Should I come back to Carnival? Very conflicted.

frayedend

I have a question for you? My sons 15 and 17 now would not do the carnival kids club (they were 12 and 14) they spent their time with our family and we had a really good time. You mentioned they liked rci better. I thought they had basically the same to do on board (not talking allure here just their other ships) What is better on rci? just asking because we are planning another.

and, I personally would do the allure. I so want to take my kids on that one.

If that question is for me, well they were younger on RCL so it's not necessarily that it will be a lot better. That's part of why I was asking. But that being said, there is the water surfing thing, there is the zip line, there is ice skating. Then there seems to be more choices of shows, and better quality. Now if they hadn't been on Carnival before they would do fine, as they did the first time we went on Dream. But they've seen the Carnival shows and they aren't that impressed. I still have no idea what shows are on the Valor. But the diving show on Allure intrigues them. They like action themed things. But they also enjoy musicals so while Chicago may not be the best thing for young boys, they'll certainly be entertained with it. They will enjoy ice shows as well and 3D theater. It just seems there is a lot of stuff to keep them busy on Allure.

If that question is for me, well they were younger on RCL so it's not necessarily that it will be a lot better. That's part of why I was asking. But that being said, there is the water surfing thing, there is the zip line, there is ice skating. Then there seems to be more choices of shows, and better quality. Now if they hadn't been on Carnival before they would do fine, as they did the first time we went on Dream. But they've seen the Carnival shows and they aren't that impressed. I still have no idea what shows are on the Valor. But the diving show on Allure intrigues them. They like action themed things. But they also enjoy musicals so while Chicago may not be the best thing for young boys, they'll certainly be entertained with it. They will enjoy ice shows as well and 3D theater. It just seems there is a lot of stuff to keep them busy on Allure.

Yes that was to you. I wasn't talking about the allure or oasis just their other ships that don't have all the stuff. We have never gone on royal and I was just wondering. I can hardly talk my boys into going with me unless their sisters go. Not trying to hijack your post. Which ever you choose I'm sure you will have a blast.

From what you're describing it sounds to me like you really don't want to do Carnival as it just wasn't a good fit for your kids, and that you all think it would be fun to try one of RCCL's highly rated mega ships. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like you're leaning in that direction, but tempted by the go with friends offer. Your kids would probably be doing the same things they've done on Carnival in the past, but with the friend too. What are your thoughts on that? It would not be appealing to me to have them in the arcade that much.// It also to me sounds like your family as a whole might like land vacations more than cruise vacations. That's what our family prefers. Although, there are certainly things we like about cruising too, and we will be doing out third family cruise -- Did one with a big extended family group in 2008, one on our own in 2012, and will actually be doing another in 20 days. // Maybe you could plan a future trip with that other family that is appealing to both families.

Your post is interesting to me too as we're doing a cruise on the Valor with DS (18 -- senior in HS) and some extended family (but not DS's cousins as they have different spring breaks -- all in college or out now with first job and little vacation time or money), and I question this being that great a vacation choice with DS. DH picked the spring break vacation this year subject to DS and I being reasonably enthused about the choice. And hey, I think my husband should have some input on a vacations every once in a while. We do have a good deal too giving us about $1400 off the cruise (first two people -- balcony fare for free), so cruise portion is only paying for taxes, a midship upgrade, and cruise for DS (under $600) base prices before tips, excursions, hotel before, miscellaneous expenses, etc., and I have to say that this deal swayed us a little too. Still like what you're describing, our overall vacation budget with air, dog in Kennel, two nights ahead of time in San Juan, food not on ship, excursions, spending money, we're looking at a vacation price tag of about $5000. // DS is above the age for the O2 club and wouldn't be interested in doing that anyway, and I have a feeling DS will be fine, but that this will be a quiet week for him with lots of hanging out with mom and dad and grandma and grandpa vs. kids his own age. He might meet some others his age to hang with, but I sure wouldn't put money on it or count on it. And he might not even be able to text his girlfriend or friends at home while on the ship and outside of the US due to costs, checking with Verison to see about costs of a plan for him while on board. But I've already told him, he'll probably due to cost only be able to use the phone when he is off the ship in San Juan and St. Thomas, since they are in the US. All in our extended family enjoy DS so much, and he likes hanging with us too. But without cousins or friends along and/or making some new friends, I don't think this will be a be all and end all vacation for him.

Edited by kathy884

From other posts:

Originally Posted by TheCalicoCat View Post

Until my son can afford to pay for the vacation, he does not get a say in the vacation. You are the parent make a parent choice. You are in charge of your budget, etc. Who worked for the tax refund/vacation? You kids should be thankful that they get a vacation. How many of their friends have been on a cruise?

Make the kids pack a book & have the read it when they complain about being bored.

There is a HUGE difference between a 6 year old and a 13 year old. Heck at 12, my son was thrilled with cruising. At 13, he enjoyed the pizza...13 can be a hard age.

IMO I'd go with the Allure in a heartbeat.

CalicoCat, I think that when children are little especially (within reason, of course, can't be something totally inappropriate for children), they are totally into doing whatever you do.

But for us and I think the tendency of so many parents including OP, especially as our children get older, is that a family vacation is just that, a family vacations and the main point is having fun together. They grow up so fast, and I'm a sucker for enthusiasm too. If kids have a particular interest, it's so much fun to cater to that, see the delight in their eyes, and their enthusiasm is just so contagious (just makes my day and my vacation).

