The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

The sand is soft, and no there are no properties like NC. All beaches are free to the public except Magens and Smith Bay which charge a nominal fee.

You can choose between a very lively vibe with Coki where several vendors rent everything and sell food/drinks, Magens Bay which is very crowded with lounges, drinks and not so great food, or Secret Harbor which is a smaller bay like Coki but with a condo property, dive center, and nicer restaurant;

Or the quietest beach with a beach bar at Hull Bay but nothing else, or Smith Bay/Lindqvist Beach with restrooms and not much else but arguably the nicest beach choice.

In between you have Lindbergh with the Best Western and a good restaurant and beach bar, Sapphire with a condo property, runners taking food/drink orders on the beach and natural shade, and Cowpet Bay with a beach grill and several condos.

Thanks for answering me. We are looking for the same kind of feel as NC (not necessarily private). We like beach chairs and facilites. The only think is NC has very coarse sand and we are looking for a softer feel.

Yes there are restrooms, lounges are $9pp, and there is abundant natural shade along the beach, no umbrellas needed. Excellent Mahi Mahi sandwich at the Banana Cabana beach grill, $14 but it is big enough to share.

Check out the drone video and web cam here if you haven't already -

www.sapphireinthesun.com

:)Does the dive shop that rents loungers and the Banana Cabnana restaurant accept US credit cards (Visa or Mastercard)? Or US dollars?

Are there public restrooms available?

Thank you for your information and input!

:)Does the dive shop that rents loungers and the Banana Cabnana restaurant accept US credit cards (Visa or Mastercard)? Or US dollars?

Are there public restrooms available?

Thank you for your information and input!

Answered these questions in your other post, and yes there are restrooms.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Emerald Bay after reading this very informative post. The beach was great, grabbed 2 loungers for $14 from Isaiah who works the area right pass the hotel border. They were comfortable and he kept coming over to ask if we were doing well. We were able to use the bathroom at the restaurant that is there, as well as grab food if we wanted to.

If you are docked in Crown Bay this beach is really a no-brainer in my book.

Hi

We will be docked at Havensight, R/C Freedom on March 23, Wed. The only ship scheduled to be there that day!! This will be our 3rd time in St Thomas on cruise. 1st time took Sunny Liston tour and went to Megans Bay. 2nd time chartered a sailboat for the day (was not easy getting back and forth from ship to marina at Red hook) last year we took taxi to Coki beach. It got really crowded within an hour or so of arriving there. So, this time I would like to go to a different beach. Please tell me what you recommend:

1- beauty (nice view, pretty water) and easy to get taxis to and from (we are there 12-7) (shade or umbrella available)

2- bar/facilities available

3-chairs

So, should we go to Sapphire, Smith Bay (Lindquist) or Emerald (Lindburgh)?

Thanks for the advice!

Lisa

Hi

We will be docked at Havensight, R/C Freedom on March 23, Wed. The only ship scheduled to be there that day!! This will be our 3rd time in St Thomas on cruise. 1st time took Sunny Liston tour and went to Megans Bay. 2nd time chartered a sailboat for the day (was not easy getting back and forth from ship to marina at Red hook) last year we took taxi to Coki beach. It got really crowded within an hour or so of arriving there. So, this time I would like to go to a different beach. Please tell me what you recommend:

1- beauty (nice view, pretty water) and easy to get taxis to and from (we are there 12-7) (shade or umbrella available)

3-chairs

Thanks for the advice!

Lisa

Hi Lisa, We will be with you. We are wondering if there is a beach that you can walk to from the pier. We are traveling with 22 people and a few small children so dont want to take a taxi to the other side of the island at that time of day. We have been to St Thomas many times also so just looking for a relaxing beach day. Thanks in advance, Deb

Hi Lisa, We will be with you. We are wondering if there is a beach that you can walk to from the pier. We are traveling with 22 people and a few small children so dont want to take a taxi to the other side of the island at that time of day. We have been to St Thomas many times also so just looking for a relaxing beach day. Thanks in advance, Deb

Hi Deb! You're a disney fan too? I'm a huge Mickey fan! (and all disney) Do you live in FL? we're in Jax.

The closest beach to the pier is Morningstar beach which is at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef hotel. You will see it when we are coming into port. I hear good things about it on here, very close and about a $6 cab ride. Check it out.

