rear of the ship.

2i7oj95.jpg

2cmsy6g.jpg

soxsmb.jpg

nyuy40.jpg

Edited by upwarduk

The hump cabins on the S class are GREAT! Definitely worth going for. Only problem is that you have left it a bit late. They book up well in advance.

Suggest that you or your TA be armed with a list on final day when payment in full is due. There may be a cancellation or two and you can snag a couple.

They really are FAR superior to any other cabins, but we typically book a year in advance.

You might also consider Aqua Class. We've never done it, but friends who have have enjoyed it very much.

Good luck.

Thank you thank you thank you.

One follow on question - seeing that M Class suggestion above got me thinking. Are there any rooms/suites on the S Class ships that would make sense for a family of four? That could give my mom and dad some privacy? My brother is 31 and I am 33, figured we'd just get a separate stateroom but is there a money saving opportunity here?

Hi Erinchita,

You are getting some great advice here and it is fantastic that you have enough time to plan.

Your parents are very lucky! My husband and I are the same age as your parents and honestly, getting them and you both your own rooms would give them and you some privacy. Just having a bathroom for each couple will be so important. If you get your parents a veranda, you could save money buy getting a room nearby that is an inside and that way you could visit their veranda. Four adults even in an FV will be "close" and the couch beds are just that…like a couch. Good for a nap, good for young kids, but you deserve a regular bed! Enjoy the planning and Happy New Year!

If you use the site "many of us" knew, it's changed and that info is no longer available at that site. However there are a number of very large US internet TAs that have changed and are now showing up to 15 vacant cabins in a category.

You might want to recheck because unless we are looking at different sites they have changed, but they still show many cabin options.

You might want to recheck because unless we are looking at different sites they have changed, but they still show many cabin options.

I had the same reaction. That site is still showing available cabins, and I'm pretty sure we are all looking at the same site.

I wouldn't worry too much about the availability of good cabins. The website that I use to see available cabins shows 32 1A cabins still available for the Reflections April 5th sailing and 17 1A's available on the Silhouette April 6th sailing. Even on sailings in February there are at least 50 good veranda cabins available.

Ahhh this is why I love this web site! Have been using it since my very first cruise in 2005. You are all the very best!!

We are looking at the Silhouette on April 6 or the Reflection on April 5.

I won't repeat the excellent advice given above, except to say that my personal preference is to have cabins above and below mine, and that, on the S-class ships, being near the midship elevators is incredibly convenient. And also that I love the cabins on the angle of the hump, as they are larger than normal for the rest of their cabin class.

I just took a look at the April 6 Silhouette sailing, and among the cabins still available are 9296 and 9243, both C2s, both on the angle of the hump (aft facing), great locations, and both with larger balconies than the C2 cabins that are not on the angle of the hump. 9296 is the third cabin off the hump (from the straight part of the hump) and thus has the largest balcony, while 9243, the fourth off the hump, is next largest. You will find reviews of these cabins (and of course others) if you do a search on the S-class cabin sticky at the top of the Celebrity forum.

There are other good cabins available (including 1As), those were two that stood out for me.

You are great to plan this trip, and I hope that you all have a wonderful time!

I'm still able to use that European site... just did this morning and it showed all available staterooms???? Unless it's a different European site!!:confused:

Can't thank you all enough. I think I found the website you referenced - extremely helpful - as is the spreadsheet! I feel like I have all the tools to find the right stateroom now. Just hope the TA is patient enough ;)

I'll keep you posted on what I end up with!

....... Are there any rooms/suites on the S Class ships that would make sense for a family of four? That could give my mom and dad some privacy? My brother is 31 and I am 33, figured we'd just get a separate stateroom but is there a money saving opportunity here?
If you and your brother do not mind bunk beds in a small room, you might consider a Family Veranda cabin if you want a large suite for a family of four without paying a suite price.

That way your parents can have a private bedroom and you would all have the very large living room to enjoy.

The drawback is that there is only one bathroom, but if you and your brother are in good physical condition, you can easily head up to the big spa bathroom.

For a preview, take a look at Paul Tucker's video of Family Veranda 8108 on the Silhouette.

Here is a link - just click Skip Ad.

It is a little shaky, but should give you a good idea.

The corresponding Family Veranda cabins on deck 8 of the other S-class ships should be very similar.

There are also Family Veranda cabins on deck 7 with a similar layout, but smaller verandas.

You should also take a look at a picture of the ship from the side - just Google images Celebrity Reflection for example. Some of the balconies on the upper decks are below a very deep overhang. Depending on whether you would like sun or shade this could have an impact on your cabin choice.

We had an AQ cabin on the hump with a very deep balcony. The size of the balcony was great but the balcony never got any sun and, as a sun-lover, I wouldn't book this cabin again.

Aft cabins are great. We always try to book an aft cabin but they usually are all booked up by the time we decide to cruise. Years ago, no one wanted aft cabins (because of the fear of enhanced motion at the rear of the ship) and they were the best kept secret on cruising. The sunrises and sunsets from aft cabins are usually spectacular, depending ,of course, on the direction of the ship! We love enjoying a glass of wine on our aft balcony in the late afternoon/ early evening,staring out at the vast expanse of ocean as the wake of the ship and whatever port we just left disappears into the horizon.

1862372472_Westerdam09SLIDE-055.jpg.23f2b254d3b05ea30d5822d9576bd108.jpg

1873296238_Westerdam09SLIDE-196.jpg.740955b15582d2d461d1ccc4f40f7ace.jpg

P1010710.jpg.eecb9427b26637e5e94a4484501d0d98.jpg

Edited by existentialtraveler