Drink package question

johnt83

Does anyone know how Royal Caribbean (or any other cruise line) *tracks* if only one person is using the drink package? For example, what is to stop me from getting a soda, giving it to my family member, and then going back for another one 10 minutes later or less? Not sure how they track these package uses, but any insight would be great! Thank you.

Royal monitors these boards. They correlate your CC name with your booking. Once they have your real name, then put a flag on your record to have the security people watch what you do with your drinks.

The number crunchers have a solid figure for the average number of drinks consumed by people with the package. With decent programming (difficult for Royal, I know), they can easily generate a list of all cards exceeding that number. If consumption remains consistently high, all they have to do is flag the card & it's owner to be watched. You'll be off the ship @ the next port...............

The number crunchers have a solid figure for the average number of drinks consumed by people with the package. With decent programming (difficult for Royal, I know), they can easily generate a list of all cards exceeding that number. If consumption remains consistently high, all they have to do is flag the card & it's owner to be watched. You'll be off the ship @ the next port...............

What are you smoking?

Royal monitors these boards. They correlate your CC name with your booking. Once they have your real name, then put a flag on your record to have the security people watch what you do with your drinks.

Big thumbs up! I love it!

I'm curious why someone would want to spend their vacation looking over their shoulder trying to get away with something. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Edited by readytolose

What does pricing have to do with taking you off the ship at the next stop?

You may not agree but theft is against the rules. If all you got was a slap on the wrist the cruise line is screwed because other people will decide they may as well cheat too. Lose your vacation & an example has been set for everyone.

I had the beverage package on the FOS. When using the self serve freestyle soda machine, it'll lock you out for several minutes if you attempt to get extra servings. I tried strawberry soda for the first time and I didn't like it. I then tried to refill my soda cup with grape soda and I had to wait. Later, I saw a woman who was abusing her beverage package get an admonishment from the bartender when she attempted to get extra servings for family members. I do believe Royal tracks your beverage use and in my opinion, rightfully so.

You may not agree but theft is against the rules. If all you got was a slap on the wrist the cruise line is screwed because other people will decide they may as well cheat too. Lose your vacation & an example has been set for everyone.

Call it what ever you want, theft or one too many drinks on your card they figure that in the price. It will be very hard to prove and they are not taking you off the ship.

They do pay attention to drinking habits. For example if you are going to the bar & getting a beer, then 10 minutes later getting a rum & coke, then 10 minutes later getting a vodka tonic, it's obvious there's something up & they'll flag your account.

When we were on Celebrity, you could tell the bartenders were paying attention to the drinks people were getting. There were people who had they're packages revoked for 'misuse' however, I highly doubt you'll see anyone admit to it here on CC.

It would never be worth their time, money, or energy to ever do this, not to mention virtually impossible for a myriad of reasons not worth mentioning.

The reality is, profit margins are astronomical on alcoholic beverages. A $10-12 fancy blended drink costs RCI less than 2 dollars to make, including labor. A bottle of Corona costs them less than 75 cents. They're getting $55 per day with a drink package to schlepp you one and two dollar drinks (cost basis). They're still getting their margins with these packages, even with a small fraud percentage added on. In fact, the packages guarantee them those margins.

It would never be worth their time, money, or energy to ever do this, not to mention virtually impossible for a myriad of reasons not worth mentioning.

The reality is, profit margins are astronomical on alcoholic beverages. A $10-12 fancy blended drink costs RCI less than 2 dollars to make, including labor. A bottle of Corona costs them less than 75 cents. They're getting $55 per day with a drink package to schlepp you one and two dollar drinks (cost basis). They're still getting their margins with these packages, even with a small fraud percentage added on. In fact, the packages guarantee them those margins.

I might be wrong but I think Bob was kidding.

lol, thanks for the responses everybody, really appreciate them! Good to know how the system works. I personally have never bought soda nor plan to, just wondering how it'd work if I ever did. I don't drink enough soda to pay $20 per day and to be honest, how can one drink so much per day? So unhealthy in my opinion! Anyways, happy cruising :)