What side of ship to see port in Nassau and Freeport?

hrmkr

Does anyone know what side of the ship will you be able to see the port in Nassau and Freeport when the Fascination docks?

There is really nothing to see in Freeport other than a dirty commercial port.

Need to take a taxi 15 minutes or so to get to something worth seeing.

• Like 1

Your chance of seeing the port in Nassau are slim to none. There are sometimes 4-5 cruise ships docked next to other. Only the one closest to the shore gets a view of Nassau and only the one furthest gets a view of the ocean. All the other get views into peoples cabins on the other ships.

but fyi, they were all pulled in nose first.

• Like 1

Freeport is pretty ugly. You're better off keeping your eyes closed.

Nassau has a lighthouse at the tip of Paradise Island, as well as the Atlantis resort on the LEFT side (port) while downtown Nassau will be on the right side (starboard). Keep in mind that sometimes the ship turns around and docks in reverse in which case everything will be obviously backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Freeport is pretty ugly. You're better off keeping your eyes closed.

Never quite understood why ships go there?

Went there on our first cruise about 20 years ago. Took a tour and within 15 minutes fell asleep in the van and slept for maybe 20 minutes. Than got up and experienced the rest of the door.

My nap was the best part of the tour and we have managed to never go back.

I'm the oddball who likes Freeport. The people are SO much nicer than in Nassau. I kind of enjoy the port area - spent a very enjoyable afternoon there sitting in the sun on the balcony and watching the tugs work container ships through a very narrow channel to then be loaded or unloaded. An Irish Naval vessel also came in waving and saluting as they sailed through and you can usually see something in drydock nearby. Always something going on to see there -even if you don't really do anything.

Nassau I'd just as soon skip. I find it dirty, run down, and the people are rude. As to which side, you never can tell depending on whether you back in or not, how many ships are in, which pier you are assigned to - there's no telling.

In Freeport it is not much to see so it doesn't matter. In Nassau we went up to the upper outside decks. You will see the port on the starboard side as you approach, but our ship (Splendor) backed in to the port. You can see Atlantis straight ahead (front of ship or back if backing in).

I'm the oddball who likes Freeport. The people are SO much nicer than in Nassau. I kind of enjoy the port area - spent a very enjoyable afternoon there sitting in the sun on the balcony and watching the tugs work container ships through a very narrow channel to then be loaded or unloaded. An Irish Naval vessel also came in waving and saluting as they sailed through and you can usually see something in drydock nearby. Always something going on to see there -even if you don't really do anything.

Nassau I'd just as soon skip. I find it dirty, run down, and the people are rude. As to which side, you never can tell depending on whether you back in or not, how many ships are in, which pier you are assigned to - there's no telling.

I'm with you. I much prefer Freeport to Nassau. Feels safer, less crowded, easy to get out on a secluded beach, friendlier. Even the town, which was hammered by a major hurricane about 10 or so years ago, is making a nice comeback. Several nice little shops and restaurants.

I'd opt for a Bahamian cruise that skipped Nassau every time. And wait till the new behemoth resort opens in Nassau - even more crowded!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm the oddball who likes Freeport.

Even though the port is ugly and industrial, I do like Freeport more than Nassau. It's a much more laid back island, with not as many tourists, and more opportunities to find a secluded spot. As you mentioned, I also found the people to be nicer and less pushy than in Nassau.

I would honestly be much more inclined to sail on an itinerary visiting Freeport than one visiting Nassau.