Fairbanks car rental vs taxi vs public transport

fennie

Hi,

We will be staying in fairbanks hotel near downtown area after a cruise for 2-3 days. I understand that the attractions in fairbanks are rather far apart.

1) Would car rental or taxi service be more viable?

2) How is the public transport system there?

3) Which car rental company would you recommend? What is the estimated price per day including fuel, insurance, gps?

4) Do car rental companies there provide pickup/ dropoff service for downtown hotels?

Thank you!

fennie: As someone who lives in Fairbanks I am curious as to which hotel you have booked. And what do you plan to do in Fairbanks?

A number of our local hotels offer shuttle services. Depending on what you plan to visit in Fairbanks you may not need a car rental or information about our Fairbanks North Star Borough bus service.

And welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hi Northern Aurora, we will be staying at downtown log cabin hideaway in september. There will be complimentary shuttle service to and from airport.

Im thinking of going to reindeer ranch, joining some northern light tours and doing sightseeing of attractions in fairbanks.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Hi,

We will be staying in fairbanks hotel near downtown area after a cruise for 2-3 days. I understand that the attractions in fairbanks are rather far apart.

1) Would car rental or taxi service be more viable?

2) How is the public transport system there?

3) Which car rental company would you recommend? What is the estimated price per day including fuel, insurance, gps?

4) Do car rental companies there provide pickup/ dropoff service for downtown hotels?

Thank you!

1) You need a car in Fairbanks

2) Public transport will waste too much time.

3) Call the local car rental places and ask

4) See answer to question 3. Also call your hotel.

DON

fennie: Since I hadn't heard of your B & B I had to check the location. The Log Cabin Hideaway is in a residential area filled with quirky older homes. It is located in one of the earliest residential areas in Fairbanks (the original part of the city was near the intersection of Cushman and First Avenue), and Badger Street is named after an early farmer in the area who farmed in the Badger Road area (out of town and not to be confused with the street in town). An elementary school is also named after Harry Badger.

Given where the B & B is located you could use the bus system to go to the Museum of the North or the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, but since you want to do some aurora viewing (are you planing to drive to Chena Hot Springs Resort?) and visit reindeer (the Running Reindeer or the Large Animal Research Station?) it will be so much easier if you rent a vehicle. The large national car rental companies are located at Fairbanks International Airport, so it is very easy to pick up a car if you arrive by plane.

For the aurora viewing, I am planning to do at chena hot springs resort. Might be considering a tour for that.

For the reindeer, i am more inclined to choose the running reindeer range. It seems to offer a more personal touch. Do you think that is a better choice? Is the taxi fare from the B&b lodge to the running reindeer range exorbitant?

What are the 'must-see'attractions in fairbanks?

For car rental companies, i understand that there are many companies at the airport. Are there any companies that are more highly recommended than others? Are there any rental companies with downtown locations?.

Northern Aurora: Cool bit about the fairbanks background :) It will be my first time in fairbanks, possibly the only time too since alaska is a very far destination for me.

For the aurora viewing, I am planning to do at chena hot springs resort. Might be considering a tour for that.

For the reindeer, i am more inclined to choose the running reindeer range. It seems to offer a more personal touch. Do you think that is a better choice? Is the taxi fare from the B&b lodge to the running reindeer range exorbitant?

What are the 'must-see'attractions in fairbanks?

For car rental companies, i understand that there are many companies at the airport. Are there any companies that are more highly recommended than others? Are there any rental companies with downtown locations?.

Northern Aurora: Cool bit about the fairbanks background :) It will be my first time in fairbanks, possibly the only time too since alaska is a very far destination for me.

By far a car, you need a car rental. I think you are somewhat misguided with your "aurora" ideas??? Frankly, you need to be available to look EVERY night, and definately you have an extremely slim chance with your "one night, tour" idea.

Depending on where you are staying, it may not be a good choice, if you are right "downtown" loaded with lights. Superior is to fork over the money and get a location that is known for the aurora viewing, and you just need to step outside for the looks. Otherwise, be well prepared to have to jump in the car and drive out of town. I like just over the hill past the Chena Springs exit on the Steese. In my opinion, if you have aurora, see it at it's ideal, don't settle for a "lighted" view.