Also, as adults so many of us have already traveled a lot, been there and done that, so we really don't have huge preferences about where to go or what to do, so why not give the kids a big say. Of course, this has to be within reason, and children may not even know some great choices or realize they would probably love something that they have never been exposed too, and that's where parents come into play (There are some things you just really would like to expose your children too that they just don't know about or would never pick). It's always the person who is paying's choice, but that choice is often catering to the kids big time.

Maybe it's just how I grew up -- my parents let me start picking where to go on vacation subject to their approval when I was 10, and lol I do the same thing with my kid a lot of the time.

Edited by kathy884

My suggestion is to go on the cruise with your friends. Having friends to hang out with on a ship makes the vacation much more enjoyable, in my opinion. Our daughter would probably hate a vacation with just her parents. However, we are about to take her on her 4th cruise with friends. She doesn't participate in any of the teen clubs. She generally hangs out with them. They seem to keep themselves entertained. Our only requirements are they have to be at dinner with our group and they must be in their room by our assigned time each evening.

We are going with a large group on our next cruise. There are children that range in ages from 11-19. We booked the Sunshine because it offers so many activities. I have no idea if the kids will participate in those activities, but they will be there for them to try.

If you go on the Valor this year (and save some money), then maybe next year your friends might want to join you on a different ship that you select.

Regardless of which ship you select, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Yes that was to you. I wasn't talking about the allure or oasis just their other ships that don't have all the stuff. We have never gone on royal and I was just wondering. I can hardly talk my boys into going with me unless their sisters go. Not trying to hijack your post. Which ever you choose I'm sure you will have a blast.

Ahh, I may have misspoken when I said they like RCI better. They like what they see online for the Oasis/Allure better for sure. They seem super excited when I show them stuff. I keep asking them if they had fun on Carnival. They did but said mostly because they were in the arcade. That's not what I want for them. The did go on Mariner but were younger. They ice skated there and watched all the shows but really too young to compare at this point.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think it's clear that there is good reason to be conflicted. Good points on both sides. A couple more details just to reply to some of the posts...

Heck maybe we flip a coin.

At this point I am leaning toward Allure. The price difference isn't that significant to me.
If the price difference isn't significant to you , then perhaps you have your own answer.
My 6 year old does love our vacations, he is excited to be going on his 7th cruise

We just have different expectations. Mine is that we will have fun, & to me it sounds like yours is that your kids won't appreciate a cruise vacation.

Having taken my first real cruise after age 50, kids who are well on their way to top cruise loyalty status blows my mind.

Good for them. I am not making a negative comment. It just amazes me .

Well, what a strange trip it's been figuring this out. We actually ended up going Carnival with friends. Not where I thought we would end up. We told our friends that they need to plan now for Allure or Oasis next year with us. But the ports for Valor were really good. We like the idea of San Juan so we are flying in 2 days early. Overall this will probably cost more than Oasis with all the ports and stuff.

But we will be with friends. It will be fun.

Not being blessed with children of my own, I sometimes think about the activities I would have done with them. I know for a fact, that if I planned a family vacation, I would choose places that would have activities geared towards my kids. I'm a firm believer in creating fond memories of one's childhood:). Being on a cruise allows both children and adults to have a good time, therefore, the Allure seems like a great choice. They will also build on their friendship with the other couple's child which is really great as well. In my opinion, I still would want my kids to be happy while on vacation which would make me content as well.

On, my last cruise I observed quite a few families and their children looked happy! This made me smile from ear to ear.

Enjoy your family and have a super great time on your cruise! I only wish I had this conflict:)

I feel your pain OP.....I've felt that way the past three cruises yearning for what use to be.

I have the Freedom booked for September but if I like Celebrity in April I'm pulling the plug on, LOAD SCREAM TV LIDO DECK, NO CALYPSO MUSIC ANYWHERE,NO TABLE CLOTHS, NO PORTERHOUSE IN SPECIALTY DINING, just to name a few.....

Edited by going2cruz

Well, what a strange trip it's been figuring this out. We actually ended up going Carnival with friends. Not where I thought we would end up. We told our friends that they need to plan now for Allure or Oasis next year with us. But the ports for Valor were really good. We like the idea of San Juan so we are flying in 2 days early. Overall this will probably cost more than Oasis with all the ports and stuff.

But we will be with friends. It will be fun.

Sounds like a problem solved. Do note that Allure will be over in Europe next summer, so you'll be looking at Oasis if you go in the summertime. Have a great time!

Edited by Dave85

Sounds like a problem solved. Do note that Allure will be over in Europe next summer, so you'll be looking at Oasis if you go in the summertime. Have a great time!

Good to know. Thank you. Either ship is fine as far as I'm concerned. But that definitely limits things and may mean higher prices.

That's a tough age. If you are traveling during the summer, there should be plenty of other kids for yours to meet and hang out with. Now, off season can be challenging.

Personally, we pick cruises primarily based on the ports of call. I would choose the Valor and cruising with friends: hands down. How often do you get the opportunity to cruise with friends? Just pick the Allure for the next cruise vacation.

We enjoy jam-packed days of exploration in port, and use the ship as more of a place to relax. However, it sounds like your family prefers jam-packed entertainment/activities on the ship. And that makes it tough, especially if they do no like to hang out at camp. The Circle C program (12-14 years) offers a different atmosphere than Camp Carnival. Kids typically use this as a place to meet up and then head off for independent fun.

Regardless of which you choose, I cannot imagine you will have a boring vacation. Happy sailing!