Does Inside Guarantee include upper/lowers?

bryanjaync

Considering a quickie cruise on the Fantasy. Would consider an Inside Guarantee but scared of getting one of the Upper/Lower cabins. We are in our mid-50s, and I really don't want the 'bunk beds".

So, we you get an Inside Guarantee, does that include the possibility of the upper/lower too ?

I don't do guarantees, but I'm pretty sure that a few years ago, Carnival changed the policy to include upper/lower cabins. I'm sure one of the other Experts here will be able to confirm that is true (or not)!

I just know I'd be stuck under or over a lounge and not get any sleep (which would NOT agree with me), so I just cough up a few more bucks and carefully choose the cabin I want.

I even have my profile flagged by my PVP to NOT allow "upgrades" (the kind where they move you without you knowing) without my consent. I have received a couple of calls from the Upsell Fairy, which is totally different (no, I haven't taken their kind offers). :p

I would say yes!

Given Carnivals base inside price is now for upper lower and guarantee is the lowest price then if the ship is full you could get an upper/ lower.

Doesn't Carnival have a 1A guarantee and a 4A guarantee? And maybe not on every sailing, but I was thinking both guarantees exist.

Doesn't Carnival have a 1A guarantee and a 4A guarantee? And maybe not on every sailing, but I was thinking both guarantees exist.

that's what I'm thinking. the guarantee's are for a room type, ie: balcony's as well. you pick the room type, pick the guarantee and then they will put you anywhere that's not sold yet.

I agree with the one poster, I like to know where my cabin is going to be VS the guarantee.

I have not heard of anyone being able to book a guarantee and pick what the lowest is that they are willing to accept. The upper/lower rooms (category 1A) are considered an interior, and therefore, would lead me to think that those could get assigned to guarantees. Category PT (porthole rooms with 2 beds) are considered to be lower than 4As, yet they are assigned to guarantees all the time in Fantasy class ships. Maybe someone else on here knows for sure one way or the other about the 1As, but I'm not sure.

One of our experts around the boards used to get mad at anyone who would suggest that you could get a 1A with a guarantee, saying that even though it wasn't in the writing anywhere, that Carnival reps assured her that they didn't do that. But a couple years ago, she came on here and said that they apparently did away with that unwritten rule, and were starting to assign 1As to guarantees.

I have read of people booking things such as a "4C guarantee". I questioned them about it, and they said that it was some kind of special deal that was only available to a select few people; maybe their own special group of some sort. But with those bookings, it was very explicit that this higher category of interiors was the lowest they would get. If there is nothing explicitly stating that, I would think you could get a 1A. Ordinarily, you cannot specify a 4C or a 4A or anything like that as the lowest you'll accept.

I have not heard of anyone being able to book a guarantee and pick what the lowest is that they are willing to accept. The upper/lower rooms (category 1A) are considered an interior, and therefore, would lead me to think that those could get assigned to guarantees. Category PT (porthole rooms with 2 beds) are considered to be lower than 4As, yet they are assigned to guarantees all the time in Fantasy class ships. Maybe someone else on here knows for sure one way or the other about the 1As, but I'm not sure.

One of our experts around the boards used to get mad at anyone who would suggest that you could get a 1A with a guarantee, saying that even though it wasn't in the writing anywhere, that Carnival reps assured her that they didn't do that. But a couple years ago, she came on here and said that they apparently did away with that unwritten rule, and were starting to assign 1As to guarantees.

I have read of people booking things such as a "4C guarantee". I questioned them about it, and they said that it was some kind of special deal that was only available to a select few people; maybe their own special group of some sort. But with those bookings, it was very explicit that this higher category of interiors was the lowest they would get. If there is nothing explicitly stating that, I would think you could get a 1A. Ordinarily, you cannot specify a 4C or a 4A or anything like that as the lowest you'll accept.

On a couple of occasions we have booked a 4B guarantee room. We wanted the middle of the ship, not the front. Called our TA and told her to book us in a 4B guarantee. When our room was assigned later, that is exactly what we got...a 4B cabin.

If you book online and click Inside Guarantee it is a possibility that you will get bunk beds.

I'm surprised that no one has really given a definitive answer.

Generally, it seems that you pick a guarantee NOT for a particular level (1A, 4A, 4B, etc), but for simply inside, oceanview, balcony.

I'm pretty sure my PVP told me a couple of years ago that Carnival now included 1As in the inside guaranteed cabin pool. So, if you don't want upper/lower on Fantasy, book a 4A. And, yes, now that 1As are the starting point, that makes sense.

Since I either sail with family or friends, it wouldn't bother me to be assigned an upper/lower (I would NOT climb into the bunk, though - I'm too old :p ). I'm much more concerned with getting a terrible location.

For me, the few extra dollars to pick my cabin is worth it to get one where I want it to be. And if I thought I had to sleep with someone, I'd also cough up the extra dollars. ;)

This doesn't answer the question directly but we once booked a (balcony) guarantee and were not thrilled with the cabin we got.

No problem, we just ended upgrading to a cabin we wanted. We took a chance and it didn't work out but there was really no risk.

This strategy may not work if the ship is very full or close to the sailing date.

We were assigned our guaranteed cabin well before sailing and had a good choice of cabins to upgrade to.

The difference in $$'s wasn't that big.

OP: For the Fantasy (cannot speak for other ships), during the checkout, in the right side at the bottom it does state that the guarantee (Pack and Go was the only avenue to a guarantee that I found, not a per level like 4A etc) for an inside may include uppers and lowers.

So for $20 more a person, I can get an oceanview guarantee (again thru Pack and Go promotion), so will play it safe and go that route if i decide to book

This is just one person's experience, but I have booked an "inside guarantee" cabin on Carnival on a New Year's cruise once, and I ended up with the two regular twin beds that were combined into a king. HTH - but I think you can end up with the bunk beds - I am pretty sure my DH and I thought that could happen, but we decided we would save the money and take a chance.

My thought on this (and it could be very wrong) is that there is a certain type of cruiser that wants those bunk beds (friends, people with kids, who knows) and there are less of those rooms, so they usually fill, leaving the "inside guarantee" people with the regular inside rooms. IDK

Edited by GatorGirl57

My husband and I booked a last minute Ecstasy cruise on an inside guarantee. Our PVP warned me that we could get an upper/lower with the Pack and Go guarantee. Got our room assignment and....you guessed it....upper lower. We are proud parents of five and grandparents to 11, so we weren't comfortable with the ladder. We took the mattress down and put it on the floor....worked just fine and we had an awesome cruise. But, yes, it can happen. Have a great time whatever you decide. :D