ALso I hear that Lindbergh (emerald bay) beach is very close too, about $12 cab ride. We may be doing that as well since our time there is limited b/c I want to take the Sky Lift too, I"ve never done that. Are you on our blog here for Roll Call? I've been posting on there frequently. Are you signed up for the meet & mingle? I hope to meet you! We'll be on deck 8.

Have a great day!

Lisa

Hi Deb! You're a disney fan too? I'm a huge Mickey fan! (and all disney) Do you live in FL? we're in Jax.

The closest beach to the pier is Morningstar beach which is at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef hotel. You will see it when we are coming into port. I hear good things about it on here, very close and about a $6 cab ride. Check it out.

ALso I hear that Lindbergh (emerald bay) beach is very close too, about $12 cab ride. We may be doing that as well since our time there is limited b/c I want to take the Sky Lift too, I"ve never done that. Are you on our blog here for Roll Call? I've been posting on there frequently. Are you signed up for the meet & mingle? I hope to meet you! We'll be on deck 8.

Have a great day!

Lisa

Hi Lisa, Thanks for the information. I'm a huge Mickey and disney fan. We live in California. We have been talking about the Sky lift too:) Yes I'm on the roll call and signed up for the meet and mingle but the others we are traveling with are not. A lot of us are on deck 6.

You have a great day too! Deb

I look forward to meeting you!! I hope to go to the M&G, my DH never goes with me so i'll probably go alone. I'm leaning towards going to Emerald beach as well.

What part of CA? We lived in San Diego when we were first married 26 years ago, DH was stationed there in Navy. His family is all over CA, my stepkids and their children live in Fresno, SIL in LA, Mother in law, Brother in law in Paradise, CA (north of Sac) We're do a trip to visit there maybe this summer, been 3 years. such a long trip :(

We're only 2.5 hours from Disney in Orlando, So I go often.

lisa

Hi

3-chairs

Thanks for the advice!

Lisa

Since you want all of those amenities your beach choices are limited to the more popular (read crowded) beaches unfortunately.

Lindbergh has everything you want but you have to taxi through town to get there, guessing $14 - 16pp roudtrip from Havensight. Nice restrooms and a restaurant and beach bar.

Sapphire also has everything plus abundant natural shade but taxi is $20pp roundtrip. Gorgeous beach and island views though...

Lindquist (Smith Bay) is arguably the most gorgeous of them all but no chair rentals or food and drink. You could grab a delicious lunch from Gourmet Gallery at Havensight and lay on towels though as there are restrooms.

Secret Harbor has all the amenities you want plus a good restaurant.

Morningstar is nice and a $12pp taxi roundtrip, you can use the resort facilities or just lay your towel on the beach.

Hull Bay promises to be the least busy and has a beach bar, no chair and umbrella rentals but natural shade.

Since you want all of those amenities your beach choices are limited to the more popular (read crowded) beaches unfortunately.

Lindbergh has everything you want but you have to taxi through town to get there, guessing $14 - 16pp roudtrip from Havensight. Nice restrooms and a restaurant and beach bar.

Sapphire also has everything plus abundant natural shade but taxi is $20pp roundtrip. Gorgeous beach and island views though...

Lindquist (Smith Bay) is arguably the most gorgeous of them all but no chair rentals or food and drink. You could grab a delicious lunch from Gourmet Gallery at Havensight and lay on towels though as there are restrooms.

Secret Harbor has all the amenities you want plus a good restaurant.

Morningstar is nice and a $12pp taxi roundtrip, you can use the resort facilities or just lay your towel on the beach.

Hull Bay promises to be the least busy and has a beach bar, no chair and umbrella rentals but natural shade.

I think we are at Crown Bay, not Havensight. So I have narrowed the choices down to Emerald Bay or Sapphire. Is Sapphire really that much more beautiful and worth the extra time to get there and back? Thanks!!

I think we are at Crown Bay, not Havensight. So I have narrowed the choices down to Emerald Bay or Sapphire. Is Sapphire really that much more beautiful and worth the extra time to get there and back? Thanks!!

For us and others it is. But Sapphire also offers snorkeling and if that is to a priority Lindbergh is a great choice. Lindbergh is also a very nice beach and I know you will find it a perfect beach and much more convenient. So I'd recommend Lindbergh for a nice beach day and an easier day.

