Which side of the ship?

debnjoe1438

Hoping to do a cruise tour in 2015. If lucky enough to get a balcony, which side of the ship would be best for viewing whatever there is to view? Whales, land, other wildlife?

All of the above, as far as what to see. We had a balcony on the stern and found it perfect. Sheltered space, and wonderful views to both sides.

Having said that, the best views are out on deck, where you can move around to all sides.

Lots of photos in my blog linked in my signature. Have a great cruise!

All of the above, as far as what to see. We had a balcony on the stern and found it perfect. Sheltered space, and wonderful views to both sides.

Having said that, the best views are out on deck, where you can move around to all sides.

Lots of photos in my blog linked in my signature. Have a great cruise!

Thanks, I'll check out your photo's later. :D

We are hoping to do a southbound cruise and are thinking the port side so that we can be closer to the land and perhaps see more of Alaska itself.

However, hadn't considered that looking out to sea may bring more chance of seeing whales... Back to the drawing board! Lol!

Jo :)

We are hoping to do a southbound cruise and are thinking the port side so that we can be closer to the land and perhaps see more of Alaska itself.

However, hadn't considered that looking out to sea may bring more chance of seeing whales... Back to the drawing board! Lol!

Jo :)

Don't forget that Alaska cruises spend most of their time in the Inside Passage -- there is land on both sides. Beautiful landscape everywhere!

If your cruise is out of Vancouver I much prefer the scenery on the starboard side. If the cruise is out of Seattle then it really doesn't matter as you won't see anything for the better part of a day in either direction. Some people will contend that the port side is superior for your glacier day(s) because the narration is better....but if you spend that time on your balcony then you are only going to see half of the scenery, you really need to be out on deck on those days moving around to take it all in.

Don't forget that Alaska cruises spend most of their time in the Inside Passage -- there is land on both sides. Beautiful landscape everywhere!

That is a very good point. At least that gives us so many more cabin options! We have our shortlist and are really hoping RCI release schedules tomorrow... however unlikely that may be!

That is a very good point. At least that gives us so many more cabin options! We have our shortlist and are really hoping RCI release schedules tomorrow... however unlikely that may be!

the view to the east will provide the better view. the mainland beats the islands for mountains and glaciers on a routine basis. unique/specialty sites you should be on deck.

Hoping to do a cruise tour in 2015. If lucky enough to get a balcony, which side of the ship would be best for viewing whatever there is to view? Whales, land, other wildlife?

It was on cc somewhere I read that some travel advisors think the side of the ship where the sun hits is better than the land side as the sun warms balcony so people actually use them, where the other side is cooler. Being inside passage according to poster means things to view on both sides of boat, and as previous poster said certain days are better on deck where you can see everything. I have not had balcony, so just thought it was something to research further or consider if you want.

We booked a b2b out of Vancouver for June last month.

We were told all the starboard cabins in our category going northbound were sold out and similarly the port side were sold out coming southbound. We really don't mind but it would seem that those sides are more popular and you may need to book early to be sure of getting what you want.

the view to the east will provide the better view. the mainland beats the islands for mountains and glaciers on a routine basis. unique/specialty sites you should be on deck.

I agree about the mainland and so, after a long discussion with my mum, we are sticking with our original port side ideas.

I think we will assess the deck situation once we are there and in each location. Unfortunately my mum has mobility issues and uses crutches and so the privacy of our balcony also gives her some security of not being knocked and bustled on a busy main deck.

I do of course appreciate the information and advice :)

I agree about the mainland and so, after a long discussion with my mum, we are sticking with our original port side ideas.

I think we will assess the deck situation once we are there and in each location. Unfortunately my mum has mobility issues and uses crutches and so the privacy of our balcony also gives her some security of not being knocked and bustled on a busy main deck.

I do of course appreciate the information and advice :)

Here in the states many of those with mobility issues use a wheeled walker that has a seat and brakes. This folds up nicely but also provides for the ability to rest a bit. Is this something your mum would consider and would be able to rent or borrow?

Here in the states many of those with mobility issues use a wheeled walker that has a seat and brakes. This folds up nicely but also provides for the ability to rest a bit. Is this something your mum would consider and would be able to rent or borrow?

I will definitely make the suggestion to her, thank you.

The issue she has had with walker style equipment in the past is that it causes her to lean forward quite significantly which is a large issue. However, this could be down to the styles that we have available in the UK and I will definitely do some research on availability in the US.

Thanks again :)

The ones here do adjust for taller or shorter users. I found when using a "knee walker" that they don't always go short enough. I'm 5' 2" and was on tip toes unless has my sneakers on. Would have been same with the wheeled walker.

On the inside passage, both sides will have views. "Wildlife" isn't more on ANY side. and aft sailing isn't the best choice. But, ships really don't sail "coastal" anyone where one side has nice views and the other has open ocean. Likely will be a distance away.

The clear winner for port side is IF you have Glacier Bay on your itinerary and ONLY want viewing from your cabin. This side matches up with the commentary and usually has longer glacier views. Of course with this decision, you missing over 50 % of the views.

We are doing the Seattle - Seattle cruise with NCL next year. 3rd Alaska cruise, other two northbound.

BUT - one our best memories is sailing into Seattle on another cruise and watching the awesome sunset for well over an hour. Awesome. You had to be on the port side to see that.

This time we will be doing Victoria to Seattle.

Seasoned cruisers have any comments on side to pick?

Day Port Arrive Depart

Sun Seattle (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Mon At Sea --- ---

Tue Juneau 2:00 pm 10:00 pm

Wed Skagway 7:00 am 8:15 pm

Thu Glacier Bay --- Overnight

Fri Ketchikan 6:00 am 1:30 pm

Sat Victoria, BC, Canada 6:00 pm 11:59 pm

Sun Seattle (DISEMBARK)

I go to Alaska almost annually. It's "just" my opinion that you don't need a balcony cabin because the place to be to see "everything" is out and about the decks. If you hear an anouncement, you can hurry to the bow or to the other side and not miss anything.

If it's sunny, the top decks are best. If it's dreary, the promanade deck is the best because you can scoot in, hurry across to the opposite deck and see what's recommended. At least, that's what we do on H.A. ships.

Money spent on a balcony cabin can be money down the drain if it happens to be a rainy week:(. You'll spend enough extra money just doing things in port. Alaska is expensive because "everything" has to be shipped in, AND, they have a very few months to get the dollars from the tourists.

Sometimes I love balconies and many on CC say you just "have" to have a balcony for the views in Alaska but the views are on BOTH sides of the ship and usually your balcony view is only straight out because of balcony dividers.

Balconies in warm climates? YES! Bkfst. on the balcony? YES!

HAVE A GRAND TIME!