Is it true that you NEED a passport to board the Oasis?

bre

Just read on the reviews, that they almost didn't let a group board the Oasis, because they only had their Drivers License and Birth certificate. I've always thought that was acceptable. My husband and I always travel with our passports. But in the past, we have only brought birth certificates for our kids. Are we going to run into problems getting on our upcoming cruise in April?

Just read on the reviews, that they almost didn't let a group board the Oasis, because they only had their Drivers License and Birth certificate. I've always thought that was acceptable. My husband and I always travel with our passports. But in the past, we have only brought birth certificates for our kids. Are we going to run into problems getting on our upcoming cruise in April?
For closed loop cruises OFFICIAL BCs plus government issued photo id (for those over 16) are what is required. Hasn't changed for a few years.

Thom

Yes, I do travel with my passport, but I'm answering the question asked.

You say that they "almost didn't let the group board" by which I take it that the group eventually was permitted to board. Without knowing the type of birth certificates members of the group had, it is impossible to know the reason for the problem because valid birth certificates along with a government-issued photo ID are the only things needed to board Oasis. Assuming it is a closed-loop cruise beginning and ending in the same US port, you should have no problems doing what you have done in the past

For USA citizens only, if it's a closed looped cruise meaning embarkation/debarkations ports are the same than a Certified Birth Certificate with the registrars' seal (whether it's embossed, impressed, multicolor or a raised seal) and a government issued photo ID such as a state Driver's license is acceptable.

What often occurs is that individual bring the Hospital issue BC thinking it's acceptable a which it isn't or just a BC photo copy with is also not acceptable.

IMHO, if one is going to go on an cruise out of the country, they should be required to get a real passport. It is easy to get the passport and relatively cheap compared to the cost of a cruise. A passport just makes life easier in case of any problems.

IMHO, if one is going to go on an cruise out of the country, they should be required to get a real passport. It is easy to get the passport and relatively cheap compared to the cost of a cruise. A passport just makes life easier in case of any problems.

While I can totally see your side of the discussion, what about people taking their very first cruise? If they go and discover that it's not for them, the BC route lets them avoid the costs of passports that they'd never use again.

I know I'd be glad skip that extra cost in that scenario.

(Playing Devil's Advocate here. :D)

That may be your opinion and while having a passport may "make life easier" the law doesn't require it. Until such a requirement is put into place, many people will choose to do only what the law requires. If you feel strongly about the issue, write your Congressman and suggest that the law be changed, but be prepared for a lengthy wait before any such change can be put in place (if it ever is).

The topic of this thread was whether or not a birth certificate and government issued photo ID were sufficient for Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas. The question has, I believe, been adequately answered.:)

While I can totally see your side of the discussion, what about people taking their very first cruise? If they go and discover that it's not for them, the BC route lets them avoid the costs of passports that they'd never use again.

I know I'd be glad skip that extra cost in that scenario.

(Playing Devil's Advocate here. :D)

What makes you think the passports would be a waste if they decided they didn't like cruising? It's may be hard to believe but people take many other types of vacations and do travel to other countries where a passport is an absolute necessity. I guess you're one who only cruises.

What makes you think the passports would be a waste if they decided they didn't like cruising? It's may be hard to believe but people take many other types of vacations and do travel to other countries where a passport is an absolute necessity. I guess you're one who only cruises.

Easy now, I simply kept it in the context of the one scenario. Being insulting was not required.

Easy now, I simply kept it in the context of the one scenario. Being insulting was not required.

I totally agree. Not to mention the fact that people that "take many other types of vacations and do travel to other countries where a passport is an absolute necessity." likely have already had Passports for years and are clearly not the first time cruiser you spoke about :)

Edited by ryano

I totally agree. Not to mention the fact that people that "take many other types of vacations and do travel to other countries where a passport is an absolute necessity." likely have already had Passports for years and are clearly not the first time cruiser you spoke about :)

Everyone who ends up with passports has a first passport and everyone who travels out of the country takes a first trip out of the country.

The first time I went to Ireland, I bought a passport. I didn't travel internationally on that passport again, just because I didn't have the money. Didn't make that passport any less worth it!

To me, I think one of the main reasons for needing a passport (correct me if I'm wrong) that if you are in one a foreign country on your cruise and and had some problem that would require you to fly home, you'd need a passport. Personally, I'm not willing to take that chance.

I heard from someone who heard from a friends that some folks 'almost' didn't get on the ship.. they either did or didn't almost ain't an option when boarding a ship.

the one person said in their humble opinion they would get a passport.. they didn't say it was the law. then the attack starts.

Oh I think that will be a national requirement sooner rather than later. at some point I really do believe that the US will require a national ID of some sort. maybe not a passport or passport card valid for international travel but some sort of standard ID card.

Oh I think that will be a national requirement sooner rather than later. at some point I really do believe that the US will require a national ID of some sort. maybe not a passport or passport card valid for international travel but some sort of standard ID card.

they night as well stick with the passport for everyone and make it a combo of passport book & card.. and if for some reason you can't qualify for one, well?

Much more likely that it will be later rather than sooner. The very idea of a national ID card is a controversial one among both conservatives and liberals. The process required to change the passport regulations is a complex and time consuming one. The most recent changes took a couple of years before they were finally put into place and even then the closed-loop cruise exception was included in the final document. Proposed changes must first be posted in the Federal Register, after which a period of time needs to be allowed for public comment, followed by a period when the comments are considered and a revised policy based on those comments is promulgated. Eventually a new law may go into effect, but it is not a simple matter of someone, whether the President or Congress, simply ordering such a change.