Solo cruisers and shore excursions

darkauburnnotred

I will be going solo on the Norwegian Getaway this May. I have cruised before and know that I can do things a lot cheaper if I go on my own with taxis or with a private company. Since I am going to be alone, I am wondering from a safety viewpoint if I would be better with a ship's tour. What is your experience with shore excursions? Am I better off just going through the ship?

Another option is joining the roll call, to see if others are interested in doing an independent tour with you or when on the ship, go to the studio lounge and see if other solo cruisers would like to join you.

Normally, its pretty safe even going out on your own. Just use the same precautions you would at home.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

I will be going solo on the Norwegian Getaway this May. I have cruised before and know that I can do things a lot cheaper if I go on my own with taxis or with a private company. Since I am going to be alone, I am wondering from a safety viewpoint if I would be better with a ship's tour. What is your experience with shore excursions? Am I better off just going through the ship?

On the Epic eastern caribbean, I did the shore ones- it was more fun as I knew a few people from the ship already.

Plus, I think safety wise you are better as well. I know others have different- and equally justifiable opinions as well but I found them to also be a good way of meeting other passengers.

In Nassau I did the see and sea, St Thomas- Maganes Bay/Blackbeard Caastle and St Marteen a boat ride that went to the other side of the island- going with the ship made it more socialable

I did one excursion in Bermuda on the Breakaway and enjoyed it for the same reasons

Another option is joining the roll call, to see if others are interested in doing an independent tour with you or when on the ship, go to the studio lounge and see if other solo cruisers would like to join you.

Normally, its pretty safe even going out on your own. Just use the same precautions you would at home.

I have joined my roll call, but it is not very active. I could see if anyone would be interested. The only place that I am somewhat hesitant to try something is Nassau. That place just creeps me out.

On the Epic eastern caribbean, I did the shore ones- it was more fun as I knew a few people from the ship already.

Plus, I think safety wise you are better as well. I know others have different- and equally justifiable opinions as well but I found them to also be a good way of meeting other passengers.

In Nassau I did the see and sea, St Thomas- Maganes Bay/Blackbeard Caastle and St Marteen a boat ride that went to the other side of the island- going with the ship made it more socialable

I did one excursion in Bermuda on the Breakaway and enjoyed it for the same reasons

I am thinking the same thing, but I just can't get over the price. Do you think going with a private operator like Bernard's Tours in St. Maarten would be a good option? There were a lot of couples when I went on it last year.

All of my cruises have been solo, and I usually opt for the ship's tours unless I am familiar with the port, where I might just go off on my own. Yes it is a little more expensive than private tours sometimes, but from a safety and a return to ship in time aspect, I am more comfortable with the ship's tours. But that is just me.

Edited by travelnap

When I first started cruising solo, I would go with the ship excursions but now I utilize my roll call and I just contact tour companies individually. I tell them I'm traveling solo and would be interested in joining a tour if they don't have enough people. That's what I did for a tour in St Lucia in September and it worked out perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

All of my cruises have been solo, and I usually opt for the ship's tours unless I am familiar with the port, where I might just go off on my own. Yes it is a little more expensive than private tours sometimes, but from a safety and a return to ship in time aspect, I am more comfortable with the ship's tours. But that is just me.

I do likewise. :-)

A lot depends on where you are going - I've traveled to many places around the world on my own and made my way in various cities and towns solo without issue. On the other hand, there are some places in the world where I would not, for safety reasons, make my own way around a city and would only join a group tour/excursion.

I am thinking the same thing, but I just can't get over the price. Do you think going with a private operator like Bernard's Tours in St. Maarten would be a good option? There were a lot of couples when I went on it last year.

I am booked on a tour with Bernard in St. Maarten. If you look at his reviews, it's a great tour and a lot cheaper than a ship's tour. As usual, be aware of your surroundings.

Totally depends on the destination. In many European cities, I almost never book a ship excursion, because I'm very comfortable toddling around by myself. When I was in South America, I was less comfortable, so I did mostly ship trips.

Roll calls are great for finding private tours. And not just your roll call ... find other roll calls to your destinations who are maybe more active, get ideas of a good company and take it from there.

I have joined my roll call, but it is not very active. I could see if anyone would be interested. The only place that I am somewhat hesitant to try something is Nassau. That place just creeps me out.

I was a solo traveler last week and in Nassau I took the city bus by myself for $1.25 to the Melia resort for the day. I never felt unsafe. If you are looking for something more active, then perhaps just book through the cruise line.

Totally depends on the destination. In many European cities, I almost never book a ship excursion, because I'm very comfortable toddling around by myself. When I was in South America, I was less comfortable, so I did mostly ship trips.

I totally agree. In December I was in Callao/Lima and wouldn't dare go around alone there. Other South American ports varied, but even one that looked OK to me (Valparaiso, Chile), the guide (private excursion) had people wrapping camera straps around arms, etc due to theft. I've not felt uneasy in the main part of any European city. The Caribbean Islands are a breeze. I don't have enough experience of Central America to give advice.

• 2 weeks later...