Edited by blue_water

For us and others it is. But Sapphire also offers snorkeling and if that is to a priority Lindbergh is a great choice. Lindbergh is also a very nice beach and I know you will find it a perfect beach and much more convenient. So I'd recommend Lindbergh for a nice beach day and an easier day.

Thank you! I'll probably just decide last minute when we walk off the ship! I just worry about taxis getting back. (from Sapphire that is)

Thank you! I'll probably just decide last minute when we walk off the ship! I just worry about taxis getting back. (from Sapphire that is)

Sorry, that should have read Sapphire also offers snorkeling and if that is not a priority Lindbergh is a great choice.

We rent a condo at Sapphire when staying on STT and that spoils us with the nice island views and sapphire water colors. But for a day visit Lindbergo is a very nice beach and much more convenient, and the restrooms and restaurants are better there. Maybe Sapphire will sound better next visit! :)

HI Lisa, I believe we dock at Havensight, which is Charlotte Amalie. Deb

HI Lisa, I believe we dock at Havensight, which is Charlotte Amalie. Deb

Havensight (WICO) is east of Charlotte Amalie while Crown Bay is to the west. So the East End beaches like Sapphire are a little more convenient from Havensight, but nothing is very far away on STT... :)

Yes the FOS docks at Havensight, and according to the schedule (vinow dot com and cruisett.com) you are the only ship in port that Wed. So it would definitely be worth going to Sapphire beach to enjoy the beautiful beach, water, and island views and the quiet under the trees. And we love the mahi mahi sandwich from the Banana Cabana beach grill!

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

Blue _ water I may have asked you this before. This thread is so long. But now is Sapphire a good option if we dock at noon ? By then all of the beaches will be crowded I'm sure? We dock at WICO. And should we go to Paradise Point before or after the beach? Please help. We have been to STT numerous times before. Never to Sapphire.

Blue _ water I may have asked you this before. This thread is so long. But now is Sapphire a good option if we dock at noon ? By then all of the beaches will be crowded I'm sure? We dock at WICO. And should we go to Paradise Point before or after the beach? Please help. We have been to STT numerous times before. Never to Sapphire.

Hi cruizin, arriving at noon we wouldn't have any concerns about choosing Sapphire. If there are several ships in port with you the section near the dive center where the swimming beach is located could be busier. And the condo properties will be full as well. But you can take your loungers anywhere under the trees off to the right, or in the sun to the left. And others will be leaving within a couple hours of you arriving. Runners take food and drink orders where the trees are, and you can also walk to the Banana Cabana between condo bldgs B & C. But certainly a better choice than Coki or Magens.

Yes I'm a Sapphire nut :p but it is worth visiting IMHO.

If you want to be assured of no fellow cruisers, Hull Bay on the north side is a nice beach. Not the same water colors and island views and no amenities other than a beach bar and restrooms, so you'd have to lay in the sand...but Hull Hideaway has drinks and food -

http://www.hullbayhideaway.com/

There will be people there, just not the crowd at other beaches. You'd want to get a driver to return for you.

Edited by blue_water

Hi cruizin, arriving at noon we wouldn't have any concerns about choosing Sapphire. If there are several ships in port with you the section near the dive center where the swimming beach is located could be busier. And the condo properties will be full as well. But you can take your loungers anywhere under the trees off to the right, or in the sun to the left. And others will be leaving within a couple hours of you arriving. Runners take food and drink orders where the trees are, and you can also walk to the Banana Cabana between condo bldgs B & C. But certainly a better choice than Coki or Magens.

Yes I'm a Sapphire nut :p but it is worth visiting IMHO.

If you want to be assured of no fellow cruisers, Hull Bay on the north side is a nice beach. Not the same water colors and island views and no amenities other than a beach bar and restrooms, so you'd have to lay in the sand...but Hull Hideaway has drinks and food -

http://www.hullbayhideaway.com/

There will be people there, just not the crowd at other beaches. You'd want to get a driver to return for you.

Thank you so much. We will have several St. Thomas first timers with us. A few have mentioned Magen's Bay, but I like to sound like I'm in the know so I tell them "hang on, I've got a surprise for you!" Lol. Magen's is pretty but imo doesn't touch Coki. But my family has been to Coki twice. I'm wanting to try Sapphire based mostly on what you've said about it. Not too worried about the crowds. And we'll head to PP afterwards.

Thanks again. I will report back post cruise.

Meant to add we like PP after going to Sapphire and before returning to the ship. Nice spot to relax and enjoy the view.